Cleaning and Painting my Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #1

Name: Rita
Trailer: Boler 1975
British Columbia
Cleaning and Painting my Boler

Hi I am new to this site and a new owner of a 1975 Boler 13' Trailer I purchased last summer. It has been under cover all winter. What do you other Boler owners clean your trailer with? If I wanted to attempt to paint it myself using marine paint, any recommendations as steps to use and kind of paint? Thankyou.
RollingontheRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
If your paint before you do any sanding be sure to degreese it! A good start is washing with dish soap.
The paint container usually has the grit # of the sanded finish the paint requires.
I used brightside on mine, think I sanded to 400 grit not sure anymore though.
Have fun, start on a practice panel, dont learn how to do it on the boler.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #3

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingontheRitz View Post
Hi I am new to this site and a new owner of a 1975 Boler 13' Trailer I purchased last summer. It has been under cover all winter. What do you other Boler owners clean your trailer with? If I wanted to attempt to paint it myself using marine paint, any recommendations as steps to use and kind of paint? Thankyou.
I have a 17 foot Boler 1977. It was outside for 15 years summer and winter. I cleaned it using warm water and Bartender's Friend - an inexpensive "comet" like abrasive cleaner that is less abrasive but really cleans well - use a cloth and scrub hard by hand all over, it will clean it up. then wash well with spray hose.

Now about repainting. Consider the original condition now you've cleaned it. I didn't repaint mine, but I did put 6 coats of Zep Floor Polish on it - you put it on with a large cloth and just wipe it on like you were wiping your counter top.

You may like the results, and not repaint. I'd only repaint if the exterior has been terribly scratched, scarred, or has lots of mildew or other black marks that won't come off.

Can't tell you about painting but I'd seek advice from a boat or car painter.

All the best . Dave and "Bernice the Boler"
Attached Thumbnails
Doorside View 2016.jpg  
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #4

Name: Jenevieve
Trailer: Boler 73
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
If your paint before you do any sanding be sure to degreese it! A good start is washing with dish soap.
The paint container usually has the grit # of the sanded finish the paint requires.
I used brightside on mine, think I sanded to 400 grit not sure anymore though.
Have fun, start on a practice panel, dont learn how to do it on the boler.
Fred

Great advice
Jenevieve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #5

Name: Jenevieve
Trailer: Boler 73
Manitoba
Make sure you use a good roller for the paint. I was at the 2008 reunion in Winnipeg Mb. The advice we received from owners there said you can do it yourself as most places don’t want to take the job on. Cleaning and sanding very important. One owner said he did 3 coats and in my opinion it looked professional. Ask around, Google or go to your local paint store and ask about painting fiberglass. A friend of mine works at Home Depot she has NEVER steered me wrong. Good luck
Jenevieve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #6

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Our old boler had been sitting in a pasture underneath aspen trees for 20 or so years, she was black from tree stuff. We used spray nine spray it on let it sit for a bit and scrub. She came out nice and clean.

I then had to remove 3 layers of paint, I used aircraft paint remover, scrape her down to the gelcoat . than sanded and sanded some more till nice and smooth I filled in some cracks and pin holes by using body filler.

Once smooth I use Interlux pre-kote primer and I rolled it on, the primer will fill small pin holes and spider cracks as well.

After that sand her again with I think 400 grit paper. Wiped her down with a damp cloth.
Then I used Interlux Brightside top paint, I did the roll and tip method and she came out beautiful. I did 2 coats, be sure to sand between coats and wipe her down good with a damp cloth.

Search you tube how to roll and tip, you need 2 people to do this job.

As for the paint you can go onto the Interlux marine paint website and pick your colours , there are not many.

You order the paint at any boat Chandlery store (marine store)
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, paint, painting