Can't stop thinking about 13 footers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Right, the new scamps have traditional suspension arrangements that allow for brakes... mine does not.
Huh? Scamp has used torsion axles since the beginning. Al-Ko and now Dexter. Bet all you're missing is the flanges. But since it's a 1984, that makes the axle 27 years old unless it's already been changed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #22

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Donna, I have the flanges. I've been told not to put brakes on forward arm setup because the trailer can pivot up on the arms during heavy braking. Another scamp owner recounted such a thing happening to him.

I have considered installing them, anyway... But I am still on the fence.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #23

But, didn't Scamp have brakes on forward leading arms prior to the change made by Dexter (which I think happened mid-1990s). I would think folks have/had towed trailers with brakes for years, one occurance doesn't make it a general problem.

Have you checked with Dexter Jesse? Those would be the folks I'd be most inclined to follow...
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #24

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
But, didn't Scamp have brakes on forward leading arms prior to the change made by Dexter (which I think happened mid-1990s). I would think folks have/had towed trailers with brakes for years, one occurance doesn't make it a general problem.

Have you checked with Dexter Jesse? Those would be the folks I'd be most inclined to follow...
I haven't. I could be wrong, but I don't think it is a Dexter. Also, did Dexter approve the forward configuration? I was under the impression that they did not.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #25

Maryland
Donna, I want you to be right. I want to be able to add brakes. Does anyone else have experience with brakes on a forward arm suspension? Maybe I should start a new thread?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #26

Jesse, if your Scamp doesn't have a Dexter axle, it probably is an Al-Ko. There's contact info on this page... why don't you get in touch with them and ask... THEN come back here and tell us what you found out! Inquiring mind want to know...

AL-KO Kober - Rubber Suspension Axles
Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealster View Post
Whoa! Stop there partner, You gotta give me some details! My whole dilemma comes from the fact that my wife's 2002 4 cyl Ford Escape is so under powered. What did you do to prep your Escape. I take it that you have the extra brakes. I am a proponent of a braked trailer after ending up in the middle of an intersection with a 1000# tent trailer in Louisiana this summer. I never had trouble with overheating, even in the Ozarks although I did end up in 3rd gear (manual tranny) a couple of times. I have on occasion smelled the clutch while backing up hills with the trailer on prior trips. Please give me some info on your experiences.
I now have a 2008 Escape 2.3L 5spd manual.[ about 25more HP than it's 2.0L predecessor] It is our second Escape, both have been excellent TVs for our Scamp 13 deluxe front bath. We have traveled the country with our Scamp in tow for many thousands of miles from Florida to Washington State . One trip of 5800 miles included a trip to MT. ST. Helens(pictured below) and the northwest. We have traveled the Appalachians as well. We generally travel at 58MPH in overdrive which is the speed at which we get the optimum fuel economy, about 24MPG.Of course we must occasionally downshift in the mountains,that's why it has 5 spreeds. The mileage drops off quick as speed increases.
We refit fiberglass trailers for a hobby and have also used the Escape for retrieval duty, the largest was a gutted Burro 17WB, I once even used it with my car dolly to tow a friend's Corvair home when it broke down.
The Escape is an excellent platform for towing a small trailer.
It does only have a 9" clutch. I have had no problems with it but I would agree it would be wise to avoid slipping it while backing uphill, or towing cars for that matter! (BTW that is the same size clutch used in a 4CYL Tacoma)
My Scamp has electric brakes and my Escape is equipped with a ClassIII hitch and a prodigy controller. I use an Acer friction sway control for good measure.
Attached Thumbnails
Oregon trip 032.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #28

Name: Cornelius
Trailer: Coleman Destiny Cedar
Minnesota
Now I am really drooling for a 13' Scamp. We recently toured a 16' and really liked it. My wife doubts that the 54" bed would be wide enough for the two of us. (I snore loudly)
Nealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Now I am really drooling for a 13' Scamp. We recently toured a 16' and really liked it. My wife doubts that the 54" bed would be wide enough for the two of us. (I snore loudly)
A 54" bed is in a Scamp Deluxe, the standard is 45"

You may want to check out this link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...zes-29849.html
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
54" is the width of a fullsized bed, we used to have a LoveBug, in which we managed with the standard sized 44" bed, this one feels luxurious in comparison. A/C also makes the bed bigger!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote