Checking In From Camden Point, Missouri - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Scamp
Smile Checking In From Camden Point, Missouri

Hi everyone!

I’m new to the site, obviously that’s why I am posting here, but I have been a lurker for a few months trying to navigate my way through the search feature. I’m not sure I have the search feature figured out, but I am beginning find the topics I’m looking for so life is good. I’ve been looking for all things Scamp related. My latest search has been axle information and I can confidently confess that this part of the project has me bewildered. I have held off asking any questions in hopes of finding my answers before posting the same old newbie questions, but I think I’m about to unleash a fury of questions.

My project is a 1978 Scamp that I, without a doubt, over paid for, but when I saw it on Ebay I knew I had to have it. So off to Texas a buddy and I went to get the little gem…oh yeah, while we were there we squeezed in a quick hog hunt and we returned home with the cool little Scamp and pork for the freezer. Anyway, the Scamp has set idle while I gathered information from this site on how to begin fixing it. It has all the typical issues that older Scamps seem to have. It leaked like a sieve at the rivet points and the windows, the door is sagging, there was dry rot in part of the floor, it sports the original axle, the interior smells like mildew, the cushion are either flat or missing, the frig is shot, but it held up during the 12 hour trip back home and now sits in my shop ready for the face and body lift.

The Scamp’s shell is solid, the frame is straight and it has the cool jalousie windows on the sides and the in the door! There are no odd modifications done to it by the previous owner, so really the camper is a blank slate that I can configure to fit my desires.

I was bit by the Scamp bug two years ago at a traditional archery shoot outside of Kansas City. Prior to that day I never gave campers a second look and I had never heard of or seen a Scamp or anything like it. All of my camping has been out of a tent and all of my gear fit in a backpack, so I have always been a bit of a minimalist when it came to camping, but when I saw the Scamp a switch was flipped and I became obsessed and a year later there was one in my driveway with my name on its title. So without further ado here are some pictures of the little gut pile as it was and as it is now.

Tom

Tom Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Welcome, Tom! Looks like you're rockin and rollin! Where is Camden Point? I'm in Omaha, NE, but there are several fiberglass buddies in the KC area. In fact, Ricky 4 and I are hopefully going to plan a little rally in the midwest neck of the woods this summer.

Hurry and get yours done! (Yea--I can't talk--mine is gutted right now, too!)
Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Welcome, Tom! Looks like you're rockin and rollin! Where is Camden Point? I'm in Omaha, NE, but there are several fiberglass buddies in the KC area. In fact, Ricky 4 and I are hopefully going to plan a little rally in the midwest neck of the woods this summer.

Hurry and get yours done! (Yea--I can't talk--mine is gutted right now, too!)
Vickie
Hi Vickie

Camden Point is 6 miles north of Platte City on I29 at exit 25. Downtown KC is around 35 miles to the south of Camden Point.
Tom Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Sweet! Hopefully we'll be seeing you sometime. BTW--love your camper!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote