Celeste and Steven from CT...Scamp13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 03:21 PM   #1

Name: Steven Celeste
Trailer: Scamp
Wallingford
Celeste and Steven from CT...Scamp13

Hello all. A couple of 70ish year old over thinkers here, with a 4 cylinder Outback and a five hundred buck deposit on a Scamp 13 regular with bathroom. Boy, do we have questions! ...and plenty of time to course correct with a December factory pick up date.

1. Mistake one - I Should have (but didn’t) ordered brakes, right? Does it make sense to pre-install something like a prodigy p2 or should I drive it back without hooking up the trailer brakes so that the stuff can be mounted directly to the scamp? We don’t even have a hitch yet.

2. We will likely never stay in an rv park, but will often enough be able to get elec power - if an extension chord counts. So, features tempted to get for our three season lives are: elec heat strip, larger refrigerator, microwave, dual gas tanks, stove with electronic ignition.

3. The Two of us Will sleep and cook in this. Does it make sense to consider the smaller bed to maximize moving about room? We are committed to the bathroom...

4. How does someone use this thing in the winter?

5. Is there an aftermarket canopy that is loved? Is there one with a fabric bug screen?

6. Anyone in Central Connecticut who will let us look at an actual Scamp13 with bathroom?

We do so appreciate your expertise. Thanks!
Yanni Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Welcome to the forum! Resposes in blue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanni Lazarus View Post
Hello all. A couple of 70ish year old over thinkers here, with a 4 cylinder Outback and a five hundred buck deposit on a Scamp 13 regular with bathroom. Boy, do we have questions! ...and plenty of time to course correct with a December factory pick up date.

1. Mistake one - I Should have (but didn’t) ordered brakes, right? Does it make sense to pre-install something like a prodigy p2 or should I drive it back without hooking up the trailer brakes so that the stuff can be mounted directly to the scamp? We don’t even have a hitch yet. I believe brakes are standard now. The issue is the controller. Some have reported being told a traditional wired controller cannot be used on a newer Outback. That would be something to discuss with your hitch installer. Scamp offers the Autowbrake wireless controller as an option, and it has been popular with Outback owners. eTrailer.com has a pretty good article on the various types of brake controllers.

2. We will likely never stay in an rv park, but will often enough be able to get elec power - if an extension chord counts. So, features tempted to get for our three season lives are: elec heat strip, larger refrigerator, microwave, dual gas tanks, stove with electronic ignition. Larger fridge is not an option on the 13'er. I'd rather use a small ceramic heater than the heat strip, but others disagree. There's no spot provided for a microwave, but a number of people have found creative solutions. You'll need an outlet nearby. Dual LP tanks will almost certainly put you over your 200# tongue weight rating. Is electronic ignition on the stove an option now?

3. The Two of us Will sleep and cook in this. Does it make sense to consider the smaller bed to maximize moving about room? We are committed to the bathroom... Very tough call. It's not just about room to move about but storage and counter space. You might see if you can find someone with the small bed that will let you try it out for size (and I see you're working on that...).

4. How does someone use this thing in the winter? Probably dry, meaning with the plumbing winterized. Bottled water, no showers, empty grey water outside. Some people use the toilet and flush with RV antifreeze from the jug. Reflectix panels over the windows help with heat retention.

5. Is there an aftermarket canopy that is loved? Is there one with a fabric bug screen? Clam is a popular freestanding option. Comes in 3 sizes. There some less expensive knock-offs. Attached awnings with bug screens tend to be much harder to find and more cumbersome to use.

6. Anyone in Central Connecticut who will let us look at an actual Scamp13 with bathroom?

We do so appreciate your expertise. Thanks!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
As usual Jon composed an excellent reply. I might just add three things.

1. The camper is not intended to be used in winter. Some do that, but you might not be happy with it if the temps get close to freezing. It is really not as well insulated as some might think. But yes, if its freezing then my plan would to be winterize the camper with RV antifreeze and use it "dry."

2. IMHO nothing is more important than a good nights sleep, and nothing will ruin an outing more than a lack of sleep. So the bed is the first priority.. whatever it takes to be comfortable. Everything else is secondary. If you have nothing more than a bed on wheels you can still have fun.

3. Call Scamp (Evelands, Inc) for a owners in your area who will show off their campers.

It almost sounds like you would be much happier with a larger camper.. the Scamp 16 perhaps. But I guess that would mean a new tow vehicle also.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Gordon, your winter comment reminded me that someone might actually believe the R15 claim in the Scamp online specs. Unfortunately, that value is based on a faulty reading of the performance specs for foil bubble wrap used as a thermal barrier. The reality is far less. Even so, it is possible to heat a Scamp in below freezing conditions due to its small size. It's just not particularly efficient.

Shower drain and other plumbing bits are exposed below the floor, though, so they can freeze.

Insulation aside, you get lots of heat loss through the large single pane windows.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 The "trick" to camping in the winter is to head south or west. If you go west, you have to go south first... We traveled to Utah in January in 2019, had to head all the way down to Mobile, AL (quite a bit out of the way) to avoid bad weather across the US. Continued all the way west to Yuma, AZ before heading to St George, UT.

This January (2020), we were able to travel I-70 all the way, through the Colorado rocky mountains. Had to pick our travel days carefully, got lucky on this trip.

When I have headed to Florida in January, I have started with a winterized trailer. Once arriving to FL, I flushed it (de-winterized if you will). Then heading home at the Florida border, I re-winterized the trailer again.

FWIW, the regular sized bed in a Scamp is slightly larger than a TWIN bed.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:28 AM   #6

Name: Steven Celeste
Trailer: Scamp
Wallingford
really useful advice -- thanks so much!
Yanni Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #7

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
You will find with the Scamp that in the winter the heater works wonderfully, either that or purchase a Mr. Big propane heater (safe for indoors) With the insulation on the Scamp you will find it veery comfortable. I own a 2010 Scamp 19' 5th wheel and find it to be very comfortable. And as Jon in AZ states, there is very little storage in any of the Scamp Trailers. But, giving all that, I wouldn't be without mine. I love it.

Yank
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #8

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
I forgot to add that in the winter time I cover the windows with the Insulation foil you can find at Home Depot, either that or use plastic covering. Eilther works well.

yank
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp