Cracked the Egg and Joined the Club! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
Member
 
Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Posts: 67
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Tania, this is per the owners of the Trailmit next to us on the tail lights. They had two round tail lights per each side, which I thought looked really cool. They said the round lights were a retro-fit and it originally came with one rectangular light on each side.
Thanks Danny!
TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
Member
 
Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Posts: 67
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As Donna said, I am in Calgary, Alberta. The Pick and Pull that I go to is at the intersection of Barlow Trail and Glenmore Trail, in the south east.

Actually, I was there today, at lunch. Only two camper vans, One actually had an RM36E in it. In the two times I actually looked, I found an RM36E each time. I guess they were popular around here. This one had been stripped of almost everything on the back of the fridge though. No telling if the cooler worked, maybe if you had a small torch, and a lot of time. I am looking for a knob and some shelves, for my spare one.

My spare RM36E is quite rusty. I would like to restore it, but I am not sure how to proceed. Brush off the rust, and give it a coat of heat resistant paint seems like a start. Hope I don't do more damage then good.

My spare RM211 that I got in Magrath, with kijiji, has a few small rust spots, but is in almost new condition. The paint almost looks fresh. Since I paid almost five times as much for it, ($120, including gas) I guess that makes sense.

There is yet another RM211 for sale in Alberta:
Small R.V. Fridge - Alberta Parts, Accessories For Sale - Kijiji Alberta Canada.
At $275, it is the most expensive one I have seen.
First, I didn't know what Kijiji was, thought maybe it was local to Canada only, but found out it was a subsidiary of Ebay. I looked on ours and we just don't seem to have the little fridges like Canada. Will keep looking.
David, How could you tell that was a RM211? I couldn't see where that was posted? Or do you just recognize it by sight?
Hoping to go to the "by appt only" place this afternoon... maybe we will be lucky!
TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,889
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaniaD View Post
David, How could you tell that was a RM211? I couldn't see where that was posted? Or do you just recognize it by sight?
By sight. I have one in my first 1300.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #24
Member
 
Barrett family's Avatar
 
Name: Curtis
Trailer: Trillium 5500
Quebec
Posts: 57
Welcome fellow trillium owner! I'm fairly new too, and this forum is the best. Our trailer gets the most attention at the campground!

All the best

Barrett family
Barrett family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 262
Registry
A Trail Mite is a groovy little egg! I like the additional flair!

I have an older Dometic RM2201 3-way fridge that is approx 18" from the front of the door face, to the back. I did trim it out a little in the front with 1x2 trim to give it more room for circulation in the back, but technically it would have fit in the old ice box space.

I bought it off craigslist as a guy was parting out an old coleman pop-up camper. Think I paid $50 or so? It still freezes ice in the freezer on 12v/110 - not quite as cold running on LP. But, works nice! So, that gives you another model # of older fridge to search for, that would fit your needs. Good luck!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #26
Member
 
Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Posts: 67
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
A Trail Mite is a groovy little egg! I like the additional flair!

I have an older Dometic RM2201 3-way fridge that is approx 18" from the front of the door face, to the back. I did trim it out a little in the front with 1x2 trim to give it more room for circulation in the back, but technically it would have fit in the old ice box space.

I bought it off craigslist as a guy was parting out an old coleman pop-up camper. Think I paid $50 or so? It still freezes ice in the freezer on 12v/110 - not quite as cold running on LP. But, works nice! So, that gives you another model # of older fridge to search for, that would fit your needs. Good luck!
Hey Luke,
Thanks for the input. We just picked up that same model RM2201 last night. We paid more than $50 for it, but it was or seems to be in nice shape. I downloaded the manual for it. I am seeing where they are putting in the upper vent, but it seems to be go above the counter as well. How did you do yours? Also where did you get the fan (or did you install one) to give extra help to keeping the fridge cool?
We are excited about getting this all done. The welder is almost done with the repair and lengthening of the trailer tongue.
TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 262
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaniaD View Post
Hey Luke,
Thanks for the input. We just picked up that same model RM2201 last night. We paid more than $50 for it, but it was or seems to be in nice shape. I downloaded the manual for it. I am seeing where they are putting in the upper vent, but it seems to be go above the counter as well. How did you do yours? Also where did you get the fan (or did you install one) to give extra help to keeping the fridge cool?
We are excited about getting this all done. The welder is almost done with the repair and lengthening of the trailer tongue.
Great! Glad you found something!

Upper vent... yes, I put it right over the drip edge and right under the inside of the countertop. It was as close as I could get, tho not exactly how the manual prefers. You can see my vent placement on my Boler pic I just posted on another thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ard-53814.html

Fan... I did put a larger one in, and it runs frequently so I would recommend! I bought this one: Fridgecool Universal Vent Fan Plenty of people have used computer fans; they're cheap but I didn't have time to tinker with it at the time. Also, I have a small fan inside the fridge to help circulate the air. If you start out with cold/frozen items in the fridge, it helps make it a lot easier to keep things cool.

Lower vent... I have thoughts here too! I cut mine in about an inch too high. I should have cut it in to be nearly flush with the floor/base inside. As it sits now, it's very hard to see the pilot light (I have to use a mirror, actually) and tough to hit the ignitor. If I would have just dropped it, these wouldn't be an issue. I may in fact, put a larger vent in if I get the energy up! OR raise the fridge inside so it's higher.

I also used the smallest vents I could find so they'd be less conspicous. I regret that now, too small to work in - and I'm sure more airflow would help me out.

If you PM me your email address, I'll send you pics of when I was putting this all in!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #28
Member
 
Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Posts: 67
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Great! Glad you found something!

Upper vent... yes, I put it right over the drip edge and right under the inside of the countertop. It was as close as I could get, tho not exactly how the manual prefers. You can see my vent placement on my Boler pic I just posted on another thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ard-53814.html

Fan... I did put a larger one in, and it runs frequently so I would recommend! I bought this one: Fridgecool Universal Vent Fan Plenty of people have used computer fans; they're cheap but I didn't have time to tinker with it at the time. Also, I have a small fan inside the fridge to help circulate the air. If you start out with cold/frozen items in the fridge, it helps make it a lot easier to keep things cool.

Lower vent... I have thoughts here too! I cut mine in about an inch too high. I should have cut it in to be nearly flush with the floor/base inside. As it sits now, it's very hard to see the pilot light (I have to use a mirror, actually) and tough to hit the ignitor. If I would have just dropped it, these wouldn't be an issue. I may in fact, put a larger vent in if I get the energy up! OR raise the fridge inside so it's higher.

I also used the smallest vents I could find so they'd be less conspicous. I regret that now, too small to work in - and I'm sure more airflow would help me out.

If you PM me your email address, I'll send you pics of when I was putting this all in!
Hey Luke got the pics. That was great! Really appreciate it. Nice to see our fridge actually installed too.
TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 25,170
If you've purchased an OLD 3-way, do yourself a favor before the install and turn that sucker upside down/rightside up a couple of times (a day or so on each side). Believe it or not, that has been the "cure" for old refrigerators that have stopped working.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #30
Member
 
Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Posts: 67
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As Donna said, I am in Calgary, Alberta. The Pick and Pull that I go to is at the intersection of Barlow Trail and Glenmore Trail, in the south east.

Actually, I was there today, at lunch. Only two camper vans, One actually had an RM36E in it. In the two times I actually looked, I found an RM36E each time. I guess they were popular around here. This one had been stripped of almost everything on the back of the fridge though. No telling if the cooler worked, maybe if you had a small torch, and a lot of time. I am looking for a knob and some shelves, for my spare one.

My spare RM36E is quite rusty. I would like to restore it, but I am not sure how to proceed. Brush off the rust, and give it a coat of heat resistant paint seems like a start. Hope I don't do more damage then good.

My spare RM211 that I got in Magrath, with kijiji, has a few small rust spots, but is in almost new condition. The paint almost looks fresh. Since I paid almost five times as much for it, ($120, including gas) I guess that makes sense.

There is yet another RM211 for sale in Alberta:
Small R.V. Fridge - Alberta Parts, Accessories For Sale - Kijiji Alberta Canada.
At $275, it is the most expensive one I have seen.
Nick (spouse) said to tell you about Rust Mor. We found it at a Napa Auto store that had paint supplies. It is a little spendy, but it supposedly works well. It changes the rust into a stable, hard, paintable surface. That is what we plan on using on the frame once we get it back from the welder tomorrow. Good luck with your fridge.
We did find one after all. It was on craigslist. It is a Dometic 2201. It all seemed to be in good working order.
TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #31
Member
 
Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Posts: 67
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you've purchased an OLD 3-way, do yourself a favor before the install and turn that sucker upside down/rightside up a couple of times (a day or so on each side). Believe it or not, that has been the "cure" for old refrigerators that have stopped working.
Thanks Donna..I'll pass it along to hubby. He's working on it now.
TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,889
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaniaD View Post
We did find one after all. It was on craigslist. It is a Dometic 2201. It all seemed to be in good working order.
That's great. I assume that it is small enough to fit. It would be nice to have the dimensions of the all the fridges that have been installed in eggs. Since no one makes the smaller fridges any more, a chart that identifies compatable older fridges would help.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Cracked Egg Sue and Henry Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 05-09-2012 08:18 PM
Cracked Egg Dave Fish Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 25 02-05-2010 03:54 PM
We've joined the Egg Community Carl G General Chat 4 04-12-2009 11:41 PM
Egg Camping Club of GA, AL, TN TomP Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 4 10-31-2008 09:14 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.