Burro Rehab - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #1

Name: Dusty
Trailer: Burro
Maine
Burro Rehab

Hello All.

We bought a used 1999 Burro 17' wide body a couple of years back and have been slowly rehabing it. 2 steps forward, 1 step back approach.

I am not sure how this rig was assembled, or even where, as there were some interesting shenanigans going on with Burro around this time as it eventually closed up shop in 2000, I believe.

I say this because the floor was unfinished raw fiberglass. A previous owner had cut sections of birch plywood and laid that down for the floor, but it was rotting from an undetected window leak and I have removed it.

My question is: has anyone used any type of filler such as epoxy to fill the floor and have it finished off as the finished floor? Or any other suggestions?
There are no straight edges or plum walls and getting the floor/wall seal is an interesting challenge.

Thanks!

Dusty
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180603_164127935.jpg  
Dusty batley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #2

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
From my understanding, the floors were never really finished beyond a fiberglass coating on either side of the plywood floor. You could put an underlayment down with another flooring of your choice, like laminate flooring.

Are you saying there was plywood laid down on top of the fiberglass part? My burro 13'er had some sort of foam laid down and I found that the plywood is rotted with some of the fiberglass (especially from the bottom) had failed. You may have to install a new plywood floor to get a good solid base. That usually involves moving the shell off the frame.

If the floor isn't too bad, but has a soft (not wet/mushy) spot, then maybe a penetrating epoxy could help soak into the affected areas.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #3

Name: Dusty
Trailer: Burro
Maine
Thanks.

It appears that nothing was installed over the raw fiberglass by the manufacturer.

I have removed all of the plywood that an owner had put in as it was rotten. I have put down ice and water shield on the raw fiberglass to plug any leaks that may be coming up through penetrations in the floor. I am not able to remove the camper from the frame. I have laid down a sub floor of 1/2 inch ply and then put 3/16" underlayment over that to hold the sub floor pieces in place. My plan is to put peel and stick VCT over that.

But before I go to that, I thought I would at least ask if anyone has tried pouring an epoxy type coating surface over the raw fiberglass and use that as the finish floor.

Dusty
Dusty batley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: BURRO
Massachusetts
floor

I have a 98 I bought last year. It had a rug that was on top of the fiberglass
covered ply wood. I took it out and it probably looks like yours. Yours probably had the same. I saw some PVC floor that I liked at Lowe's It goes together like an exercise mate but would need a quarter inch of underlayment to raise it up a little to get it flat around the walls and cabinet attachment points. Right now I am just using the puzzle type exercise mat temporarily why I do other work.
Greg in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: BURRO
Massachusetts
floor

here is mine
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1216.jpg  
Greg in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro