Buying a trailer US to Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 03:22 AM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Manitoba
Buying a trailer US to Canada

Hello,Does anyone have any information on bringing a small travel trailer if bought in US used and into Canada? re: duty taxes etc.
can it be just the exchange rate per dollar as this is the sale of a used item ? without the whole duty ...tax ...load etc? Thankyou.
bozlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:53 AM   #2

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Buying a trailer US to Canada

Hi you should Google the Canada Customs and U.S. Customs web sites to get information in importing a vehicle. Things change a lot in a year ! Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Decide which crossing you will use and call that crossing and ask. I did the exact opposite as I went to Canada and brought a trailer back to the U.S, I did not have everything in order as the manufacturers decal was missing. It helped tremendously that I had called this station and talked with agents on more than one occasion. They remembered me and this helped me bring it into the country. If you have all your paperwork in hand it's not a big deal at all but if even one thing is iffy it's best to have established some type of relationship.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Get the cheapest receipt you can as you will pay six % tax at the Border and 7% when you register at service Canada. You will also be required to pay a $280.00 fee to RIV regardless of the size of the trailer and be required to take it to Canadian tire for an inspection which is included in your RIV fee. There is no assessed value on a used trailer like they have on autos just keep the receipt reasonable.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Get the cheapest receipt you can as you will pay six % tax at the Border and 7% when you register at service Canada.

Commit fraud in other words.
Recent episode of Border Security featured a guy trying to import a motorcycle with a bogus declaration of what he paid for it. Cost him thousands in fines.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Just to add if it is more than 15 years old I believe you do not have to do the RIV part (payment and inspection) which is nice.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Summer 2017 I purchased a 2013 Escape 15B in USA and imported it back into Canada. Process was mainly painless, except to my wallet. You need to pay GST on your purchase at the border and then you have to go through the RIV program before you can register it in your province. This involved a fee of about $300 and a visit to a registered inspection company (in my case Canadian Tire) to have the trailer inspected. Once it passes the RIV process, they give you a form that allows you to register the trailer. There is no provincial sales tax here in Alberta, so I did not pay any provincial tax, but you may have to pay provincial tax on the trailer when you register it in another province.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote