Cheers, all. New and in the market! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Cheers, all. New and in the market!

Greetings from the PNW! Just a little about myself and my "Egg" goals.

Name's Trey. I'm 29, bored with corporate life, and in the throws of wanderlust. I've never owned any sort of RV and my TV is a small 2009 Nissan Rogue. I've been looking at RV's for the past year and decided I just love the small 13/16ft Scamp and 16ft Castias.

Only thing is I've never actually set foot in one. For whatever reason, neither scamps nor casitas are popular here, or at the very least, are rarely for sale. Despite that, I'd like to eventually find an older used one from somewhere and take a few months or more off and do some wandering.

Unlike many in my generation, my late teens/early 20's were spent basically homeless and I had to spend years caring for a very ill parent. Now I feel like I need to get out there and see the world before I settle down an I think a little Scamp is just the thing I need.

Looking forward to learning tips and tricks and ins and outs of egg ownership!
Treyesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Trey!

Near as I can tell, the tow rating on a 2009 Nissan Rogue is only 1000 pounds. Check your owner's manual for the most accurate information.

Unfortunately, 13' Scamps weigh around 1400-1900 pounds once loaded and provisioned. 16' Scamps range from about 2300-2800 pounds. Casitas tend to be a little heavier.

See the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World for data on actual loaded weights of various makes and models. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet. Note that the lone 880 pound Burro was an empty, gutted shell with nothing inside.

You probably need to consider upgrading your vehicle.

Good news is the PNW is actually a fairly active region for molded egg trailers. Canadian makes such as Boler and Trillium are fairly plentiful along with the usual Scamps and Casitas (okay, maybe not so many Casitas). Have you found this site: www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com ?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #3

Washington
I'm in the process of trading out of my Rogue for a pickup, honestly. Thanks for the note though!

And yes, I've been looking there from time to time. RVTrader and my local craigslist have been my other go-to's.

I'm admittedly a little picky a lot of "broke"; a terrible combo. Ha! I've been mostly looking for older, cheaper projects since I really don't have the money to spend on something nice. But, it's okay in the end. Something will eventually come by.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:01 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
In the meantime, use the delay to build your trailer fund!

We camped during our really, really, broke years with a crappy tent. We had just as much fun too! Sure, we had all the challenges tent campers have, but in the end, we got great memories.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Joel, welcome. To see a Scamp in your area, contact the mfr in Backus MN and ask for a referral; they have a list of folks all around the country who are ok with showing off their baby... er, trailer. Another way to see FG trailers of many brands all at one place is to attend a rally. There's one in Oregon later this month: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ark-82761.html Folks are generally very happy to show their eggs to anyone, and often there's even a specific time slot during a rally when everyone walks around looking at everyone else's. There's also a Seattle area rally coming up in September, and another OR rally in October. Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming) - Fiberglass RV
There's nothing like actually climbing in and sitting down inside, to find out what they're really like.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #6

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Joel, welcome. To see a Scamp in your area, contact the mfr in Backus MN and ask for a referral; they have a list of folks all around the country who are ok with showing off their baby... er, trailer. Another way to see FG trailers of many brands all at one place is to attend a rally. There's one in Oregon later this month: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ark-82761.html Folks are generally very happy to show their eggs to anyone, and often there's even a specific time slot during a rally when everyone walks around looking at everyone else's. There's also a Seattle area rally coming up in September, and another OR rally in October. Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming) - Fiberglass RV
There's nothing like actually climbing in and sitting down inside, to find out what they're really like.
That's a fantastic idea, thank you.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Joel, since you're in Washington, we're having a gathering at Dash Point State Park 25 miles south of Seattle September 21 & 22 this fall...the SAFE (Seattle Area Fall Event) and you can see a variety of new and older fiberglass travel trailers. Come for the Open House at 10 AM Saturday, wander around and have a good look...come for the weenie roast the night before, stay for the other events Saturday...or come visit us for whatever suits you. You're very welcome. It's a little closer than Bullard's Beach, thought that is one BIG rally. $5 parking fee for just a car in the overflow parking area.

Also there are a lot of fiberglass trailers up at the Mt. Baker Vintage Trailer Rally in Lynden, Washington, early in September; you can find it online easily. Lots of other types of trailers, too, and an enormous Open House 10 AM Saturday AM. Though they lean toward restored vintage, of course. Which is terribly fun to see!

BEST
Kai

(Kathleen & Paul, hosts)