Considering Bigfoot, Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #1

Name: Etienne
Trailer: Currently shopping
Quebec
Considering Bigfoot, Trillium

Hi

I’m looking to buy a fiberglass trailer, My #1choice is the Bigfoot 17 or 17.5 . I found a 1993 that I am going to check out soon... I’m questionning myself on few points...

1- is the Bigfoot the best option for that size, what at the others to consider? (Live in Qc not many for sale) we are 2 adults and my 11y old son.

2- what are the things to look at (issues) before buying? Plywood? How to find out thise things.

3- the downside of the Bigfoot is apparently the weight... I am driving a F150 v8 that I want to change for a Touareg TDI. Will I be fine? With a good weight distribution kit?

4. What should be the value of a 1993 bigfoot 17.5 in good condition?

Thanks and any good insight would be appreciated! I am anxious to read you!

Is it the right trend for these questions?
Etiennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
My first fiberglass trailer was a Trillium 4500. I enjoyed that trailer because it was so light and easy to hook up and tow. We sold it because I got married and my new wife wanted a bathroom. My second fiberglass was a Scamp 19' 5th wheel. It was also light and easy to haul although hooking it up was a bit challenging at times, it did have facilities. My third fiberglass trailer was/is a 17' Bigfoot Deluxe with the center bath, currently for sale. Compared to my first two trailers it is downright luxurious. It has tons of storage, a full sized 2 door fridge/freezer, awning, Oak cupboards, AC, etc, etc. and is incredibly well built. I love the trailer but it is heavier and not as streamlined as some of the other fiberglass trailers. Two days ago I purchased a Bonair Oxygen. It is very light, very slender, very streamlined, and I might add very sexy lol. It doesn't have AC, it doesn't have a shower, it doesn't have an awning, and it doesn't have any storage to speak of. Why might you ask would I down size from a Bigfoot with everything (A luxurious Rolls Royce if you will} to a trailer with little in the way of comforts (a sports car is a good analogy). In my case it comes down to my personal lifestyle. I'm retired. I have a house on a lake in Eastern Washington where I summer. I have a house in Boulder City Nevada where I winter. In between we travel up and down the Pacific coast and wherever our hearts desire. In other words I don't need my trailer to also be a house. I need an easy to pull, easy to wrangle, bathroom and bedroom on wheels. Rarely will it be lived in more than a few days at a time.
What a trailer owner needs to prioritize #1 is what are your own personal needs? Do you need the storage, do you need AC, do you need a shower (I've never used one in any rig I've owned)? How much trailer can your vehicle haul (I have a 2016 Colorado Duramax diesel 30 mpg on hwy without towing)? How far will you be going most of the time (my minimum trip is over 1000 miles but mostly 3000 to 4000 miles at a time)? With my Bigfoot I got 13-14 mpg on my last major trip. I just bought this Oxygen in Edmonton and I averaged 23 mpg on the 600 mile trip coming home. I will see quite a savings when I travel long distances. The lighter less luxurious Oxygen will fit my needs and it is a great looking trailer to boot.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome!

Not 100% sure, but I think the Bigfoot 17.5' model arrived in the mid-2000's. Anything older than that is considered a 17'. The 17.5's have the full four season package and are heavier. Some older 17's have an optional winter package, but not all. Dual pane windows would be a clue.

The best place to research trailer values is the archive section here.
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...-trailers-sold

Other models in that size range... Boler 17', Casita 17D, Escape 17B, Trillium 5500. All of the others are under 7' wide, while the Bigfoot is a full 8' wide. You'll definitely notice the extra width when towing, but you might appreciate it when camping, especially with a third person. An Escape 19 might be worth adding to your short list- the extra 2' of length gives you a larger bed and 4-person dinette without a huge increase in weight.

I can't comment on the suitability of a Tuareg for any of these trailers without knowing its towing specs. The owner's manual is the most reliable source for that information. To find one, google something like "2016 Tuareg Owner's Manual." It may vary by year.

Information on expected real-world towing weights of various trailers here. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet you can filter by make and model and calculate averages.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Best Wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Steve & John Thank you for your insights. Especially Steve because you have the experience.

Steve, it looks like you also have experience with the Chevy Colorado diesel. If you have not posted about it, I'm sure many of us would enjoy hearing your likes and dislikes of this newer diesel. Would you choose it again?

In order to not completely hijack this thread, if you post, or have posted, you might start a new thread, and share a link here. Thanks again.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Boler 17

Our latest purchase (still not ready for general use) is a Boler 17. Here are the Boler 17 pluses:

- This camper is 8 feet wide, yielding LOTS of floor space.
- It tows very smoothly, actually better than our Trillium 4500 even though our Trillium 4500 has a new axle. We believe its because the Boler 17 is more streamlined.
- Lots of storage

Trillium 4500 pluses:

- LOVE the jalousie windows which provide large amount of ventilation and can be left open during rain
- Lots of storage
- Large dinette converts to full size bed 52"x75"

Etienne, here are things you need to check in all older campers:

- Eventually vents, windows, ports, center seams (in some campers) will leak. This may cause plywood in the floor and around windows to rot, so thoroughly check the plywood for rot.
- Many models have torsion axles that eventually wear out and will need to be replaced.
- The frame eventually rusts out and must be thoroughly checked.
- Always check running lights, wheel bearings, and tire age/condition before towing.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Steve & John Thank you for your insights. Especially Steve because you have the experience.

Steve, it looks like you also have experience with the Chevy Colorado diesel. If you have not posted about it, I'm sure many of us would enjoy hearing your likes and dislikes of this newer diesel. Would you choose it again?

In order to not completely hijack this thread, if you post, or have posted, you might start a new thread, and share a link here. Thanks again.
Well thank you for the compliment. In reality most everyone here has as much or more experience than I do and usually far better advice.
I just love these little fiberglass trailers. Buy one and you will become hooked like the rest of us lol.
My Colorado has almost 57,000 miles on it. I love it and would buy it again. The only change I'd make is to buy the extended warranty. Unlike most diesels these are fairly new technology. Fairly new means extremely expensive lol. I've not had too many problems. Currently I have a check engine light. I had it checked and it was a fan clutch sensor. No overheating or even a rise in temp. I made an appt to get it fixed and the next day the light went out. I cancelled my appt after 8 days of not coming back on. After I cancelled my appt the light came back on. Anyhow its not on warranty and will be $800 because the sensor is in the fan and both have to be changed grrrrrrrrrr. I do love the power for towing and the mileage is incredible. However the better mileage is mitigated by the much more expensive diesel plus the DEF fluid, plus the constant changing of fuel filters, plus the $10 a quart dexos 2 oil that must be used. LOL try to find Dexos 2, most auto parts places have never heard of it.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Bigfoot built the 17 up until 2004. In 2005 the 17.5 was introduced. There are 2 models. The CB or center bath and the G or Goucho model. I believe the 17.5 weighs about 500 pounds (dry) more than the 17. Good luck with your search.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium, bigfoot