Casita fulltimer - Hello! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #1

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 17ft Casita FD '06 tv: Toyota Rav4 V6 2010
Florida
Registry
Casita fulltimer - Hello!

Hey fiberglass folks!

I ran into the owner of a 5th-wheel Scamp in Okefenokee Swamp who mentioned this forum to me... it wasn't the first time I'd heard of it either. I tried a few times to get into the Casita Club forums but was never accepted. (Apparently because I only have a free email address, which discredits me as a valid human being in their eyes.)

Anyways... yes. I have a little Casita. : I've been full-timing about a year. I am a modern gypsy. Just me and my pet parakeet, my little home on wheels, and my Toyota Rav4 (V6 with tow package) that has pulled like a champ from NY to FL and back again.

Oh did I mention I'm a park ranger? I've worked in all sorts of places across the country but my favorite place of course is Florida, this is my 3rd winter back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prior to this full-timer life I lived in shared seasonal housing (dorm-style) and had to move my worldly possessions across the country in a little hatchback car every 4 or 6 months. So as odd as it may seem the Casita has actually increased my "home stability" and privacy, considerably.

I always give a little cheer when I see another fiberglass trailer around... and often go introduce myself to the obviously-AWESOME owners. Looking forward to meeting more of you!
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome aboard, Ranger.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Welcome! Glad to have you with us.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum.

With your background, I am anxious to read your views on parks as well as other sites & sights.

DesertHawk
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Melissa.. we're glad you're here

Please post picture of your travels... or just of yourself. We'd love to "meet" you.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Melissa. We're glad you found us!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Aliner
Welcome, Melissa! Glad you found us.
As a Florida native, I'd say you have good taste in work environment preferences! In winter, that is!

Do post pictures... we love them!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Free email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Hey fiberglass folks!

I ran into the owner of a 5th-wheel Scamp in Okefenokee Swamp who mentioned this forum to me... it wasn't the first time I'd heard of it either. I tried a few times to get into the Casita Club forums but was never accepted. (Apparently because I only have a free email address, which discredits me as a valid human being in their eyes.)
Welcome! I can't speak to Casita Club Forum but I am a member of Casita Travel Trailer Forum and they accepted me with a free gmail address.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Tell me more about spots in Floida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
Welcome! I can't speak to Casita Club Forum but I am a member of Casita Travel Trailer Forum and they accepted me with a free gmail address.
Where do you winter over...any good campgrounds you can recommend...what cities? What are the monthly Fees? I'm hoping to go to Florida NEXT winter...make a wonderful cross country trip and visit everyone I know, along the way!!
Hope to run into you somewhere along the trail!
BB
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Hi Melissa,
Welcome! I tried to join the Casita forum when I was shopping for a trailer. I hit the same wall . Really turned me off . I found the door open here though and wandered in . You are welcome here among the rest of us invalid humans

Florida is fun for sure. I've been through there a few times. First was 1987, then 1994 and 1996.......... or was it 93 and 95?? Sounds like you have a sweet gig with the Forest Service. Any job that requires you to be in Florida for the winter is SWEET . My seasonal work has me moving against the herd. I move in when everyone else moves out. I like the quiet.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome, melissa! your life style sounds very interesting....i know we'd all love to read about your recommendations re: different parks/campgrounds.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #12

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
When I was a kid we lived in Bradenton, Starke, Kissimmee, and Miami all within a 2 year period. This was when nobody had air conditioning...1945 to 1947. My dad worked for the army until he was let go along with about a zillion other wartime employees. Anyway, hope you enjoy this site as much as I do.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #13

Name: harry
Trailer: New Parkliner owner
North Carolina
That's kinda funny, Melissa, having a hard time joining the casita club. I thought it was 'kind of stiff' also. I don't have a camper yet, and said so, yet they accepted me....The introductory letter I had to write, for approval, I opened with, "Hi, ya'll, I had an easier time joining the navy, but that was over 41 yrs. ago....."
Bottom line, you don't need them, if you're with FGRV. Look thru the forums to find answers to ANY questions you have, the topic has more than likely been discussed previously. Or, start a new thread, frinstance,'Why do these manufacturers put carpeting in a camper trailer? Great outdoors, back to nature, just me'n my vacuum cleaner!'
Best of all, folks on this gallery are SO helpful and supportive! They truly 'Get It!' Enjoy! harry[looking at a ParkLiner soon]
harryjhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Don't feel bad, Melissa. With an msn address, I tried for two years to join the "Casita Club" without success. It's totally ok.
This site is a great mix of trailers and owners, with a lot of good information to share.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
What I find interesting is your choice of a pet, i.e., a parakeet!

We travel with a cat, but somehow I think a parakeet might be more appropriate. :>)
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #16

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 17ft Casita FD '06 tv: Toyota Rav4 V6 2010
Florida
Registry
Birds make good travel trailer pets! My little birdie is a Bourke Parakeet, sometimes called a Bourke Parrot, too.

They're a little bigger than your typical petstore "Budgie" parakeet, but not as big as say, a lovebird, and different colors - they're wild coloration is pink belly, grey back, blue on shoulders and under the tail.

It's a very quiet breed and makes a good apartment bird - and thus a good travel trailer bird. Mine has been with me 6 years and is quite used to travel - her cage goes in the passenger seat and she is copilot, looking out the window the whole time. (Note: Most birds are not used to car trips and DO tend to freak out and should be covered!)
When I'm in the trailer she's usually out of the cage and either on my shoulder or poking about. Otherwise she has a large cage and it takes up one of my two captain's chairs in the Freedom Deluxe. (It is a sacrifice of precious space but the bird is worth it!) She doesn't talk but speaks fluent bird and understands some things - she knows her name, and "Birdie" and "Go Home" (sometimes she'll listen and go to the cage and sometimes I have to put her there.... depends on her mood)

My neighbors in the adjacent RV are my best buds, they've got my spare set of keys and they help me out... if the weather shifts dramatically while I'm at work they'll go into my trailer and adjust whatever needs to be adjusted so the bird isn't too hot or cold.

I'm also very careful with cooking (I never use propane or teflon cookware!) and avoid any strong scents - cleaners or airfresheners or any of that. Birds are sensitive to chemicals, and so am I! (I find baking soda and elbow grease gets most anything done.)
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
- she knows her name, and "Birdie" and "Go Home" (sometimes she'll listen and go to the cage and sometimes I have to put her there.... depends on her mood)
This describes several women of the human persuasion that I know...
Old 11-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #18

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
harry----your comment about carpeting in trailers is VERY valid!!! the outback by team trillium that we own, our OSOKOZY, does have carpet. some days i hate it. some days i love it. but the nicest thing about it--it is not installed. by that i mean, it can be removed. the carpet piece is attached by snaps/dome fasteners in the corners and is easily taken out, shaken (a little less easily, as it is quite stiff) and returned to the trailer. we clean it each fall, and lay it out in the sun to dry. we sweep it off while we're travelling, but the darn lip on the door bottom does not allow me to sweep the sand and dirt---mostly sand---directly out of the trailer.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #19

Name: harry
Trailer: New Parkliner owner
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
harry----your comment about carpeting in trailers is VERY valid!!! the outback by team trillium that we own, our OSOKOZY, does have carpet. some days i hate it. some days i love it. but the nicest thing about it--it is not installed. by that i mean, it can be removed. the carpet piece is attached by snaps/dome fasteners in the corners and is easily taken out, shaken (a little less easily, as it is quite stiff) and returned to the trailer. we clean it each fall, and lay it out in the sun to dry. we sweep it off while we're travelling, but the darn lip on the door bottom does not allow me to sweep the sand and dirt---mostly sand---directly out of the trailer.
That's my point...carpet in a 13-17' camper/trailer CAN'T be for insulation. 21st century, folks! We landed an unmanned vehicle on Mars, drove around, took pictures, sent them back, what, ten years ago?
ps-i'll find something to bitch about at my cremation......
harryjhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjhere View Post
That's my point...carpet in a 13-17' camper/trailer CAN'T be for insulation.

ps-i'll find something to bitch about at my cremation......
Don't like what's on the floor? Change it. Carpet, lino, real hardwood, lino squares, foam mats, Pergo-types, bamboo, paint... we've seen all and probably more to come! And each person made the changes because it worked best for them.

Harry... I bet you'll say "it's too hot in here.."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita