Considering a 1981 FiberStream in TX - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #1

Name: Nathaniel
Trailer: Fiber Stream
MN
Registry
Considering a 1981 FiberStream in TX

I recently got a new job where my wife and I will both be working remote. We have been looking at small campers for awhile and found a 1981 FiberStream in TX on Craigslist. It's 3950 with $500 down. The guy is very interesting... 82 years old and has lived about 50 different lives. He even has his own website

Link -> Home

Anyways, I'm curious what people think about the repairs needed (ex. the Rat Fur Vinyl) and what questions I need to ask. He said I'm first in line since I'm crazy enough to drive across the country from MN to pick it up. I am fairly handy and worked plenty with fiberglass. We would pick it up this weekend

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/rv...300366760.html

I listed every sold FiberStream I could find on the internet to compare prices/conditions and it seems pretty reasonable to me.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Phano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:24 AM   #2

MN
Registry
We pulled the trigger! We will pick it up this coming Sunday! Sounds like it will need all new wheels before taking it back to Minnesota.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Wow
Just read about the trailers owner
Interesting guy for sure
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
fiberstream

Good thing you pulled the trigger fast , That trailer at that price wouldn't have been available for long !! Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #5

fiberstream

Phano Just what I hope is a helpful suggestion . Before I moved this trailer very far ( and it appears you have a long trip home ) I would replace all four tires. The owner mentions a new spare but no mention of the four on the trailer now . It appears the trailer has seen little use so the tires may have been in the hot Texas heat for years and are at high risk for blowouts . Please save yourself a lot of grief and get all four new ones on the ground . Lee and Norma
Old 04-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #6

MN
Registry
Yeah I asked about the old tires and he says he hasn't changed them in 25 years at least... haha first stop will be the nearest place that sells tires. Will also need to grease/pack bearings for sure. Should I have any concerns of the axles for this long roadtrip?
Old 04-06-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

fiberstream

Phano I don't forsee axle problems but if it has brakes you should have a good look at them when you either pack the wheel bearings or have them packed ( it probably doesn't have brakes but could have them ) I am not personally knowledgable about whether or not the Fiberstream will have them . Lee and Norma
Old 04-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #8

MN
Registry
It actually does have brakes on the front axle. The rear axle does not
Old 04-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #9

Name: Randy & Ranae
OR - Oregon
Registry
We ended up buying new tires with wheels from Amazon. Less risky than trying to get tires out of town: Two Trailer Tires On Rims 5.30-12 530-12 5.30 X 12 4 Lug Wheel White Spoke, search on Amazon. About $58 each tires and rims.

Make sure brakes are moving freely before you travel. If they don't, remove the hub and take off the brake so it can be services before using. You won't be able to get spare parts if the brakes get toasted.

Congrats on the find! The add is gone, so we can't see what it was any more.

Post pictures, quick!
OR335d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberstream