Buying an EggCamper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Shopping
New Hampshire
Buying an EggCamper?

My wife and I are thinking about getting into small RV-ing. We are interested in the EggCampers and have perused the website and like the idea and construction. Seems much more durable than the typical trailer options we see here in New England. The fibergalss construction and lightweight frame is appealing. Unfortunately, fiberglass campers like these are rare around here so it's near impossible to pick up a used one, noone has them and if they do, they are not getting rid of them. So, we might buy new from the factory. We are thinking about taking a road trip out to Grand Rapids MI to check out the EggCamper facillity. Anyone been there? Is it worth the trip? For those of you who needed to order your camper, how did you do it? Looks like we need to order it and either have it shipped or go pick it up. Looking for some advice in how to purchase what seems like a great little camper.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jason, welcome to FiberglassRV. Yes, a number of folks have made the trip to the manufacturer (and not just the EggCamper). I didn't, I bought used. So, I'll let those that did give you advice.

Whatever you do and whatever molded trailer you decide to buy... you'll be on the road to making a bunch of great memories.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #3

Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I have been there, and whether it's worth the trip is up to you. I drove up from So Florida to Grand Rapids to pick up mine. His "factory" is a small building in a commercial zoned area. My house(or at least the 1/4 acre it sits on) is probably bigger than his factory. Real nice local coffee shop (much nicer than StarBucks) right across the street.

I emailed the owner, got an estimate (base price, option packages, etc). We then called and settled on what options we wanted. He is older guy and does better over the phone than email. Put down a deposit, couple weeks later got my trailer. He does not trust the current durability or reliability of RV gas appliances so only sells electric models right now.

My take is he makes a great, BASIC, fiberglass camper. He follows the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid. It is a perfect platform to make you own with mods and changes. Tows smoothly and built solid. No leaks, squeaks, rattles, etc. However it is a blank slate inside, gloss white gel coat everywhere. My wife likes it because she gets to decorate.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I too owned an Egg Camper and talking with Jim Palmer made me wish I had the pleasure of meeting him. But I purchased mine used and eventually moved on to a bigger camper. It is well built, 17' long out and 14' inside and the biggest/widest of the popular fiberglass campers. It has an useful front bath and large double bed in rear. Being all electric you will need a generator or hookups. The inside is open and easy for modifications to make it your own and if you look at some of my older posts you can see what I did. Enjoy, ps, there is also another company in NC- Parkliner that are manufacturing eggs and Lil Snoozy in SC.
One more thing about Jim Palmer, very honest and forthright. You can send him a deposit and if you go there and do not like the trailer, he will either make it right or refund your money.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #5

Trailer: Shopping
New Hampshire
Thanks so much everyone. Parkliner and Lil Snoozy both look nice. Anyone have any experience with these? The Lil Snoozy seems a bit pricey (for me) for a base model. The parkliner seems perfect.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have owners of both here. The Upper right search brings up many threads. Happy shopping.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
There is going to be a rally in Pennsylvania at the end of June, with attendees from NH, NY, and other NE states. Lil snoozy and Parkliner will also be attending. Why don't you grabs a tent or rent a cabin, it is at a KOA, and come down. You can see first hand the various campers. Here is a link for details
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ite-48233.html
Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
While I didn't get an Egg Camper, I did purchase an Escape 17B. Before purchasing I looked at as many different brands as possible at rallies, etc. I called Escape & they gave me phone numbers for a couple of owners here in the northeast. Went & visited with the owners, talked to them & looked over the trailer. Very helpful in making my decision.

If the Egg Camper is what you want, give them a call to see if they do referrals.

Another rally that might fit your plans is the 5th Annual 2012 Eggscursion April 19 - 22 at the Tremont Outdoor Resort in Townsend, TN. The campground has cabins so you don't need a trailer to attend.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Zorro,

I think Ron F. lives up your way. He may let you check his out if you can contact him. If you like what you see, send Jim a deposit and just make one trip to pick up your EggCamper.

p.s. We just love ours. It is simple, dependable AND VERY SPACIOUS for it's size.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Check out the Scamps too. Minnesota where they are made isn't all that much further.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #11

Registry
Check out this page. Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Here's one on NY.
19' Scamp 5th Wheel | Deer Park, NY | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
or this one...
1991 19ft Scamp 5th wheel | Rochester, NY | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
or this one in Mi
orhttp://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/for-sale/1994-16-scamp-travel-trailer-6500-port-austin-mi
Old 04-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #12

Registry
I screwed up one link. Trying again.

1994 16' Scamp Travel Trailer - $6,500 - Port Austin, MI | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We bought an Egg Camper from Jim Palmer (factory owner) last spring. On our first visit he probably spent a couple of hours showing us the trailer, answering any and all questions. At one instance he insisted that I get down so I could see the whole underside of the trailer. Second visit we made our deposit and ordered the trailer. Third visit we picked it up at the factory and, of course, paying for it. Again there was about a two hour delivery inspection going over everything he showed us on our first visit plus a lot more. There is a large owners manual and a long delivery checklist. While this was going on his office worker (wife?) went to the Secretary of State's office, registered it, applied for the title, and got the license. I might add that we have a friend who is 6'4" tall and he has more than enough headroom. It is wide enough that he would also have no issues with bed length. It tows beautifully with our Chevy 1500 pickup (V8 engine) and get 17 mpg. A slight correction to a couple of earlier posts: the factory is NOT in Grand Rapids. It's in Grandville which is a suburb of Grand Rapids. We're going to a fiberglass rally next month in Indiana and another in Colorado in August. Anyone interested is seeing ours is welcome provided we're not on the road somewhere. There is a bracket on the tongue sized for a Honda 2000 generator. I carried ours there last summer and will not do that again. Even with a propane tank cover on it, it got very dirty. It'll travel in the back of the truck from now on.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It is worth the trip to see the Eggcampers (both finished and in process), but it is not worth the trip to see the tiny "factory". Fortunately you are not thinking of buying the factory, but an Eggcamper! I went and am glad I did. It was worthwhile to see the trailers and to meet Jim. They looked well built and solid. Unfortunately I couldn't justify the price of an egg so I went with a stickie, but you don't have to make the same mistake.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #15

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Hi Jason. I live in Grand Rapids so I visited as I was starting to investigate fiberglass trailers. I liked the construction he uses to minimize potential leaks. I second all the comments on Jim Palmer being a good guy to work with. We are both engineers and hit it off immediately. I searched for months for a used eggcamper but couldn't find one so we bought a used 13' Scamp primarily for cost reasons (the lighter weight is nice also). I'm on the tall side also and liked the eggcamper's wider and taller dimensions. I have used some of the ideas from that camper in modifying my Scamp. I have not visited any other manufacturers so take my comments with a grain of salt. I have heard good things about the other manufacturers as well. It seems the fiberglass culture attracts some good people. Each camper has its own strengths and you have to find what fits you best. Personally I'd do some research on all the major brands and if you still like the eggcamper, call Jim and see if you could arrange a visit with an option to buy. If you want to see a Scamp when you come out let me know because we are close (but there has to be a Scamp closer to you than I am). Eggcampers do seem to be more rare than Scamps or Casitas.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok,,,first off its worth the trip just to visit michigan.

mr.palmer is a good man, and builds a good product at Eggcamper.
they are a little bigger and heavier then the scamp, so your tow vehicle might be a deciding factor. it was for me. i went with a new scamp. for the reason your already finding,,,hard to find a good used one out there.
and when you do, they hold their value. so i went ahead and ordered a new one from scamp. i just picked mine up a few weeks ago and its a 14 hour drive over there from my area.
we gave ourselves three days to come home so we could relax and see the sights.
if you decide to get a new one, i would plan a nice vacation around it. take your time going out and even more time comming home.
you will not be sorry if you buy exactly what you want. only if you settle for less.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I wanted a fiberglass trailer for many years, but being 6' 4" tall I couldn't bring myself to buy one in which I would have to stay stooped over when standing. When I discovered the EggCamper I put down a deposit without ever having seen one in real life. My wife was hesitant because she is somewhat claustrophobic and always felt "closed in" in the other brands of eggs she had been in. We traveled from Florida to the factory to examine our prospective purchase - Mr. Palmer told us that if after looking it over, if we didn't like it for any reason, he would refund our deposit. No need to worry, this was the first "egg" in which my wife didn't feel so "cozy" that she "didn't have room to move," (her exact words). She even felt claustrophobic in the 19' Escape, so rest assured that her problem with the tightness of most eggs isn't shared by very many people on this site - including me.

We both love the openness of the EggCamper; it's 8" wider and 4" higher inside than the big Scamp or Casita. As far as weight goes, I doubt if it weighs any more than the big Scamp, especially the one with the optional wood cabinets, but I don't know of anyone who has actually weighed an EggCamper so the comparison is just a guess. At the one egg rally we attended the universal comment made by all visitors was "it's so big inside!" One person even said "you could dance in here."

Consider the type of camping you will do. If you would like to stay at places that don't have electric hook-ups, you will be handicapped with an all-electric camper. Here in the South all the state parks seem to have electricity so it isn't a problem for us. There are work-arounds, but if I was doing much boon-docking, primitive camping, or parking at Walmart parking lots, and wasn't very tall, I would seriously consider another brand - especially one with propane.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the campers mentioned, but I highly recommend you think long and hard about it, and if possible, visit some before making up your mind.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Propane/Eggcamper

Jim Palmer emailed me about 6 PDF files not that long ago. On the sheet dated 12/1/11, 2012 Eggcamper 17' it list in the options, a propane kit and if I remember right it was about $950.00 and also listed the other options, water heater, stovetop, etc. that could be ordered but required this propane kit. If anyone is interested, send him an email and he can forward you these files like he did for me because they do go into more detail than what you see on the website. If you look through the photo section of the website, I fell in love with the owner one pictured with the red quilted accessories - it is beyond fantastic!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #19

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Zorro,
I'm in NH and have 2007 EggCamper. If you'd like to see an EggCamper, send me a PM and we can arrange a viewing.
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Jim Palmer emailed me about 6 PDF files not that long ago. On the sheet dated 12/1/11, 2012 Eggcamper 17' it list in the options, a propane kit and if I remember right it was about $950.00 and also listed the other options, water heater, stovetop, etc. that could be ordered but required this propane kit. If anyone is interested, send him an email and he can forward you these files like he did for me because they do go into more detail than what you see on the website. If you look through the photo section of the website, I fell in love with the owner one pictured with the red quilted accessories - it is beyond fantastic!
That was mine, "Nest Egg' a 2007 model I bought from the Bergers in Michigan and sold it last year to a couple in Georgia.

Tags
eggcamper