Can't stop thinking about 13 footers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Former Serro Scotty and Toyota Motor Home owner
Alabama
Can't stop thinking about 13 footers

Howdy!
First post here. I've been thinking about, researching and lately really wanting a new 13' Scamp or comparable. Never had a trailer and never really did all that much camping but I love to travel, want to take my little dog (it's just me and her) and this seems like it would be so much fun! I have a ton of questions and some I've even found answered in these forums.

I've got a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3L automatic. No towing package. I see in the owner's manual "Max. Gross Trailer Weight" is 1800 pounds "which includes up to two persons and luggage". Then it says to deduct 100# for fold-in-the-floor seating. If I'm down to 1700# then I don't have a ton of options with this van, right? The Escape 15 with a shower is 1750#, the Scamp 16 is 1750#. Do y'all think I should stay with the smaller 13 footer? Lastly, I do want to buy new and I kinda think I want a real toilet and shower.

Thanks for any advice! Love the site.
Redguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #2

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Check out the little snoozy

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ozy-47613.html
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguitar View Post
Howdy!
First post here. I've been thinking about, researching and lately really wanting a new 13' Scamp or comparable. Never had a trailer and never really did all that much camping but I love to travel, want to take my little dog (it's just me and her) and this seems like it would be so much fun! I have a ton of questions and some I've even found answered in these forums.

I've got a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3L automatic. No towing package. I see in the owner's manual "Max. Gross Trailer Weight" is 1800 pounds "which includes up to two persons and luggage". Then it says to deduct 100# for fold-in-the-floor seating. If I'm down to 1700# then I don't have a ton of options with this van, right? The Escape 15 with a shower is 1750#, the Scamp 16 is 1750#. Do y'all think I should stay with the smaller 13 footer? Lastly, I do want to buy new and I kinda think I want a real toilet and shower.

Thanks for any advice! Love the site.
I know several people who tow a 16 Scamp with a van like yours, and have for years. Adding a trans cooler and electric brake hookup along with an appropriate hitch will increase the towing capacity of your van considerably.The 16 Scamp comes with 10" electric brakes as standard equipment.
The "tow rating" of your van would have been higher with the factory Tow package... You decide whether adding those components aftermarket, plus an electric brake controller would add an even greater capacity. I think so. Check with your dealer if in doubt.
Back to the trailers in question...
The Scamp 13 with a every generous option list will likely fit within your present numbers, especially with adding the optional 7" electric brakes.
The others will exceed your numbers. In the real world, a Scamp 16 with average options and packed for camping will weigh 2200-2500# sometimes more.
Scamps tow better than conventional trailers due to their shape, but you must keep in mind that frontal area is used in figuring your "tow rating".
Talk to your dealer or mechanic to determine what items constitute the "towing package", add them and the electric brakes, then reevaluate the capacity. The items will include a tranmission cooler, a hitch, taillight wiring and possibly even new rear springs( don't be alarmed, they really aren't very expensive)
Properly prepared, any of the three trailers mentioned would be doable IMHO.
I tow a Scamp 13deluxe with a 4CYL Ford Escape, (properly prepped)
You are doing the right thing... get informed, weigh the cost, get prepared, make the decision you are comfy with... then happy camping.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

Name: Ed
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Delux 16'
Florida
We have an 07 Town and Country and added a tranny cooler and HD rear shocks. Our engine is the 3.9 and have no problems towing out 07 Casita 16' Delux. Can't put air shocks on because of something with the braking system. We are in FL and there are no big hills to go over.
Ed in Pensacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #5

Alabama
Thanks guys! I looked up the Lil Snoozy but it's 1900#. I really appreciate all the detail, Floyd. That's exactly what I'm going to look into. I'll get with my dealer.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Our Trillium with all our on the road stuff in it weighed 1840#. This is two people packed for a 6 week trip. If you have the folding seats, you probably can remove them to regain the 100#. It is a shame that the auto mfrs play this game, but we are bound by it. You could tow overweight for years and not have a problem, OR you may have an accident on your first time out and end your life as you know it. Please don't take the chance, stay within your owner's manual published weight restrictions and you will be okay.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Our Trillium with all our on the road stuff in it weighed 1840#. This is two people packed for a 6 week trip. If you have the folding seats, you probably can remove them to regain the 100#. It is a shame that the auto mfrs play this game, but we are bound by it. You could tow overweight for years and not have a problem, OR you may have an accident on your first time out and end your life as you know it. Please don't take the chance, stay within your owner's manual published weight restrictions and you will be okay.
Are you in Canada? I am not familiar with Canadian law.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #8

Alabama
Thanks for the good advice Roger. Interesting that you should respond in that I visited the Team Trillium website yesterday and looked through members Trilliums on here. I even saw your Homelet pictures and read of your mods. Boy y'all put the miles on, don't you? Trillium is a little further to go pick one up for me than Scamp in MN but right now it is still in the mix as well as the Escape.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #9

Name: Stef And Dave
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Registry
We have a little 13' Boler for sale. We're in Ontario. Check out my Bolers in my profile. We're selling the small orange one. Make a camping trip out of coming to get it! PS We towed it from Fort Frances, Ontario to Sudbury, Ontario (but through the US - Ontario to Minnesota to Wisconsin to Michigan to Ontario) with a 4-cyl Nissan XTrail SUV that is rated for 2000 lbs. It did a wonderful job. This little trailer is very light.
Stef_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #10

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Dave,
Re: Escape
I just got an email from Tammy at Escape today. I don't want to post the price she quoted but send me a private email and I'll share her email with you.
Phil
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking Not Trillium, Outback

Quote:
Thanks for the good advice Roger. Interesting that you should respond in that I visited the Team Trillium website yesterday and looked through members Trilliums on here. I even saw your Homelet pictures and read of your mods. Boy y'all put the miles on, don't you? Trillium is a little further to go pick one up for me than Scamp in MN but right now it is still in the mix as well as the Escape.
You looked at an OUTBACK which is made by Team Trillium.

For the genuine TRILLIUM, go here. trilliumrv.com

They are located in S Cal.

I have been after FGRV to change their way of presenting the Outback and Trillium, but so far have had no luck.

Red, is that Alabama?

Floyd, I am in Washington State.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #12

Alabama
Roger,

WOW! I had no idea the Outback wasn't the same. Weird how there is a "Team Trillium" and then a "Trillium". I wonder how they get away with that? And I wonder with all the internet searches I've been doing for fiberglass trailers and I never saw Trillium there in Temecula, CA. And they're even developing a dealer network! Thanks very much for the info. These units are beautiful!

Yes, I am in Birmingham, Alabama.

Dave
Old 08-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
An Outback is a Trillium in every way except the name.
Team Trillium of Canada existed long before Trillium California registered the name "Trillium" in the United States.
Outback has been building "Trilliums" for a lot longer than Trillium California, and has a large base of satisfied customers.
Here's a link to a newspaper article about Team Trillium, published in The Edmonton Journal in 2007:
http://www.trilliumtrailers.com/news...n-journal.html

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
If I'm down to 1700# then I don't have a ton of options with this van, right? The Escape 15 with a shower is 1750#, the Scamp 16 is 1750#. Do y'all think I should stay with the smaller 13 footer? Lastly, I do want to buy new and I kinda think I want a real toilet and shower.
You need to take a look under the General chat section here on the topic Real World Trailer Weights. You will not find a 16 Scamp with a bathroom that weighs the number you have stated. Real world numbers for 16' Scampes are more in the range of 2500-2600lbs - some as high as 2800. The 17' Escape which has the bathroom are usually a bit heavier around 2800-3000lbs.

I suspect the weight you have quoted above are the manufactures dry weights. Most manufactures of trailers do not include the weight of any options what so ever on the trailer - including the weight of the propane tanks or battery in the dry weights. For sure it does not include such items such as hot water tanks, furnaces, awnings, showers, ac etc. Add to that your own stuff such as dishes, pots, food and clothing and you will find the actual weigh of the trailer will often be close to a 1000lbs over the manufactures dry weight.

I have a 3000lb tow cap and I do tow a 16' without ac and I pack very light and dont tow with any water in the tanks. Although it tows the trailer fine I would not dream of towing it with anything that had less of a cap than 3000lbs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sigh. Not again. Tom Young of Team Trillium (trillumrv.com) owns the name and the logo is copyrighted. Tom was part of the ORIGINAL manufacturing Trillium group back in the 1970s and 80s. International copyright laws are difficult for small companies to monitor and protect. But, you'll notice Outback no longer puts the logo on the trailer either....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
TRILLIUMS OF THE WORLD
Note: the "Surfside" is not represented on this Flowmap due to my crayons melting off the scanner glass when I try to add it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	38646

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #17

Name: Cornelius
Trailer: Coleman Destiny Cedar
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I know several people.....Properly prepared, any of the three trailers mentioned would be doable IMHO.I tow a Scamp 13deluxe with a 4CYL Ford Escape, (properly prepped) You are doing the right thing... get informed, weigh the cost, get prepared, make the decision you are comfy with... then happy camping.
Whoa! Stop there partner, You gotta give me some details! My whole dilemma comes from the fact that my wife's 2002 4 cyl Ford Escape is so under powered. What did you do to prep your Escape. I take it that you have the extra brakes. I am a proponent of a braked trailer after ending up in the middle of an intersection with a 1000# tent trailer in Louisiana this summer. I never had trouble with overheating, even in the Ozarks although I did end up in 3rd gear (manual tranny) a couple of times. I have on occasion smelled the clutch while backing up hills with the trailer on prior trips. Please give me some info on your experiences.
Nealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #18

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Ford Escape is underpowered? My car only has 128 horsies, but it pulls my 13 foot Scamp pretty well. Stops it pretty good, too. Sadly, my Scamp doesn't have brakes, and isn't supposed to (forward arm suspension).
Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #19

Name: Cornelius
Trailer: Coleman Destiny Cedar
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Ford Escape is underpowered? My car only has 128 horsies, but it pulls my 13 foot Scamp pretty well. Stops it pretty good, too. Sadly, my Scamp doesn't have brakes, and isn't supposed to (forward arm suspension).
The new 13' scamps come with electric brakes as an option.
Have you ever pulled it in the mountains?
Nealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #20

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealster

The new 13' scamps come with electric brakes as an option.
Have you ever pulled it in the mountains?
Right, the new scamps have traditional suspension arrangements that allow for brakes... mine does not.

I have pulled in the mountains in western MD and PA, as well as the Poconos.