Buying a Bigfoot - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2023, 02:33 PM   #41

Name: Beth
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Thanks for posting, I had heard it might be possible to delete the dinette. I’m a pianist so would like to build a piano writing bench along the wall, and my wife would prefer the open floor space to do a Japanese style seating arrangement.

You have to keep the long bench on the driver's side. The hot water tank, breaker box, outside shower, etc. is under that bench on the left side.

But you should be able to ask your Dealer to delete the dinette and table to get the rest of the open floor space.
That open space in that picture is where the optional Theatre Seating goes.

One picture the people deleted the dinette and put their own freestanding gray recliners there. But the had to keep the long dinette bench on side wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Recliners.jpg  
Attached Images

Brad-Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:43 PM   #42

Name: Dan
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad-Beth View Post
You have to keep the long bench on the driver's side. The hot water tank, breaker box, outside shower, etc. is under that bench on the left side.
There’s two on that side, the taller one with the cabinet doors and the lower one next to the theater seating - which one needs to be kept? Or both?
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 03:09 PM   #43

Maryland
Quote:
There’s two on that side, the taller one with the cabinet doors and the lower one next to the theater seating - which one needs to be kept? Or both?
You have to keep that whole side wall, it stores the hot water tank, it is stored either under those cabinets or under the long bench.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:26 PM   #44

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Our delivered 25 RQ has the small sky light it’s 1/2 the size of the older version. I like it fine. The oven has been useful as I spent a winter month in Oregon it also works fine we also have a portable induction cooktop. The outside shower I debated but kept it for rinsing off sandy feet, I might delete it if I was to do it again we will see with our beach camping this summer. The black tank rinse will be handy I expect. One thing we did was get Bigfoot to pre wire for an inverter. Saved lots of time and hassle. We like our dinette. It’s also easy to remove if we want. The batteries are located under the passenger seat for climate control so removing the dinette would entail batteries back outside or a long run under the bed. We also like our extended box, we have the truck to pull the trailer and storage is excellent. I’m careful in campground booking to get sites with enough room. No opinion on the front window yet, winter trip across the US so I didn’t open the cover. A big thumbs up for the sliding shower door. Across the country I had no issues with gas stations accommodating the rig. Plan your access when you get ready to pull in.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 04:27 PM   #45

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
I’m in a more unusual situation, as I’ll be towing it with a Silverado EV (note - pure electric not a hybrid) next year. This looks like a good group, mature enough for me to mention this. Some other forums (cough Airstream^h^h^h) can’t have an adult conversion about differing power trains without people losing their heads.

Anyhow, no EV chargers presently support towing. The RV lobbying group is working with the NEVI group for the federal charging, and GM is pouring a billion dollars into a charging network at Flying J’s which will be tow friendly. In the meantime there’s a YouTube channel of a couple towing a 30’ Airstream with a Rivian and Lightning, and it’s working just fine for them as it is now.
Dan you may want to google "Lightship travel trailer". Very interesting and there may even be someway to use that tech in our trailers.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:07 PM   #46

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Dan you may want to google "Lightship travel trailer". Very interesting and there may even be someway to use that tech in our trailers.
Thanks, I’ve seen that. However I think it’s a mistake.

First thing is that is the Silverado EV has a 400 mi/200 kWh range, doing a careful analysis I estimate that I’ll require only one charge on a typical driving day (which will complete by the time we’re done with lunch), including base and towing efficiency. I’ve also analyzed a dozen trips we’d take and am finding abundant charging.

Second is that I think the idea of combing traction and housing (THOR/Airstream and Winnebago also have prototypes) to be the wrong approach. It makes the trailer heavy and expensive, with inferior non climate controlled batteries. And how often do you upgrade your trailer? I’m hoping not to … whereas battery tech is changing rapidly, GM has 550-600 mile range on the roadmap for 2026. So just upgrading your truck when you want something new will give you all sorts of new capabilities.

The guys that started that company look like a couple of newbs anyhow, basically worked for Tesla and on a COVID roadtrip found a (not original) concept that they were able to sell to some VC is my estimation. It’s ugly to my eye anyhow.

What I’d like to see is simply some more aerodynamic considerations. Airstream showed off a ‘EV friendly’ trailer recently, working with Porsche design. Better aero with all the external bits stripped out, but it’s small and oriented towards the younger fashionable crowd. I want a tried and tested, eminently comfortable caravan.

OT the Bigfoot looks reasonably aero. It’s got some kind of slope up front, and the front storage might well help mitigate the suckout that occurs between trailer and truck. Underside is OK, but it does have bulges for tanks and such … I’m kicking around ideas for the AC to avoid that thing flapping in the breeze, maybe some kind of ductless mini-split.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:58 PM   #47

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad-Beth View Post
You have to keep that whole side wall, it stores the hot water tank, it is stored either under those cabinets or under the long bench.
OK, shouldn’t be a problem, I can turn that long bench into a desk I think.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:23 AM   #48

Maryland
Quote:
OK, shouldn’t be a problem, I can turn that long bench into a desk I think.

You could take the cushions off of the long bench. It is a wood top, I think the bench seats lift up. Maybe someone can post a picture.

You can build a desk off of that bench platform. Google "Lift Up Computer Desk". When you don't need it, it folds flat down on like a scissor jack platform. Or maybe a desktop that slides out, or flips forward (like the old secretarial desks they had for writing letters), and you can fit a chair underneath.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:07 AM   #49

California
Yah thanks - Bruce got me the measurements, I'm playing with a mockup in Blender
Attached Thumbnails
Mockup.jpg   Mockup2.jpg  

Old 03-19-2023, 06:30 AM   #50

Name: Shawn
Trailer: 2021 Bigfoot 25B25RT. Prior units: 2019 Escape 21, 2001 Casita SD17
Kentucky
When I ordered our previous Escape 21, I was adamantly against any extra holes in the the outer shell. When we were in the process of ordering a new Bigfoot last year I was following that same thought process, as luck would have it we bought a used 2021 Bigfoot 25rt which was 3 months old and we took what it had including the front box. After a year of use here are my thoughts:
-Love the skylight in the bath, could take or leave the one in the dining area.
-The front window is awesome, really opens up the area for an airy feeling.
-No shower needed
-We did not use the toilet in the Escape for #2, with the Bigfoot our camping has changed, I would not delete the black tank washout. Both grey and black tank capacity in this trailer is awesome. We can camp for a week on water and tank capacity.
-Front dinette is a nice place to spend time, we have the long leather bench on the drivers side and short two person or the passenger side. We use two 28"x28" throw pillows on each side as cushions to lay back on the front wall to watch tv, very comfortable.
-Not much of a tv watcher but we have a 12v tv in front and back in the bedroom with the outside king jack ant, surprised how often we use this. We have never had a setup like this before.
-Love the rear twin beds
-Storage in this camper is great, we have many open spaces.
-next on my list is to install solar, really miss this from the Escape.
Hope this helps
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:58 PM   #51

Ohio
Quote:
Yah thanks - Bruce got me the measurements, I'm playing with a mockup in Blender
Nice, I play fiddles so room needs are less, on the road music is fabulous. I’ll write a few new tunes on the road this year
Old 03-22-2023, 06:42 PM   #52

California
My wife is trying the violin, so maybe that’ll come along if she can start practicing regularly. When I was playing professionally it was clarinet which I’ll bring along too to keep the chops up.

Anyhow not so sure about ripping out the back, but I gotta have 88 keys with a halfway decent action … what’s the height of the dinette and the seat height? Maybe I can just plunk the keyboard on top of that and play without killing myself.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:23 PM   #53

Ohio
Next time I stop out at my trailer I’ll measure it for you
Old 03-23-2023, 06:08 AM   #54

Name: Shawn
Trailer: 2021 Bigfoot 25B25RT. Prior units: 2019 Escape 21, 2001 Casita SD17
Kentucky
Quote:
My wife is trying the violin, so maybe that’ll come along if she can start practicing regularly. When I was playing professionally it was clarinet which I’ll bring along too to keep the chops up.

Anyhow not so sure about ripping out the back, but I gotta have 88 keys with a halfway decent action … what’s the height of the dinette and the seat height? Maybe I can just plunk the keyboard on top of that and play without killing myself.
I keep my 25rt at my house, after work I will measure the height of the table and height of the belly seam/front window.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:41 PM   #55

Name: Jane
Trailer: Shopping
Texas
Has anyone installed a wave 3 or similar heater?
What about a mini split air conditioner?
I am interested adding both to a Bigfoot 25Rq/tb.
Jane S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot