Camper wannabe! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 08:06 PM   #1

Name: Catherine
Trailer: In the market
Georgia
Smile Camper wannabe!

Hi everyone!
I'm a teacher in Marietta, Ga. and have been wanting a camper for years! I had a leaky pop-up for a while, which I think turned my husband off camping. I think I finally have him convinced after seeing his brother's Escape. Now that we are ready to purchase, it has gotten so hard to find a camper now! I'm hoping to find something under 10k that I can tow with my Honda Pilot.
Until the right one comes along, I'm just doing the research. This is such a goldmine of information and advice! Thanks to all of you experienced contributors!
Looking forward to seeing you on the road!
Old 07-03-2020, 04:18 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome Catherine,
Your Honda Pilot is a good tow vehicle. Just keep checking the classified section here on the forum and on fiberglass classified https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.com
Old 07-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum!

Tow rating on Honda Pilots varies from 2000# to 5000# depending on year and drivetrain (2WD or 4WD). What do you have? We have a 2011 2WD, rated 3500/350#. I agree they are excellent tow vehicles for small and mid-size molded fiberglass trailers. Best part is they have full trailer pre-wiring, so towing set-up is fairly easy.

Under $10K means an older unit, so you’ll want to be prepared to do a careful pre-purchase inspection. There’s a helpful Buyer’s Checklist in the Document Center in the More tab at the top right of the page. Are you looking for a a fully equipped unit with galley, wet bath, furnace and A/C or something simpler?

In addition to the classifieds here, an excellent website for used fiberglass trailers is www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. In addition to direct seller listings, they repost ads from Craigslist and eBay and filter out scams, which are common.

Speaking of which, be very cautious if the price is unusually low or if the seller balks at an in-person inspection. The usual scam involves a sob story and a trailer that’s “packed for shipping” so it cannot be viewed. Send the money and they’ll ship the trailer... except there is no trailer. The photos were lifted off the internet. They’re usually pretty obvious.

Best wishes in your “egg” hunt!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:25 PM   #4

Name: Catherine
Trailer: In the market
Georgia
Thank you Jon for all the great advice!
My Pilot is 2006 2W drive, which I think should be ok for my small first camper. I’m looking for something that I can get my feet wet locally or at least regionally. I’d love one with all those amenities you listed, but probably unlikely to find in my size/budget constraints. Going to have to practice patience and possibly flex my budget.
I appreciate the checklist and fraud warnings!
Old 07-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Camper wannabe!

Yes, you have a 3500# tow rating, which should be good for a 13-16’ molded trailer. Honda recommends installing a transmission cooler along with the hitch, 7-pin wiring*, and an electric brake controller. I wouldn’t buy a ball mount until you find a trailer, though, because different trailers require different ball heights and ball sizes.
*Not sure if first generation Pilots are pre-wired or not, but you need full trailer wiring with a brake line and battery charge line.

Getting your vehicle set up now will allow you to act quickly when a trailer comes up for sale, especially if it’s some distance away. Probably obvious, but make sure you’re up to date on all regular maintenance. Things like belts, hoses, tires, brakes, battery, and fluids are all subject to extra demands when towing. If you’ve never towed before, rent a U-haul box trailer for a day and practice.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Here is a good site

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote