Dave K from WA state - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Angry Dave K from WA state

Hi -
I am trying to solve some problems in my 2009 13ft Scamp, and will be sending out messages for helpl But first I'll look over the fine material already submitted by others. Thanks.

Let me start with these 2:

1) Am seeking advice as to how to remove the gas-fired furnace in my Scamp. It is not obvious to me how best to do this, and I am seeking directions or comments from anyone who has done this before.
Or, if necessary, suggestions on where to get such information, or names of reputable companies I could/should contact if necessary. I live in WA state, so WA/OR/CA firms could be considered if all else fails.

2) The drain from the 'kitchen' sink that goes out the drain pipe on the lower left side is not clear. Rather, it has a brownish/yellowish color to it. No odor. What is this, and how can it best be cleaned?

Thank you.
VashonDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:34 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Dave!

I’m curious why you are removing the furnace? We don’t use ours very often, but it’s saved a couple of trips where nighttime temperatures dropped into the 30’s. It’s pretty simple, and if it’s not working, there are just a few likely issues, not expensive (ours had a bad thermostat when we bought it). If you do remove it, you'll be left with the vent holes in the shell.

Either way- remove or repair- for safety I’d hire it done and have the LP system safety tested at the same time. For local recommendations, best bet is to talk to other RV owners in your area. Avoid big dealers and chains like Camping World.

Our 2008 lacked safety detectors from the factory. That’s something you’ll want to add if a previous owner hasn’t already.

The drain is also a very simple affair with a little hemispherical trap under the sink and a clear plastic tube to a fitting on the side of the trailer. Take it apart and clean or replace the trap and tube. Probably has some nasty build-up from previous use. Soak in soapy water with a bit of bleach and use a small bottle brush. If it’s really bad or starting to get brittle, just replace. The parts are cheap and easy to find. That one I’d tackle myself.

Congratulations and best wishes with your new trailer!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #3

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VashonDK View Post
Hi -
I am trying to solve some problems in my 2009 13ft Scamp, and will be sending out messages for helpl But first I'll look over the fine material already submitted by others. Thanks.

Let me start with these 2:

1) Am seeking advice as to how to remove the gas-fired furnace in my Scamp. It is not obvious to me how best to do this, and I am seeking directions or comments from anyone who has done this before.
Or, if necessary, suggestions on where to get such information, or names of reputable companies I could/should contact if necessary. I live in WA state, so WA/OR/CA firms could be considered if all else fails.

2) The drain from the 'kitchen' sink that goes out the drain pipe on the lower left side is not clear. Rather, it has a brownish/yellowish color to it. No odor. What is this, and how can it best be cleaned?

Thank you.
If you are saying when you run clean, clear water into that outlet and it comes out brownish, it is not surprising. That kind of corrugated hose is likely to trap particles of food or other things that run through it. The color you are describing sounds a lot like iron/rust. Perhaps some iron object or particles have gotten into the drain hose trap, and make rusty water in the hose trap. Then when you run clean water into the drain, it mixes with the rusty water and comes out brown/yellow.

For the small cost, replacement seems the best idea. However, if you just want to clean it out, I suggest that you should use something stronger.

If it is food trapped, sodium hydroxide (e.g. Draino) type of cleaner is best. If it is iron trapped, buy the acid type of drain cleaner. Or else you could just ignore it if there is no odor.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
If you are saying when you run clean, clear water into that outlet and it comes out brownish, it is not surprising. That kind of corrugated hose...
Mine is smooth, clear, plastic tubing from the trap to the exterior drain fitting.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp