Changing my status - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Oregon
Talking Changing my status

I have no idea how this happened outside of ‘Divine Intervention’ but yesterday I opened an envelope from Oregon DMV with the title to my 72 Compact Junior.
One day a few weeks ago I decided that I was going to do other things and not obsess over FGRVs. A buddy of mine in MA had seen some pics I put on Facebook showing the rigs I was looking at. “Cute” he said, “Where can I get one?”. I went to a FGRV site to forward some links to him and somehow a Craigslist posting came up for one in Oregon. I emailed the guy expecting to be told it was sold.
He wrote back saying it was still available and I called him. There were problems. The rig was good, but he didn’t have a title or plates and couldn’t find the serial number. It had been abandoned at a storage yard and they took possession of it using it as a trash trailer. Thinking ‘there has to be a way’ I found myself sending money to someone I’ve never met to hold a rig I hadn’t seen.
Two days later I took the 4hr drive (picking up a friend on the way) to look at it. The frame was rusted but sturdy, the tires were good, the insides torn apart, no canvas on the pop up, rear bumper broken. He had salvaged the sink, water tank, cabinet framing, and the skins as templates. Body, windows, doors were all in great shape. It’s a nice empty space for me to build to my own needs. He had also found a 10 yr old DMV form with the trailer information, old license plate number, and the serial number. We went to DMV and explained the situation. They said “Do-able”, gave us some papers to fill out and told us we needed a copy of the lien from the storage yard. We got what we needed and headed back to hook up the trailer. I had to do a little rewiring to get the lights working, but all appeared smooth.
Went back to DMV and they found a problem with the paperwork. Back to the storage yard to get it corrected. By that time DMV had closed so we drove straight to my friends place over an hour down the highway.
My little beater van had no problem towing the rig until about 40 miles down the road when I started to feel a lot of tug. We pulled over to check the wheel bearings and they were cool to the touch. I then saw the pop up was up at 30 degree angle. The front latch had broken loose and the top came up. Opened the windows, ripped out the deteriorated screens, lashed her down and we were back on the road. Once the trailer was settled in at my friends place I headed home to PDX.
The next day I went to my local DMV with a little concern. I explained the situation to the clerk giving her the paperwork as I went. She looked over all the paperwork, ran the serial number (in the computer / all clear) and said “You’re good to go”. Application approved.
I still can’t believe how this all happened! I doubt it will be ready for the NOG, but I've already spent a week camping in it with the dogs. All my lights and gadgets powered by a Goal Zero solar panel, power pack, and rechargable lights.
Thanks to all on this forum and especially those I PMd or emailed with crazy questions. The advice I got from the members and the group as a whole is outstanding. I’ve learned quite a bit and I’ve only just begun.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5441.jpg  
Kevin PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Kevin, What a great story and congrats on your new Compact!
Please keep us in the loop with photos of your progress!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Congratulations! Your perseverance has paid off.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrat's! WOOT WOOT! Glad it all worked out! Good luck with your project show pic's along the way! Have fun with it, cause obviously it was meant to be...............................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Way to go! I agree, it is a great story.
If you can camp in it with the dogs, there is no reason you should not be able to bring it to the NOG. You might get a lot of good ideas from everyone there!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #6

Oregon
Accomodations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Way to go! I agree, it is a great story.
If you can camp in it with the dogs, there is no reason you should not be able to bring it to the NOG. You might get a lot of good ideas from everyone there!
Since the galley framing was there I was able to put some plywood on it for my butane stove and water jug. As for the sleeping arrangements . . well . . . please don't mind the messy 'bedroom'
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5342.jpg  
Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I believe it was divine intervention.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Kevin, What a great story and congrats on your new Compact!
Please keep us in the loop with photos of your progress!
Progress may be slow . . since the tires were shot (and not the correct type), and I couldn;t redo the bearings at the time, the trailer is 2 hrs away. But, work I must.

I had taken as much of the parts as I could back home to see what I could do. Using the old parts I was already able to order the trim & seal for the pop up (thanks R&P!). The sink and hand pump have been cleaned and work well. Since I had the laminate from the countertop and the side pieces, I thought I should work on that.

Ever seen the nice banners at a convention? The real heavy duty ones? Well, for the most part they get thrown out (trust me, no one wants a 'Ogopogo HS Reunion 2010' in 2013). They are heavy duty reinforced vinyl. I had the recycling guy hold some for me.

I traced the panels onto the vinyl and cut them out. Viola! I now have tempplates to use and reuse as I need! This stuff is sturdy enough, and flexible enough, I may be able to use it for the pop up until I can get canvas made (okay, I can deal with the 'Ogopogo HS' logo).
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5461.jpg   DSCN5462.jpg  

Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #9

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I believe it was divine intervention.
All of my friends and associates who knew how badly I wanted one are saying the same thing. It's what I wanted for what I was able to pay.

I truly must have done something right to deserve this
Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #10

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Neato!

Hope you enjoy the hunt and your catch!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Kevin I can't believe you were so easily successful at DMV. Oregon DMV is notorious for being single-minded and not in the direction you want to go!

Hope you can make the Fall NOG
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote