Can I get 5 or 6 sided Clam into my Casita???? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #1

Name: Stuart
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Can I get 5 or 6 sided Clam into my Casita????

Before we buy one, does anyone have experience getting a 5 or 6 sided Clam while folded up, into the Casita and stored under the bed in the back just for transport...even if it protruded into the aisle.
Can we negotiate the turn from the doorway down the center and scoot it under the bed until we arrive at destination?
Smilinggator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
According to available on-line info, the Clam Venture packed size is 62 inches long.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:14 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I have an older Clam 1660 model, which is a 6-sided 12 ft. diameter screen tent which we've had for several years now. Once it's back in the "stuff sack," and stowed for travel, we've had no problem getting it in and out the trailer door, making the corner, as well as storing it on the floor during transit. Just sayin'.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #4

Florida
The 6 sided Clam we are looking at has a packed length of 74 inches
Old 03-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #5

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I would tape together some cardboard to make a moxk-up and try it before investing several hundred dollars.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 17' Casita
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilinggator View Post
Before we buy one, does anyone have experience getting a 5 or 6 sided Clam while folded up, into the Casita and stored under the bed in the back just for transport...even if it protruded into the aisle.
Can we negotiate the turn from the doorway down the center and scoot it under the bed until we arrive at destination?

With my wife inside and me holding the bag and pushing up from outside, it goes in fairly easy and slide under the bed.

I have been raking my brain finding a good spot to store it outside. A small narrow 'rack' on the roof ledge, on the street side ? Across the top of the propane tanks ? Under the frame in a aluminum tray ? Where else ?
New Orleans John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:30 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
The 6 sided Clam we are looking at has a packed length of 74 inches
Yeah, that's about right. Ours is about 2 inches too long to fit "north and south" in our 6 ft. pickup bed without angling it a little. Same one, or at least same size.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
We wanted to be able to pack a Clam directly in the back of our Dodge Dakota quad cab, which has a bed length of 63".
At the time, Clam only had a 4 sided Clam and a 6 sided Clam. We found that Gazelle had a similar shelter with 5 sides (the Gazelle G5) and it was only 62" long when folded. Perfect fit!
Fast forward to the present and we now have a Ford Ranger with just a 60" bed. Well, at least the bed is wide enough to fit the 62" Gazelle directly width wise, as long as we place it on two small boxes to raise it to the wider space.

The G5 also fits straight in the back of our Dodge Durango, so perhaps just getting a slightly smaller 5 sided Gazelle or 5 sided Clam would work for easier transport?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #9

Florida
Thank you all for the input. Our friends have a 5 sided Clam and we like it BUT we want a 6 sided one because we anticipate 4-6 adults under our cover at times OR only 2 adults with chairs, tables and bicycles to be kept out of the rain.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #10

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Carrying a Clam

I keep my Clam in my SUV while traveling.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #11

Florida
The 6 sided clam will fit in our SUV also but we are anticipating travel with 1-2 grandchildren and did not want to be cramped.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #12

Name: Helen
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
North Carolina
We have the Clam Pavilion and have stored it under the bed in the Spirt Deluxe before we got our truck.
HelenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #13

Name: Ashley
Trailer: currently shopping
Maryland
I can confirm that the clam (140"x140") is indeed 6 feet in length (72") because we just bought one. Good to know that it doesn't quite fit under the bed. For now we are renting a camper van (until we can get into a fiberglass RV) and we just plan to throw it on the floor til we get to our destination and can put it up outside. It's a REALLY nice shelter!
AshleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #14

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Parkliner
Ohio
emergency escape window

We carry my 10' x 30" kayak in our Parkliner by opening the emergency escape window on the back of the trailer and sliding it in on top of the bed. Easy and no going around corners. Not sure if this would would work on a Casita for your clam.
DavenBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:03 PM   #15

Name: Blake & Melissa
Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13
OREGON
Quote:
We had a 13" Scamp with front bathroom, and still have the 11' six-sided Clam. In its original bag, we fit it just fine multiple times on the floor/hall/under the table in Scampo for travel.
PDX Scampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Casita Patriot 17'
California
Quote:

I have a 2007 17" Casita and a 6 sided Clam that packs into a 74" bag. It travels inside my Casita with no problems and I pack it in and out by myself.
JCusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #17

Name: Mikhail
Trailer: in the market
British Columbia
Can anyone tell me what clams you are talking about? Seems like everybody knows what you are talking about and I'm the only one feeling dumb as they only clams I know are those you eat that live in sea or ocean. I have a casita, wonder if I might need those clams too? I wish I knew what they were.
mikhailmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhailmol View Post
Can anyone tell me what clams you are talking about? Seems like everybody knows what you are talking about and I'm the only one feeling dumb as they only clams I know are those you eat that live in sea or ocean. I have a casita, wonder if I might need those clams too? I wish I knew what they were.
Clam is a screen room. They are unique in that they set up quick and easy. They kinda pop open and closed. Have seen one demonstrated being opened and closed but don't own one ourselves. We have a Northern Breeze screen room that we like but set up takes longer
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #19

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
picture of Clam Shelter

For those of us that do better with images:
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:58 AM   #20

Name: Brian & Mary
Illinois
Clam Pavillion fits.

We store ours as exactly that way on the floor of our 2019 Spirit Deluxe 17’. And it’s a Clam Pavillion with the attached screen window covers. We bring it in with the big end first, aimed high to clear the dinette and then slide it under the rear dinette/bed. One person can do this.
Brian n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita