Compact Jr Love at First Sight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Name: Lolli
Trailer: Compact Jr 1972?
Texas
Registry
Compact Jr Love at First Sight

Newbie here but we found a Compact Jr on Craigslist 3 hours away from us and went and bought it the next day. It needs canvas and a few more things but overall in great shape. We were told it was a 1975 but no diamond vinyl on walls and no evidence there ever was. There are some numbers on the passenger side wheel well under the bench starting with 2-2-1972. Does anyone know if that means it is a 1972? Any good sources for replacement canvas? I can sew it but since I haven't seen an original I'm not sure what the fabric is and if I can find it and or screen for ventilation in it. What about a source for custom size foam for cushions/bed? Grateful for any help you can give.
Lolli K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Two sets of these should get you close to the size you need.

Set of 36" x 22" RV camper PALAMINO Dinette Cushion Covers Only Wells Sand | eBay
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli K View Post
Newbie here but we found a Compact Jr on Craigslist 3 hours away from us and went and bought it the next day. It needs canvas and a few more things but overall in great shape. We were told it was a 1975 but no diamond vinyl on walls and no evidence there ever was. There are some numbers on the passenger side wheel well under the bench starting with 2-2-1972. Does anyone know if that means it is a 1972? Any good sources for replacement canvas? I can sew it but since I haven't seen an original I'm not sure what the fabric is and if I can find it and or screen for ventilation in it. What about a source for custom size foam for cushions/bed? Grateful for any help you can give.
For the screen I recommend vinyl coated window screen. It will last many years longer than uncoated fiberglass screen. I purchased mine at Lowes. It had a 10 year warranty. There was enough material on the roll for replacing the screens on all the windows as well as using it for my pop up top. The roll I got was rated for protection from "no-see-ums". It is soft enough to fold easily and it was easy to sew but it is also very strong.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:39 AM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Congratulations Lolli, maybe you found your trailer in College Station? That one looked very nice.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

Name: Dail
Trailer: 1971 Compact Jr
California
Registry
When I replaced the canvas on my Junior, I used Sunbrella that I sourced from a local awning shop and put screen openings in using normal fiberglass window screen. For the foam cushions, since there's nothing special about the shape, I went to a local foam/upholstery shop and talked to them about the various qualities and durabilities of foam and had them cut me the large rectangles. I sewed mock-box covers out of upholstery material I found on sale.
Dail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #6

Name: Lolli
Trailer: Compact Jr 1972?
Texas
Registry
Thanks for all the help!

This forum is invaluable. All you experienced folks are such a help to newbies like me. And, yes, we did find our Compact Jr in College Station on Craigslist. I don't think the guy realized what a treasure he had but maybe it is only a treasure to those of us who can appreciate cute little fiberglass rv's.
Lolli K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Texas
Registry
popup replacement material

Mine was replaced before I got it -- they used a dark red sunbrella material with no windows/screens. If I had done it I think a lighter color would be better but not sure I care that there are no windows. I'd love to see photos. We have the 2 twin benches instead of the dining booth.
macmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
First Sight Of 1973 Compact Jr. Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket

The original was vinyl with two "windows" covered by sewn in cloth screens. The screens were surrounded with Velcro and had rolled up clear vinyl covers. The clear vinyl could be rolled down to make the windows water and wind proof. Hope this helps. I think Hunter Industries stopped production of trailers in 1975 or 1976. Often trailers are assigned a "year" when they are first titled and not when they were made. If you have time, bring it over to the Pineknot Rally.

http://www.mfrvg.com/pineknot