Camping with a toddler... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #1

Name: Jen
Trailer: Scamp
OR/WA area
Camping with a toddler...

Does anyone have tips for trailer camping with a toddler? I'm wondering about sleeping arrangements...did you fashion some sort of rail to the bed? Use a pack and play?

We are taking our new-to-us 1977 Scamp on our first real camping trip in a month!

The Pullens
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1440015644.347466.jpg  
Old 08-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Our approach was even simpler. The toddler slept with Mom in the dinette bed, and Dad slept on the cab-over bed (at the time we had a Toyota motorhome). Kiddo sleeps next to the wall, so Mom blocks the only exit. My wife thinks the dinette in our Scamp is too small for two adults, so our "toddler," now 9, still shares the dinette with her, and I share the front bunks with her sister.

If you prefer not to co-sleep, I wouldn't bother with the pack-and-play (unless you want it for outside use during the day). The less baby stuff to pack, the better, in my book. Just set up the front bunks and attach a restraint between the uprights. Perfect little cave, and the upper bunk can be used for baby stuff and clothes (or even a diaper changing platform).

As an alternative to building your own restraint, you can purchase inexpensive removable bed rails that slip under the mattress. This one is $20 from Walmart.com.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toddler Bed Rail.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	87897
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #3

Registry
We took out kids camping from babies to grown up.
Early ages they slept in folding play pens. We were tent camping so the play pen was very close to us. At around age 4 they graduated to their own sleeping bags and tents. And that's the way it's been ever since. We just went camping with two of our girls (our kids were all girls). These two are 4o and 36.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I like this solution:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-63390.html

Should work with your trailer as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #5

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Look at this modification in this thread entered today in Scamp 13 for sale

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-71156.html

Perfect for a toddler
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Chalk us up to cosleeping campers, too! We sleep great...they get so worn out from living that they just crash. We actually don't even use a bed rail before we go to bed, either, just put the pillows on the floor in case (never needed, but you know!)

My advice is to not bring too much. Your toddler will stand and eat at a picnic table or the dinette, doesn't need a bath until you get home (promise), will play with rocks and sticks rather than any toy from home, will follow the sun. Bring sunscreen, but spray, a hat, and a way to carry them on your back easily.

Diapers...stink. We leave them outside in bear free areas or in the provider bear box or in the car in bear areas.

Have fun!
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hear you about not bringing too much... We made the usual beginner's mistake with our first daughter of falling for every gadget that came along. Our first road trip (not camping) we completely filled a minivan... for just three of us! Most of it got used maybe once (just to say we did) and eventually sold at a yard sale for a fraction of the purchase price.

They never told me the most important test of a car seat: how fast can you remove all the cloth pieces, wash the plastic frame, and reassemble. LOL... our second daughter was a projectile vomiter.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Hear you about not bringing too much... We made the usual beginner's mistake with our first daughter of falling for every gadget that came along. Our first road trip (not camping) we completely filled a minivan... for just three of us! Most of it got used maybe once (just to say we did) and eventually sold at a yard sale for a fraction of the purchase price.

They never told me the most important test of a car seat: how fast can you remove all the cloth pieces, wash the plastic frame, and reassemble. LOL... our second daughter was a projectile vomiter.
Us, too! I speak from experience.... You should have seen us in the first trip we took!
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
It's been a long time since I camped with my, now 28 year old, toddler. It's important to keep an eye on them so, make sure everyone knows who is in charge of watching the youngster. In addition, a screenroom might make camping a bid easier with its enclosed sides. Amazon.com : E-Z Up Screen Room for a 10'x10' Dome or Sierra Instant Shelter : Outdoor Canopies : Sports & Outdoors
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #10

OR/WA area
Thank you for all of the tips! This is so great!
Jenblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #11

Name: Dawn
New York
Registry
We just got back from a trip with our 18mo old & we all survived! We installed the exact rail that Jon mentioned above to our bottom bunk. We cut off the strap that wraps under that mattress (it was not secure enough) & bolted down the arms to the fiberglass of the bunk. It worked great, he did not escape once! We brought a few of his favorite toys (people are right tho, he preferred sticks & stones) in a tub, which then functioned as a bathtub if needed. We also brought a collapsible/portable chair that attaches to the table. Not necessary, but helpful!
NedMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
you can get them clean with a wash rag and a plastic pail, same one they use at the beach (in dads opinion anyway) or small plastic dishpan.

Squirt guns, balls, bubbles, and a few beach toys have managed to keep kids (and grandkids) amused for extended periods. At the really young age find the mud and/or pretty rocks.

As a youngster I once rolled through the snaps securing the end of the pop-up canvas to the bed and dropped in my sleeping bag on the ground. What happened? I woke up, just enough go back inside, think mom & dad were more freaked than I was.

Been a lot of toddler bed rail mods to that front bunk posted, but I'm guessing just have something soft down there to land on would be enough unless we are talking young enough that crib is still the norm - even then we humans have a strong natural tendency to NOT roll off of platforms in our sleep.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
Your toddler...........................doesn't need a bath until you get home (promise),...............Bring............but spray........Have fun!
Could be that "but(t) spray" is why they don't need a bath. Sorry, it made me smile and I could not help myself.

I fell out of the upper bunk of our bunk beds when I was 4 or 5. Woke up on the floor the next morning none the worse for wear. My older brother admitted to watching the whole sorry affair from the comfort of the lower bunk. He said I kind of eased out over the side slowly over a period of time and then finally crashed to the floor all at once. It was tough being the youngest brother, but payback is best served up cold. He is 61 and our oldest brother is 71 and their time is coming.....
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #14

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
I started camping with mine when the oldest was 7 mo old. They are 12 and 9 now. We co slept, did the bed rail and now are transitioning them to their own 2 person tent. (Which mostly acts as a mobile play room! )
They always had a mobile playroom now that I think about it. We had an inflatable duck tub. And rechargeable travel nanny cams so they could nap while we were outside the camper. We always have had a toy bag and sometimes traveled with a pac n play so they could play/nap outside when they were tiny

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #15

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I tumbled off of a double bed when I was a baby. Not rolling over yet, but parents discovered when they played C&W music I could KICK hard enough to scoot off the bed onto my head!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #16

OR/WA area
Thanks for the tips, everybody!
I'll co-sleep with the baby. Then, we'll use some sort of bumper for nap times.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV