Brandon is checking in - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2021, 09:12 PM   #1

Name: Brandon
Trailer: On the hunt
California
Brandon is checking in

Hello everyone,

Thanks for letting me join this forum. Glad this website exists. I’ve been stuck on the fiberglass trailer search for awhile now. Really just love how unique they are. For me I don’t want anything too large or heavy, so the fiberglass trailers really catch my eye. Particularly, I really want a 4 person (adults) 16-17ft fiberglass trailer with a wet bath. So in my case I’ve been hunting for a Casita (heritage), Scamp 16ft (layout #4, deluxe A or C), or Bigfoot Gaucho. The search is constant and definitely making my wife crazy. I’ve had a few trailers slip through my hands, which was a real bummer. To my suprise it’s slim pickings here in SOCAL, so I’m willing to drive. Thanks again everyone.
Bmontes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:38 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Brandon!

Since you mention 4 adults, be aware that many of the upper bunks are weight limited. I believe Casita says theirs is good for 75#. Scamp does not publish a weight limit, and I was told 150# when I called, but based on our experience with growing teens, I’d say more like 120# tops.

Some people have rebuilt the bunks to be a lot more robust, typically at the cost of being able to convert to day seating.

You should also know that many “double” beds are quite small, too. The rear dinette bed in Scamp’s layout 4 is 45”x76” (same as our 13’er). Head-to-toe sleeping in separate tapered bags makes it roomier for two. Bigfoot’s beds are also narrow in the 17G. The Casita 17’ is widest at 54”, same as Scamp’s deluxe models. Escape also offers a front bunk option on its 17’er, but I haven’t seen many used units with the bunks.

Four full-size adults is going to get cozy in many molded trailers.

And yes, they are hard to come by. Family-friendly bunk models are even rarer. Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:04 AM   #3

California
Hey Jon,

Thanks for al the helpful info. I was aware that the bunk beds were on the weaker side. But I didn’t know about the dinettes being smallest in the scamp. I’ll keep that in mind when considering the right trailer.

But I figured it would be cozy.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #4

Name: sharon
Trailer: in the market
Arizona
FB camper

Saw 2 listed today, 2012 casita in Tennessee and Gaucho in Washington. Good luck.
arizona life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #5

California
Yeah I saw the Bigfoot in Seattle. I messaged the owners, she was very nice. Too bad, it’s just a little too far. Good looking out
Old 06-08-2021, 12:40 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I don't see the 17 foot Escape on your list, I think they came in two layouts.

My Eescape 21 'classic', the dinette converts to a queen bed that easily sleeps two large adults, and the main bed is a Full XL (almost a queen, but 6" narrower) with a real mattress.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:35 AM   #7

California
Your right, I haven’t actually put too much time into Escape trailers. I would consider them, it’s just the 1-2 times they have popped up the last couple of months they are too far or too expensive. But they definetly look really nice. I like the 19 footer too.

I might have to consider paying someone’s to transport a trailer if the right deal pops up, if the seller is willing.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:42 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would not expect to see Escapes getting any cheaper. The market drives price, and the market is on fire right now. How long it stays this hot is anyone's guess. But with a two year order backlog, I think it is going to be a while. And Escapes on the used market have always been relatively rare. I looked for almost a year to find mine.

To sleep four adults, an Escape 19 or a 17A (no bath) would be the bare minimum. Note, the front dinette on the Escape 19 is 44 inches across, so we are talking pretty cozy. On the other hand, that's about the size of the bed in a Scamp unless you opt for the big bed option.

An Escape 19 is going to take a serious tow vehicle, either one of the 5,000 pound tow rated SUVs (some Honda Pilots, some Toyota Highlanders and some others), or a pickup truck. I tow mine with an F150, easy. And a four door pickup will have room for five adults.

CA to WA state is relatively close in the world of FG trailers, and can make a nice road trip. Heck, buying a new Escape means a trip to BC, Canada.

I don't see four adults in a Casita or a Scamp 16, unless one is sleeping on the floor.

The door placement (further back on the trailer) allows the Escape 17 to have a front dinette of reasonable size to accommodate two and a rear bed. The Casita and Scamp doors are too far forward to allow this, leaving a narrow space in front of the door.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:08 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmontes View Post
Your right, I haven’t actually put too much time into Escape trailers. I would consider them, it’s just the 1-2 times they have popped up the last couple of months they are too far or too expensive. But they definetly look really nice. I like the 19 footer too.

I might have to consider paying someone’s to transport a trailer if the right deal pops up, if the seller is willing.
FWIW, when an Escape 21 popped up as availabe, we drove from Reno to Dallas to tow it back. We had a Tacoma 4x4, which towed it quite reasonably, however, teh gas mileage and payload were too small so we ended up getting a larger truck.

Careful with those 4-door pickups, that extra large cab takes a big hit out of the payload, for an example a 2008 Tacoma 4x4, my 'access cable' (mini back seat) had a 1200 lb payload, but the crew cab 4 door version the same year only had a 1000 lb payload. 4 adults, and boom, not much left for gear or tongue weight.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #10

California
Your exactly right. I have a 4 door truck, it’s a Gen 1 Ford Raptor. You’d think because it has a 6.2l engine and is a so big, it would tow a mountain. But the payload is only 1180 and 8000lbs max towing. So once I throw 4 people in the car, add 300lb tongue weight and gear; it’s cutting it close.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
All the big three manufacturers trucks, as you go up the model line, payload drops, a lot. I find it funny Ford calls one of their nicest models a "King Ranch". Certainly a King Ranch would have great payload, right? Nope. Its something to really guard against. Meanwhile their bare bones XL model can have 2,000 pound payload or more. Of course, there is the heavy duty payload package, but unless you order your truck, you don't see those on the lot. Ford does a similar frustrating (to me at least) thing with their towing package. Turns out there are THREE different towing packages. The lowest version is a joke. The top version is very complete. Since I bought my truck used, it had the "joke" tow package and marginal payload. I see in 2021, Ford has FOUR different F150 tow packages. And max tow package does not give you max payload. Thats a separate option.

And everything you add after the factory comes out of payload: bed cover, bed side steps, tow mirrors, spray in liner, etc.

Now its not like your truck will ass-plode if you go over the payload limit. But its frustrating. Meanwhile, Ford touts its really high tow ratings. I can pull a trailer at this rating as long as I am not hooked up to it......

Ford also has three different frame thicknesses. The heaviest gauge steel comes with the HDPP.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote