Cheers and questions from Utah! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #1

Name: Melanie
Trailer: In The Market
Utah
Cheers and questions from Utah!

Hello All, I'm Melanie, and my husband is Lynn, we live in Utah about 45 miles south of SLC. We are at that point in our lives where we want to get away for a week here and there. We live in such a fantastic state for camping and sight seeing, but we want to have something a little more contained than a tent. We started looking for a vintage trailer, but quickly realized how much money it would cost to update, and that we likely couldn't tow one - that's when we discovered fiberglass! So far, we're looking at a Scamp or Casita in the 16' size (with sleeping space for at least 3), and something with a bathroom (no toilet is a deal breaker for me). We will probably take the plunge and buy new, that way we can get what we want from the beginning and make it ours along the way. My only concern at this point is that we can never seem to find anyone who lives near enough so we can peek inside of one - we've only ever seen photos, and the manufacturers are so far away. Has anyone ever bought new, sight unseen? Would we be completely bonkers to do that? Any advice, and happy hellos, are all welcome as I figure this all out!
Melanie C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
When I was looking, several folks offered to let me look at their's when I posted my general location here on this site. Hopefully you will have the same luck.

I also contacted both Scamp and Casita and asked for some references. They both gave me some in my area. A few were out of date, the folks having sold their trailer, but I did get to meet up with a few.

Good luck in your search. I originally was going to order a new one, but have since found and bought a used - tremendous savings, and I can use it for a year or two, find out what I REALLY want, not just what I think I want.

At the end of that time, if still interested, I can order a new one to my exact specifications, then sell this used one with little capital loss. As with cars, most of the depreciation happens when you drive away from the factory and shortly there after. Unlike cars, once the initial hit is realized, they depreciate MUCH slower.

Again, good luck.

Edit: Forgot to say, WELCOME!

Utah has always been one of my favourite states. That was confirmed again this past Sept. Spent a couple of weeks in Nevada and Utah - pre Scamp unfortunately.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You can also ask the sales department at Scamp for a referral. They keep a file of current owners willing to demo their trailers. They even get a small check if you do buy a trailer, so it's a win-win.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: Liz
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp
Arizona
Hello Melanie and Lynn - I live in the mountains north of Tucson, and I had a brand new one delivered to me in the middle of last winter, sight unseen. I just took the plunge and there's been no looking back. I lived in it for four months last summer, three months this summer, and there is a permanent smile on my face when it's me and my Scamp out on the road.
The Tent Soloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Escape 17B
Utah
Fiberglass purchase decision

Melanie:
We're Dave & Penny Smith. I've been lurking on this forum for some time, but your questions have prompted me to join. We live in Sandy, UT and would be happy to show you our Escape 17B. We come from a long background of backpacking and car camping. In 2007, I developed hip problems (since resolved by hip replacements), which made it difficult for me to get up and down off the ground. We bought a 2005 Tab and really enjoyed camping in it for some 9 years. With retirement in mind, we decided that we wanted something just a little bigger (the Tab did not have a bathroom and only had an icebox). We have friends who have Casitas, and benefited from their experiences. In Dec. 2014, we deciced to buy an Escape (we had seen several and were very impressed with their quality and available option choices). We picked up the trailer in mid-Aug. and have enjoyed using it on several trips his fall. We would be happy to show it to you and to answer questions you may have concerning it or fiberglass trailers/trailer camping in general. I believe Casita and Scamp (as well as Escape) have programs with their owners to allow interested potential customers to view trailers locally. You may wish to contact these companies for more information. You will not have to buy "sight unseen". The very favorable US--Canadian exchange rate currently has made Escapes at great buy and contributed to their being sold out for next year! Please feel free to contact us if we can be of help.

Good luck!
Dave
2015 Escape 17B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Melanie,

There is an Oliver Legacy Elite Owner in Ephraim, Utah that would be willing to show you their unit. I can provide you with their contact info if you are interested.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #7

Utah
[QUOTE=2015 Escape 17B;558132]Melanie:
We're Dave & Penny Smith. I've been lurking on this forum for some time, but your questions have prompted me to join. We live in Sandy, UT and would be happy to show you our Escape 17B.

Thank you very much, we'd love to see it! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I'm new here to the forum and it's taken me a wee bit to figure it out!
Old 11-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #8

Utah
I'm so grateful to all of you and your gracious responses, I didn't know any of this! Wow, this forum is going to be a huge time saver!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
A fiberglass rally is a great place to compare many different makes and models of trailers - if you get a chance attend one and have a look - they are listed on this web site.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You are soooooo lucky to live in Utah because there are so many fantastic camping opportunites! Here's another idea. You could ask folks on this forum (answer them in a private message to protect their privacy) when they might be going to a Utah campground and you could meet them there! In every one of the 5 National Parks in Utah we saw at least one other Scamp or Casita! So, you could also camp at a popular park and take your chances in seeing another FGRV. Owners are universally happy to show their rigs!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #11

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
You are soooooo lucky to live in Utah because there are so many fantastic camping opportunites! Here's another idea. You could ask folks on this forum (answer them in a private message to protect their privacy) when they might be going to a Utah campground and you could meet them there! In every one of the 5 National Parks in Utah we saw at least one other Scamp or Casita! So, you could also camp at a popular park and take your chances in seeing another FGRV. Owners are universally happy to show their rigs!
Yes, I agree, there are so many gorgeous things to see in Utah! We live very near a fantastic canyon, with lovely sites for camping. ANd thank you for the ideas, I really appreciate it.