Bucket List - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

Name: Lynne
Trailer: Shopping
South Carolina
Bucket List

Hey! I’m Lynne from SC and want to drive cross country. Looking for a small used trailer that I can handle myself. This might be a girl’s trip! Wanting it to sleep 3-4. Thanks for suggestions and advice.
LBFallaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Lynne,
Welcome to the FGRV forum. You'll find lots of people here to help you. Of course, everyone has their own opinion as to what is their favorite RV. If you can visit a group in your area, that is a great way to get to know the RVs and their people. Your price range and tow vehicle will be limiting factors.

We bought our trailer new as we could not find a used one that fit our needs. We have a 2011 Scamp 13' without a bath and love it for the two of us. Technically, it sleeps 4 (2 in the dinette convertible bed area and 2 in the couch that converts to a bunk). I've slept on the bottom bunk it's OK but tight (I'm 5'4" of average weight).

Many people start camping with a "pop-up camper" which has a low profile for towing and cranks open to reveal lots of bed room on each end and a kitchen/dining area in the middle. The price is low and maintenance is minimal. The downside is that you have to crank it open and closed and it may not provide the best shelter in inclement weather.

Have fun with your search.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:02 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBFallaw View Post
Hey! I’m Lynne from SC and want to drive cross country. Looking for a small used trailer that I can handle myself. This might be a girl’s trip! Wanting it to sleep 3-4. Thanks for suggestions and advice.
Welcome Lynne. We can be of more help to you if we know what you are planning to use as a tow vehicle. That alone adds or subtracts different TTs.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:38 AM   #4

South Carolina
Thanks Gilda and Dave for your replies!
I’ll be using my Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I really like the layout of the Lil Snoozy, but used ones are hard to find.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
3 or 4 adults? Or a couple of adults and a couple small children?
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #6

South Carolina
Adults
Old 05-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
3 to 4 adults changes everything. For instance my Escape 19 two would get the queen size bed in back, two would get the 44 inch wide bed in front. Very few of the fiberglass trailers are sized to sleep four adults.

Short of one person sleeping in the Jeep, FG options are very limited. The two most common FG trailers you will see are Scamp and Casita. Front bunks in many of the trailers are narrow and not sized for two adults. Now two could sleep outside in a tent, that works. Or s popup mentioned above will work too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I find Scamp and Casita front and side bunks adequate for a smaller adult. They're about 23-25" wide. I'm 5'7", 160#, and sleep regularly on the lower front bunk of our Scamp. Upper bunks are weight-limited for children on most trailers.

You should also be aware that the rear dinette is only 44-45" wide on most 16' Scamps and Casitas. Only for two adults who are... ahem... well-acquainted.

Most small FG trailers are really only good for two adults when separate beds are needed, three if you're willing to give up the bathroom.

You might also want to investigate the tow rating of your Jeep. Ratings vary quite a bit depending on year, engine, and equipment. Your owner's manual will tell you what you need, and a dealer can help you assess what you've got. Let us know what you find out.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote