Can I tow 17'Bigfoot with V6 Honda Van - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #21

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Our 2012 Honda Odyssey is a wonderful van and does a good job towing but it's better if you don't push the 3,500 lb. limit. It has unibody construction and the hitch bolts to the rear sub-frame. Check the owners manual: "A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle.An improperly adjusted weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and
braking performance." Our 13' Companion is under 2,000 lbs. and it does well. Be prepared for a reduction in MPG when towing anything. Sometimes I milk the MPG to around 30 when not towing. (Norm does even better).
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #22

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Manitoba
Thankyou Jim, Yes it sounds like a 13' . is better and thankyou for the information on WDH. Sounds like this is not recommended. are anti-sway bars and a brake controller recommended for a 13 ' fiberglass trailer in that weight class.?
bozlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Can I tow 17'Bigfoot with V6 Honda Van

A Honda Odyssey is a unibody vehicle. Conventional wisdom is that body-on-frame vehicles are best for towing, and for heavy trailers that is generally true. However modern unibody vehicles are much improved and make great tow vehicles for smaller trailers.

With an Odyssey I think you could step up to a 15' or 16' if you wanted and could find one, provided it's not too heavily optioned or loaded. A 15' Trillium with front bunk sleeps 4 and has a larger main bed (54" vs. a rather tight 45" on a standard Scamp 13'). It will run around 2200 pounds loaded. A Scamp 16' layout 4 gives you a small bath and layout 7 (rare) gives more space and an extra bed when kids outgrow the upper bunk. Either can be kept under 2500 pounds loaded.

On the other hand, I can testify that a 13' bunk model makes a great starter trailer. It's all a small family really needs, and it's easily re-saleable if you decide you want a larger trailer later.

No WDH is needed, but an anti-sway bar is a simple and inexpensive add-on safety device. Any yes, you want trailer brakes and a controller for anything over 1000 pounds (per your owner's manual), which includes all 13' trailers. Not all have them.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:33 AM   #24

Manitoba
Thankyou.Noted!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:45 AM   #25

Manitoba
Thankyou!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:49 AM   #26

Manitoba
Thankyou for this information! Noted and very helpful. Thankyou.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Jayco
California
Send a message via MSN to stevebarbsmn
Look at yr towing capacity either on line or your owners manual.
stevebarbsmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
+1 regarding Can-Am RV. They modified my 2009 VW Tiguan hitch to support WDH towing for my 16' Airstream Bambi. The best professional advice and friendly service I have ever received in the RV business period.

Even if you can't make it to London Ontario, Andy Thompson and his crew are usually willing to give advice on specific TV/trailer combos.

Have a discussion with them before you give up on your Odyssey.

Your Odyssey is unibody construction.

Just to see what's possible, look what this family tows with their '08 Odyssey
https://medium.com/@andreasduess/you...t-9d469685e6a7
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozlouie View Post
Hello Everyone ,
I am new to this forum and appreciate your help.
We have a 2010 Honda Odyssey Van. I am looking to see if we can tow 17' Bigfoot posted as 2000 lbs dry weight....( but likely more for dry weight estimate).
Honda dealership can put in the "tow package"
..hitch . transmission and stearing wheel coolant radiator systems. The TV manual says 4 passengers
gives you tow capacity of 3000. lbs. ( we have 2 adults and 2 kids ...less weight but then with some bikes this would equal 4 persons weight).
I have read all about tow safety. How to load your trailer...tongue weight...total weight distribution. accunt for total gear.etc We wouldn't need water load as going to mainstream campground not boondocking...Is it reasonable to tow a 17 ' bigfoot with a Honda Odessey ( V6) with tow package from dealership?
Many thanks.
We tow a 17ft Casita with our 2010 Odyssey. Over 30000 miles no problems. Our Honda now has 130k miles. It has the OEM tow package. I added air springs to deal with marginal tongue weight, and an electrical brake controller. We drive 60-65 and, depending on wind get 10-17mpg, average is 14-15mpg. Most trips are my wife and I and often our 80 lb dog. We carry a 2k generator in the van, and remove the middle seats when towing. It’s worked well for us, despite being near the weight limit of the Honda. We’ve crossed 10,000 ft mountain passes and climbed some steep highways, the Odyssey never slowed below 45mph, and on the vast majority of roads can easily do the speed limit (albeit not always in the highest gear). I have a ball mount with a 4.5 inch rise. By opening the rear hatch and with the rear seats down I can back onto the trailer unassisted, the ball and trailer tongue are both visible.
My experience has been very positive - hopefully yours will as well.
ksmichaelsross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot