Congratulations our camper was stolen! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Jayco
Colorado
Congratulations our camper was stolen!

A little tongue in cheek, but our 2011 Jayco Ultralight Hybrid was stolen last month. I had been on these forums wanting to go even lighter for several years. We no longer needed the two queen beds, and considered selling when it was stolen from my office parking lot. I did love that camper tho, but luckily the wife kept it fully insured, we just got $9,500 +/- (might have gotten more selling but that "camper has sailed'!). Were also trying to get contents on homeowners, all my "junk" came up to an honest $2,000, lots of camp chef stuff, good quality portable solar etc. we'll see.

I am fairly set on a Casita 17' Deluxe now, love that floor plan, have a 6-5 adult son so the height would be better than 16' (learned that on forum this month). I'm not against similar models, but I see allot more Casitas here in CO.

Wife bought a new Highlander last year with no intention of towing the 19' Jayco (3900# dry/empty). She traded the Sequoia (simply an excellent TV for that weight) and I bought a Tundra. Now I'm actually excited to have a "choice" in tow vehicles (Highlander tops out around 4K). And I get to set up another (not) truck for towing! (this one is harder as not prewired for brakes or charge circuit, but I'm just a little below "expert", so I will "win"

This forum has been indispensable in learning about "those strange little egg shaped campers". We are consummate shoppers, so will probably look for a 4-? year old 17' Casita this winter when prices are down and I have more time.

Thanks,
Bob in CO
rlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Sorry to hear about your loss and welcome. My Progressive Insurance policy for the Boler has insurance for the contents of the trailer as well as the trailer itself. They do a stated value policy where you tell them what the trailer is worth. I based my value of what I paid and the going rates. I will have to up the amount once I have finished upgrading the interior and will keep receipts for all the parts I buy so I can show the value.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome! You definitely came out ahead financially, thanks to the insurance, and without the hassle of selling. Molded fiberglass is a step down in size but a leap forward in value.

An Escape 17 would also be towable by the Highlander. A Bigfoot 17.5 would allow all-season use, but would require the Tundra to pull. Nothing wrong with the Casita, just throwing out some alternatives you might run across.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Time for a tracker in the new one. I use the trak4, cheap to buy, then a small monthly fee to use it. I have WAY more work and $$ "invested" in my Scamp then insurance would ever pay. good luck.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
You say you love the floor plan of the 17' Casita, but there are 4 floor plans???
At 6'5" I'd be looking at a Parkliner, as far as I know, the only fiberglass with propane that would suit. There's also the Eggcamper, but you'd need to do a major mod to add propane if you want to boondock. Several here have done that, so help would be available.

Walt
Old 08-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlong View Post
A little tongue in cheek, but our 2011 Jayco Ultralight Hybrid was stolen last month. I had been on these forums wanting to go even lighter for several years. We no longer needed the two queen beds, and considered selling when it was stolen from my office parking lot. I did love that camper tho, but luckily the wife kept it fully insured, we just got $9,500 +/- (might have gotten more selling but that "camper has sailed'!). Were also trying to get contents on homeowners, all my "junk" came up to an honest $2,000, lots of camp chef stuff, good quality portable solar etc. we'll see.

I am fairly set on a Casita 17' Deluxe now, love that floor plan, have a 6-5 adult son so the height would be better than 16' (learned that on forum this month). I'm not against similar models, but I see allot more Casitas here in CO.

Wife bought a new Highlander last year with no intention of towing the 19' Jayco (3900# dry/empty). She traded the Sequoia (simply an excellent TV for that weight) and I bought a Tundra. Now I'm actually excited to have a "choice" in tow vehicles (Highlander tops out around 4K). And I get to set up another (not) truck for towing! (this one is harder as not prewired for brakes or charge circuit, but I'm just a little below "expert", so I will "win"

This forum has been indispensable in learning about "those strange little egg shaped campers". We are consummate shoppers, so will probably look for a 4-? year old 17' Casita this winter when prices are down and I have more time.

Thanks,
Bob in CO
Prices on Casita's usually don't drop much if at all even in the winter. If you find a nice one then grab it. There aren't many out there in good shape. I think the Casita is better in quality than some of the others and has most of the things we like in campers such as refrigerators that run on propane and electric, bathrooms which is a necessity to us, furnace, A/C with a heat strip in many, full water system, no pump to put the bath grey water into the holding tank as it flows straight into the holding tank, etc. If a person has removed factory installed items I'd think twice on buying it. If they did then who knows how much stuff they messed up doing it and otherwise. Good luck on finding your perfect Casita. We love ours.
Jann Todd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Sorry about your loss. Back in 2014, on my first trip pulling an enclosed car trailer, said trailer was stolen while parked at Charger Enterprises in Elkhart, IN (my Super C was at Chargers for upgrades). The Police Officer taking the theft report told me that Elkhart is THE trailer theft capital of the world (SO many business generate VINs and, most states are NOT too concerned re:trailer registrations so, it's easy to re-VIN a trailer and sell it out of state).

My first RV was a 2010, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe Travel Trailer I bought new. Casitas are a GREAT way to get started (or downsize) in RVing. I expect you'll be VERY happy in a Casita.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #8

Name: Barb
Trailer: Escape 19
Newfoundland
I suggest coming up to Canada and buying an Escape trailer. I've had one for three years, living in it fulltime for the last year and it's wonderful, better even that I imagined, no complaints. And it's light!
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #9

Name: Robbie
Trailer: Casita
California
Consider a Liberty Deluxe

If you are a couple and maybe getting a little less limber you might consider a Casita Liberty Deluxe. It has a Twin Bed configuration but can also be converted to King. This avoids the “Crawling Over Your Partner” dance to go to the restroom in the middle of the night. The Twin beds in the LD are 24” wide but can easily be moded to wider. There is also an Independence Deluxe which has wider beds but a noticeably narrower isle.

I have a 16LD and like it very much but mostly travel alone. I think a 17LD would be better for a Couple.
Rob in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote