DaGoines - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Uhaul
North Carolina
DaGoines

Hi all....i just purchased a 84 u_haul rescued from the woods....needs things like windows new floor....also i need to look into repacking the wheel bearings....need to know how to do that...its had some modifications to the tongue length and it pulls really nice.......I’m pulling it with a 2018 rav4 adventure model rated to pull 3500#....look forward to learning more about it and using it....
DaGoines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:48 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Uhaul's had sealed bearing hubs, they are not serviceable. We owned one for 9 years, recently sold it. There is a great Facebook group with lots of information.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #3

New York
the Facebook group is U-Haul Camper. The campers used many proprietary parts, unique to them only. Windows were some of them. Is your door latch OK, I have one for sale.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #4

New York
If the camper sat in the woods for a long time, and the floor is rotten, there's a good chance that the tube parts of the frame are rusted out. One of Uhaul's poor designs is the frame, windows, especially the side windows were leakers.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #5

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoines View Post
Hi all....i just purchased a 84 u_haul rescued from the woods....needs things like windows new floor....also i need to look into repacking the wheel bearings....need to know how to do that...its had some modifications to the tongue length and it pulls really nice.......I’m pulling it with a 2018 rav4 adventure model rated to pull 3500#....look forward to learning more about it and using it....

Sounds like you should do a full restoration video you can monetize it, might make enough money to pay you back for some of what you spent. Get enough people following you and keep it going for camping fees.

I really don't know anything about he Uhaul but having someone weld you up a new frame if bad and getting a new axle solution wouldn't be so expensive to stop you since I assume you have little in the trailer at this point. Then everything else you spend money on will be worth the investment and would last you forever.

Can't wait to see the pics, start a thread here or link to it so I can follow your progress.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #6

New York
Assuming that you have the CT13 Uhaul it will not have brakes and they can not be installed on the original axle. If frame replacement becomes necessary, go with a new axle that has electric brakes.