Casita fulltimer - Hello! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #21

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 17ft Casita FD '06 tv: Toyota Rav4 V6 2010
Florida
Registry
Don't they say the carpeting all over helps reduce moisture buildup? I imagine it might provide some sound insulation as well - helps prevent every little noise from seeming REAL LOUD inside the fiberglass tube.

But I agree the carpeting is somewhat annoying at times. In my case I always have to deal with bird seeds and feathers getting tracked all over. But I can deal with that. Also I have some "scrap carpet bits" over the installed carpet and those are regularly pulled out and shaken. The local birds always learn real quick the area just outside my trailer is good hunting for spare seeds.
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
of carpet and birds......

Melissa,
Sounds like your bird IS the ideal pet for a trailer! I like the quiet part. The birds that shriek just split my skull. I used to have an aunt that raised parakeets for pet shops. I helped her with the farm and she had thousands. I've had them for pets in the past as well. I've never heard of Bourke's though, that's a new one

I ordered my trailer with linoleum because carpet would have made it unfit for human habitation after a month. I spend too much time in unimproved campsites and bad weather. I have mats I can take out to clean or discard if needed. I have noticed one thing though that I don't like. In cold damp weather, the floor is cold enough to condense water. the floor is always wet. At first I thought I must be spilling something or tracking it in, but it is condensation! I think I'm going to try the fatigue mat squares. They weigh nothing and can be removed easily if they don't work out.

Theresa mentioned something that drives me crazy. It makes me wonder if the people who build trailers ever actually live in them . I would never design a trailer where the door jamb prevents sweeping out the door! Good grief!

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Melissa, your posts about the bird are very interesting to me. My daughter had some budgies (and a Quaker parrot, and doves, pigeons and chickens, and a mallard named Speedy!) when she still lived here with us... I looked up Bourke 'keets and I see they are not budgerigars. I read a bit on grassparakeets.com that your kind are not so shrill and loud, a plus! But then it said this:
It is tempting to keep these birds as pets, since their colors outshine the comparatively plain budgerigar. Neophemas, however, have quiet, introverted personalities; they are not as outgoing or charismatic as budgies. Unfortunately, with few exceptions, Neophemas do not make good pets. Grass parakeets are best enjoyed in aviaries or flight cages.
I have a feeling you would disagree strongly! Do you think your bird is pretty typical of the species, or would you say that you found one that is unusual?

Also I was wondering if you somehow have been able to train yours to only "go" in the right places? I wonder how much of it happens while perched on the shoulder... I guess that is the one issue that has most deterred me from having a bird, but if some are actually trainable I think I'd take the plunge. I wouldn't really want to keep it cooped up in the cage all the time. How do you handle or cope with the er, backflow issue?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #24

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Mike Magee... Years ago my boss was walking back from the bank when he got "dumped on" ...streaked down his hat. He simply said..."For everyone else...they sing"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Mike Magee... Years ago my boss was walking back from the bank when he got "dumped on" ...streaked down his hat. He simply said..."For everyone else...they sing"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
He was a quick thinker. I would have liked the guy.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #26

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Hey fiberglass folks!

I ran into the owner of a 5th-wheel Scamp in Okefenokee Swamp who mentioned this forum to me... it wasn't the first time I'd heard of it either. I tried a few times to get into the Casita Club forums but was never accepted. (Apparently because I only have a free email address, which discredits me as a valid human being in their eyes.) <_<

Anyways... yes. I have a little Casita. : I've been full-timing about a year. I am a modern gypsy. Just me and my pet parakeet, my little home on wheels, and my Toyota Rav4 (V6 with tow package) that has pulled like a champ from NY to FL and back again.
Hi Ranger!
I'm brand new here too, and don't even own my Casita yet. Still in the "impatiently dreaming and planning" stage. I'll get there, though.

Do you have a blog? Your lifestyle sounds great, I know you have a lot to share with us here on the forum. And an RV bird, that is GREAT! I look forward to seeing your posts.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #27

North Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjhere View Post
ps-i'll find something to bitch about at my cremation......
Okay, you have got to read my most favorite ballad, everrr!
The Cremation of Sam McGee by Robert Service.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:04 AM   #28

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
that Casita Club is fine when you get past the opening intro. I thought that was kind of useless. But it is a spam reducing tactic. Really good forum and friendly, like this one.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #29

North Central Texas
I like the Casita Club and the Casita Forum - a lot of the same folks are in both, of course. Then I discovered this forum, and have a lot more folks here to learn from. And everyone here is so nice as well as knowledgeable - this is the best of all.

Tags
casita