Ceiling options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #1

Name: Raul
Trailer: 13' Uhaul
California
Ceiling options

Hi. I am a new member. Looking for nicer-looking options to the ceiling carpeting for my 1984 13' Uhaul.
ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralob View Post
Hi. I am a new member. Looking for nicer-looking options to the ceiling carpeting for my 1984 13' Uhaul.
Before you do a makeover it is good to understand why they used carpet.

Fiberglass shells don't breathe. When the temperature reaches the dew point the moisture that is inside of the trailer will hit the cold surface of the shell and condense into water that can drip back onto you and everything else.

The carpet provides some insulation to help prevent the condensation issues and it also catches any moisture drops that might condense when it does happen. The carpet they used is most likely made with a fiber which does not allow mold to grow into the fiber itself. Mold resistant is critical in this application.

Finding a good looking and affordable alternative that performs as well for the purpose is a tough call. Your best bet is to search for a marine quality headliner.

Beauty is not just how things look to the eye, it is also in this case literally skin deep
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:18 PM   #3

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
An inexpensive option I just completed two weeks ago was to use the leftover fabric from my seat cushions, backed with some thicker headliner fabric and then adhered that directly onto the existing carpet.

I've seen some original carpet develop mold, not sure what the previous poster referring to. My carpet was still in good shape after 30+ years, but I wanted a quick and easy fix. If it gets damaged in any way, you change it...It's just fabric.

Btw, come on over to the uhaul page on Facebook. Lots of factoids, files and friends to keep you busy on your lil slice of heaven for years to come.
Attached Thumbnails
20160921_180551.jpg   20160921_180557.jpg  

luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #4

Name: Raul
Trailer: 13' Uhaul
California
carpet ceiling

Thanks for the info and ideas. We will continue working on our new sweet lil' eggy!
ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Ozite comes in two patterns and many colors and it is cheap, light, attractive and easy to work with scissors and glue.
It is commonly available at big box stores.

http://www.ozite.com/dfiles/inout_carpet.pdf
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I installed foil bubble insulation in that area (glued it to the fiberglass) and then spray-glued up a grasscloth shade over it. 8 years now... no condensation, no problems. I've seen wood, frp, cloth, and tin ceiling sections used in this area. You are not limited to just cloth materials, but whatever you choose seems to work best if you can add that small level of insulation.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mike used Bamboo and it's one of the nicest finishes I've seen. He used the same bamboo in his picture frame cabinet doors. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ior-46625.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote