Cracked the Egg and Joined the Club! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Registry
Cracked the Egg and Joined the Club!

Well we did it! We joined the Egg campers of America this last weekend! We bought our little 13' 1972 Trailmite. Our Anniversary gift to ourselves. Our daughter said I should have got a diamond, not an egg. I think this is my little diamond in the rough (or maybe a fresh water pearl, as it's shape is so interesting). I don't think we would have gone as crazy as we did, if it was not for this site. We were looking for something affordable, small and light weight and this site convinced us this was the way to go. We love all the information and ideas. As of last night, we have torn the little trailer completely apart. It needs a lot of love. There are no appliances with the trailer, so we will have to replace all but the sink.
Questions:
1. I am finding it hard to find a fridge that fits the small space. Its the depth that is the problem. It can't be anymore than 18" as it slopes from 18 3/4 down to 17 3/4. I'd really like to get a 3 way. Anyone know of a particular model that does that?
2. We will be needing all the cushions too. Any place you know of that would be a good deal on those? I was wondering if anyone knows if the cushion size is the same with the 13' Scamp or 13' Boler? We will be making the front dinette into a little different configuration than bunkbeds, so I will have to modify them, but I gotta start somewhere! Right now, I have no pattern on any of it.
3.We live outside Portland, Oregon so any referrals of good places to go to find things for the project are highly sought after
Thank you all for making such a cool site possible!! Looking forward to this new adventure. I posted some pics on my photo album so you can see how it goes. Not sure how to put them in order though..still trying to learn how to navigate it all
Attached Thumbnails
P1020682.jpg   P1020729.jpg  

TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Congratulations. At the last NOG get together we had a trailmite next to us and got to really check it out. I like the tail light flairs, which reminds me of a 50s style car, and the eye brow in front.
To answer a few of your questions:

1. Q- I am finding it hard to find a fridge that fits the small space. Its the depth that is the problem. It can't be anymore than 18" as it slopes from 18 3/4 down to 17 3/4. I'd really like to get a 3 way. Anyone know of a particular model that does that?"

A- I don't believe they make a replacment refrigerator that's less than 22" (1.9 cu ft) and most larger ones are 24" deep. If you want to keep your fiberglass kitchen front some have put wooden shims to flush out the refer front.

2. Can't help you with that

3. A little more information on what items you may need. I have a scamp and ordered hardware items from them. You might also check "Vintage trailers". There are other ones out their, which others may chime in on.

Have a fun time fixing it up.
Dan
Old 08-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I found an AC/DC (no LP gas mode) 1.7 cu. ft. fridge here:
TruckFridge Model: TF49 AC/DC [115 Volt AC/12 Volt DC]
It is 18" deep. You might be able to add some insulation around some of the sides and make it stay cool during a day of travel. Or add solar panels to the roof, and power it that way during the day.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrat's! And welcome, glad you joined the club...................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cool Tania! This is the current Dometic replacement chart and as Danny mentioned, I don't see anything smaller than a depth of 21-1/2 inches: http://www.dometic.com/c17faeab-a5a2...17a7cff0.fodoc and even then, I don't know if they're 3-way.

This is Norcolds version of the replacement chart: Refrigerator Conversion Chart

I can't answer your cushion question, sorry.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have found good fridges on kijiji for $100. If you have the model number of the original, it was probably installed in some tent trailer that is being scraped to make a quad trailer. Or at least that was how I got a Dometic RM211, which, if I am measuring correctly, is 16" deep. It also has a freezer section, which you won't find in current small three way fridges. BTW, you should have some space behind your fridge for air circulation. Maybe some fans as well.The fridge I purchased was the third RM211 that sold in Alberta, for $100, (or less) last week.

Another good source for fridges is the wreckers. The local Pick and Pull sells fridges for $25. No guarantee that they work though. You will also have to get dirty.

In your second photo, what kind of dog is that?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Looks like a Bernese Mountain Dog.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #8

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Oregon
Pick & Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have found good fridges on kijiji for $100. If you have the model number of the original, it was probably installed in some tent trailer that is being scraped to make a quad trailer. Or at least that was how I got a Dometic RM211, which, if I am measuring correctly, is 16" deep. It also has a freezer section, which you won't find in current small three way fridges. BTW, you should have some space behind your fridge for air circulation. Maybe some fans as well.The fridge I purchased was the third RM211 that sold in Alberta, for $100, (or less) last week.

Another good source for fridges is the wreckers. The local Pick and Pull sells fridges for $25. No guarantee that they work though. You will also have to get dirty.

In your second photo, what kind of dog is that?
Hey David ~ Which Pick & Pull do you go to? I'm lucky to find even parts for my van at the one near me. Never seen a camper or trailer there (Foster Road - Portland).
Kevin PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin PDX View Post
Hey David ~ Which Pick & Pull do you go to? I'm lucky to find even parts for my van at the one near me. Never seen a camper or trailer there (Foster Road - Portland).
Since David is in Alberta... I'm betting on the other side of the border. If you're looking for RV wreckers, check out this list... it's updated regularly:
RV Salvage/Surplus Yards (List) Updated 8/01/12 - RV Forums - myRVparks.com
The Canadian stuff is about 3/4 down the page
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
very cool .
my sugjestion is that you make a cardboard template of the cushons and send it to scamp. if theirs fit your in luck,,,if not, they sew their own so you can ask what they would charge to make you up a set, my guess is about what they get for a set of theirs. maybe they just need a little tuck and stitchto make theirs a perfect fit.

another option,,, not knowing where you live of course,,, is a local fav of mine. we have an amish gentleman not far from us that canvase and interiors for boats... very good work at almost embaresing prices.
and it makes me feel good to give them my business, as it means so much to them.
see whats in your area.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #11

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Looks like a Bernese Mountain Dog.
Yes Roy, it is a Bernese. We have two. We got them both as adults that were needing a home from separate situations. We love them! But there sure is ALOT of fur flying around . The are very interested in the trailer and it makes it hard to work when they want to be in there with us while we are tearing it apart.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaniaD View Post
Yes Roy, it is a Bernese. We have two. We got them both as adults that were needing a home from separate situations. We love them! But there sure is ALOT of fur flying around . The are very interested in the trailer and it makes it hard to work when they want to be in there with us while we are tearing it apart.
hmmmmm trying to picture where they will sleep,,,,of course you could just give up and bring along a tent for you to sleep in.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #13

Oregon
Registry
[QUOTE=DannyH;326242]Congratulations. At the last NOG get together we had a trailmite next to us and got to really check it out. I like the tail light flairs, which reminds me of a 50s style car, and the eye brow in front.

We are trying to decide what the original tail lights looked like. There is a cut out and we think that it was after factory. No tail lights now, so we can only guess. I like the round ones, but then it does have the "taillite flairs" so maybe a rectangle would fit it better.

Okay I am not too savy on how to answer these evidently. I try the quote and it gives each one a separate box and I lost what I was writing. So bear with me please.

Great ideas from everyone. I am saving them in a file so I can keep the information as we are looking and deciding how to get it all done. We found what looks like a salvage RV place. We are hoping to go there this weekend. It is by appt only, so we will see. If it is any good, I'll post it for others. It is here in Oregon.

Mike, I am thankful for any input. When I try to look up fridges, they are all too big. I did find one thru Affordable Rving in Milwaukee OR. They said they could order it for me...but it also was not a 3 way. I wonder if it is the same, as what you sent me? Copied your link too, just in case. I may have to do as some have and just shim it up.

Oh the fun of remodeling!! Thank you for all your support and love looking at your pics for more ideas!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #14

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
hmmmmm trying to picture where they will sleep,,,,of course you could just give up and bring along a tent for you to sleep in.
John, the funny thing is I did not want a camper van as our dogs couldn't be with us.. But with a truck and the trailer, we can all "go" together, but maybe they'll have to sleep in the truck or if it is bad weather (scary thunder etc) they'll cram in the the front dinette and floor, we get the back dinette/bed! (But don't tell my husband I said that..he's under the impression they will be in the truck)
Old 08-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Congratulations! I see that you're doing the full frame-off bit. I did that a few years ago with our TrailMite too.

A strong word of advice...the tongue on our TrailMite was nearly torn off by a hard bump back in '07. I can't say for sure but I suspect that the tubing has thinner walls than what other brands use and may even be a smaller diameter. I beefed ours up by using angle iron to basically box in the original material and form a double-wall structure.

I'm anxious to watch the progress on your 'mite. Maybe we can do a side-by-side comparison some time!
Vic
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #16

Oregon
Registry
[QUOTE=Vic&Kathy;326422]Congratulations! I see that you're doing the full frame-off bit. I did that a few years ago with our TrailMite too.

A strong word of advice...the tongue on our TrailMite was nearly torn off by a hard bump back in '07. I can't say for sure but I suspect that the tubing has thinner walls than what other brands use and may even be a smaller diameter. I beefed ours up by using angle iron to basically box in the original material and form a double-wall structure.

I'm anxious to watch the progress on your 'mite. Maybe we can do a side-by-side comparison some time!
Vic

Yep Vic, we took it all off. When we got it off Nick wanted to reinforce the frame and extend the tongue...then we saw that the leif springs are cracked on both sides, the tongue which someone had attempted to reinforce was failing and there was even a crack on the frame, none of which we could see before we took the frame off. We took it to all be welded by a professional, as Nick can do some welding, but this became more than we were willing to risk as it became a safety factor. They are replacing the whole front back to the frame (Is all that assembly called the tongue?) and creating an extension, so it should be easier to turn and not hit the truck if we need to make a sharp turn. (Hopefully more room for a battery and tanks). It will be heavier gauge tubing. We were talking about a heavy duty angle iron, but they decided this was better. We get it back next week. Give us time to keep looking for all the other things we are going to need. He picked up some fiberglass from Bimart. Got the last container of resin. They will no longer be carrying it, so got it for a good price.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic&Kathy View Post
Congratulations! I see that you're doing the full frame-off bit. I did that a few years ago with our TrailMite too.

Vic
This is what Trillium did to strengthen their frame. The reinforcement is just about in the middle, between the hitch, and the axle. The steel straps are on the inside and the outside of the square tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium 4500 Frame.jpg   Trillium 4500 Frame Detail.jpg  

Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin PDX View Post
As Donna said, I am in Calgary, Alberta. The Pick and Pull that I go to is at the intersection of Barlow Trail and Glenmore Trail, in the south east.

Actually, I was there today, at lunch. Only two camper vans, One actually had an RM36E in it. In the two times I actually looked, I found an RM36E each time. I guess they were popular around here. This one had been stripped of almost everything on the back of the fridge though. No telling if the cooler worked, maybe if you had a small torch, and a lot of time. I am looking for a knob and some shelves, for my spare one.

My spare RM36E is quite rusty. I would like to restore it, but I am not sure how to proceed. Brush off the rust, and give it a coat of heat resistant paint seems like a start. Hope I don't do more damage then good.

My spare RM211 that I got in Magrath, with kijiji, has a few small rust spots, but is in almost new condition. The paint almost looks fresh. Since I paid almost five times as much for it, ($120, including gas) I guess that makes sense.

There is yet another RM211 for sale in Alberta:
Small R.V. Fridge - Alberta Parts, Accessories For Sale - Kijiji Alberta Canada.
At $275, it is the most expensive one I have seen.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaniaD View Post

Cool! I thought I recognized the breed, when I met up with freddo411,
Fiberglass RV - View Profile: freddo411
to buy yet more spare parts, he had two of them with him. I believe his trailer is named after them. Big dogs for such a small trailer.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #20

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Tania, this is per the owners of the Trailmit next to us on the tail lights. They had two round tail lights per each side, which I thought looked really cool. They said the round lights were a retro-fit and it originally came with one rectangular light on each side.