crossing mtns midwest to east coast - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #1

Name: Gerhard
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
crossing mtns midwest to east coast

Hi all. Gerhard and JoAnne here from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. Scared of mountains but need to go from midwest across some interstate to reach Myrtle Beach SC on the East Coast. Is there a "best" interstate to take west to east where the grade is most gradual, no cliffs at the side of the road and preferably not a toll road. (13 ft Boler with Dodge Grand Caravan) Thx.
Lucky haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I don't know about a best way, but the mountains are not that bad if you take interstate highways.
I looked at the Google maps routing and nothing looks too bad.
The route through Knoxville is busy but the mountains are not that bad.
I have traveled that pith towing a heavy 16' Scamp with my 2016 T&C minivan.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
You could go all the way down to the Gulf and then loop east from there and avoid the mountains altogether.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
But the mountains are the best part!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Bypass Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky haven View Post
Hi all. Gerhard and JoAnne here from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. Scared of mountains but need to go from midwest across some interstate to reach Myrtle Beach SC on the East Coast. Is there a "best" interstate to take west to east where the grade is most gradual, no cliffs at the side of the road and preferably not a toll road. (13 ft Boler with Dodge Grand Caravan) Thx.
First of all, if you have been in the Rockies, the east coast mountains are just big hills. Next, I’d worry more about Chicago, I run to Indianapolis now and then and use the route pictured. Only one or two tolls. Depending on you start point , I29 or I35 to I80 may work for you. I was just in the South east last fall. Great trip and I got to see the “Birthplace of the Blues” in the Mississippi delta on the way home.
Attached Thumbnails
chicago bipass.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Probably the least mountainous route is to go south from Winnipeg down I-29 to Kansas City, continuing South to Fort Smith, Arkansas. From there, go east to Memphis and on to Atlanta and east to Myrtle Beach. Some big hills along the way but no mountains with cliffs. No toll roads this way, either, according to my guide map.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #7

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
You could go all the way down to the Gulf and then loop east from there and avoid the mountains altogether.
If you're looking to completely avoid mountains, this is the easy solution. But the "mountains" through Nashville are barely more than hills and the interstate is mostly built through cut outs blasted out of the rock. If you can time the drive to avoid rush hours, you can head for Atlanta and then toward Myrtle Beach.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #8

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I40 from Knoxville to Asheville takes you right through the heart of the Smoky Mountains but is actually a pretty easy drive. The grade is not too steep and you never feel as if you are on the edge of a cliff. The worst part for me is the two(?) tunnels. They aren't long but I like to be in the right hand truck lane so I don't have a semi next to me in the tunnel. If I have to pass a really slow truck I make sure there is a gap ahead so I don't get stuck in the fast lane. The mountainous stretch is only 30 miles or so and it's a lot easier to traverse than 6 lanes through a city, IMO. I would go down to Kansas City then continue south on I49. Head east to Springfield MO. Very scenic drive with good roads to Paducah KY where you hit I24 which takes you to I40 at Nashville. There are several State and Federal campgrounds in SW MO, Land Between the Lakes near I24 in KY and several State Parks along I40 between Nashville and Knoxville. Should be an epic trip!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I would avoid Atlanta. The traffic on I75 from Chattanooga to ATL is horrible and there is no easy way around ATL to go east. Much easier IMO to go across I40 to Asheville, I26 to Columbia SC, then across to Myrtle Beach. JMO, I hate towing in heavy traffic.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #10

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I would totally take my time and drop down way south to avoid the western mountains. As someone else stated, the eastern mountains are just big hills....even Lookout Mountain.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
How about staying in Canada and driving east to Niagara. Cross into New York on 90 East to 87 south then 95 south. Nasty traffic from NY city to DC but no mountains.

I go from Massachusetts to Florida and I get on 81 South in PA and then 64 east to 95 south. That cuts out New Jersey that I won't set foot in, and that Northeast corridor traffic. There are some hills though but I wouldn't call them mountains. You can pick up 81 South off of 90 in New York.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:18 PM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I try to always avoid Chicago, Nashville, and Atlanta. Plenty of options there. I live in the mountains of NC. Most of my trips are to the western US, so I have tried many of the possible routes. I-40 through the mountains, TN border to about Waynesville, is a bit of a workout. Windy, twisty road, beautiful really. Best to do in the daylight. I've done it pulling my Escape 19, late at night, in the rain, lots of trucks, not fun! But it was the end of our trip, and time to get home.

Most of the time, I end up going through St Louis, you have to time that right to avoid rush hour. But its nothing like Chicago. I continue east on I-64 to Louisville, eventually catching I-75 south to Knoxville (thus avoiding Nashville). I take the outer loop around Knoxville to I-40 and on towards Asheville, NC.

That stretch of I-40 does not have steep grades, its just windy/twisty. Now if you go down I-26 from Johnson City, TN to Spartanburg, SC, there are some steep climbs. Mostly downhill going to Spartanburg, but heading back, its mostly uphill. Saluda Grade is pretty well known regionally. But if you take I-95 instead, you get hammered with NYC, Jersey Turnpike, Baltimore, Washington, DC. Migraine headache, lots of traffic, lots of tolls. And most toll roads really slam you with higher rates when you are towing a trailer.

If you go further east, +100 avoid NJ/NYC and take I-81 south to I-64 East. Note, I-81 has a few serious grades south of Wilkes Barre, PA.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
If you're looking to completely avoid mountains, this is the easy solution. But the "mountains" through Nashville are barely more than hills and the interstate is mostly built through cut outs blasted out of the rock. If you can time the drive to avoid rush hours, you can head for Atlanta and then toward Myrtle Beach.
We made the mistake of driving through Nashville at rush hour , never again
Dallas also was bad , worse than Atlanta in my Estimation .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
How about staying in Canada and driving east to Niagara. Cross into New York on 90 East to 87 south then 95 south. Nasty traffic from NY city to DC but no mountains.

I go from Massachusetts to Florida and I get on 81 South in PA and then 64 east to 95 south. That cuts out New Jersey that I won't set foot in, and that Northeast corridor traffic. There are some hills though but I wouldn't call them mountains. You can pick up 81 South off of 90 in New York.
We also take I 81 south in PA at Scranton, but then take I 77 over the mountain and down through Charlotte to I 26 at Columbia SC and out to I 95. I 77 is what I would call mountain. That is our route if we are going directly to Jekyll Island, otherwise we go to Cheraw SC first so down through Greensboro. We have done route 29 down through Virginia which is OK.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #15

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We made the mistake of driving through Nashville at rush hour , never again
Dallas also was bad , worse than Atlanta in my Estimation .
I have made the drive from Jacksonville, FL to the Midwest and back several times, almost always via the route I suggested. Never had a problem through Nashville but I time my drives so I'm not hitting it during AM or PM rush hours. Going through Atlanta was unpleasant, but still faster than making some wide detour. Plus I got to see cops chasing some guy using the shoulder as his personal race track.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
No need to fear those "hills" Interstate Hwys have maximum grades of 3 - 4 %
I am a prairie boy too, from Sask. But have learned to drive the steepest mountain roads. We pulled a 16 ft Scamp DLX with Honda Odyssey Vans.
Just learn how to downshift on the uphills, and downhills too to save your brakes. Unless you carry lots of heavy "stuff" the Caravan should just play with the 13 footer.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #17

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I would avoid Atlanta. The traffic on I75 from Chattanooga to ATL is horrible and there is no easy way around ATL to go east. Much easier IMO to go across I40 to Asheville, I26 to Columbia SC, then across to Myrtle Beach. JMO, I hate towing in heavy traffic.
Agreed. And it's a very scenic route.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
If you use Google Maps, or some such…. let it plot a route for you.
Then modify it for the places you want to stop and see.
It's a 27 hour, 2900 KM trip
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #19

Name: Mark
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Smile How to take those mountains head on

Would members have advice on how to drive the mountains safely? I'm sure having trailer brakes and understanding one's automatic transmission would help. Any advice on how to and teaching others the best mountain driving practices? Are there videos out there?

I'd much rather learn how to conquer than drive around life's obstacles...
MSFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #20

Name: Gerhard
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Red face crossing mtns midwest to east coast

We loved reading the replies. Thank you everyone. Clearly the usual mountain paranoia (like a claustrophobic in an elevator) will not be an issue. Looks like no meds needed. It was never a vehicle issue nor a how-to-drive concern. Appreciate everyone's time and effort. Gerhard and JoAnne
Lucky haven is offline   Reply With Quote