Cold Weather Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hah! - Have to chortle when I read of how others have coped with winter temps. Back in the 1970's, My SO and I spent many WINTER weekends camping along the beautiful Trans-Canada Highway on the NORTH side of Lake Superior ! We spent Friday evening (after work) just digging enough snow out for a campsite just big enough to get the half-ton truck with it's piggy-back camper, off the highway. Spent the week-end there and returned to town in time to start work on Monday morning. NO WATER anywhere on board for that 'boondocking'. We made ample use of snowshoes to get to the nearby bushes for necessities. Just relaxed, and enjoyed PURE nature with a propane stove, furnace, and loads of appropriate clothing. A treasured camping experience from our younger days. Thanks for the memories !
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #22

Name: Sam
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
We have a 13' Scamp. It does have a double layer of bubble insulation which does help. But windows are the primary place for heat loss. We use ours during the winter as an extra bedroom when the kids/grandkids come for Christmas. I've slept in it when it was -10 F, but with down comforter and lots of covers - used very little heat except for when it was time to get up! Of course, it was winterized, so no water in system. With a heater I probably kept it around 30 degrees F. We love the shoulder seasons in Wisconsin - March/April, or October. Scamp is made in northern Minnesota, so they do think about cold weather.
samboholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:00 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile It gets below freezing in Yuma sometimes

We just use an oil filled radiator. Except for little clicks when it cycles on/off it is absolutely silent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Feature Comfort.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	89052

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:36 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
1970s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
Hah! - Have to chortle when I read of how others have coped with winter temps. Back in the 1970's, My SO and I spent many WINTER weekends camping along the beautiful Trans-Canada Highway on the NORTH side of Lake Superior ! We spent Friday evening (after work) just digging enough snow out for a campsite just big enough to get the half-ton truck with it's piggy-back camper, off the highway. !
Dave

People forget, the 1870'2 was a period of cold weather when climate scientists and the media were claiming we were entering another ice age.

I also had to look up 'chortle'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
...The water tank is inside, the plumbing is inside. The only thing that's outside is the gray water tank.
What about the drain lines for the shower, since I think we're talking about a front bath Casita? Would they hold residual water and cause problems?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #26

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

I also had to kook up 'chortle'.
I know you meant "look up".

It is the sound made by people who erupt in laughter with their mouth full and their carbonated beverage floods the nasal cavity.

I like this part: coined by Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass, 1871, according to Random House
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Norm, and Paul;
Webster's dictionary, indicates a chortle, is a 'gleeful chuckle', something I do regularly. But, I don't remember doing it back in 1870.
Jon - My response indicated 'NO WATER on board'; we did clean out ALL lines, drains and tanks whenever WINTER camping.
We often tell people that in this region we have 10 months of winter, and two months of 'tough sledding'.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote