Decisions, decisions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #21

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Not cheap if the axle doesn't have the mounting flange.
Thx, Good to know. Waiting on a quote with having to ad the flange
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #22

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organize4u View Post
Ok, here is the site which shows my car specs:

2011 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Base 4dr All-wheel Drive Hatchback Specs

It is an all wheel drive and weighs over 4K lbs. I do have a receiver hitch which I had installed. The seller is going to weigh the unit. The unit does not have brakes.

M
Careful reading the specs. It weighs about 3108 empty (probably some gas in it), the 4,190 is the MAXIMUM weight you shouldn't exceed. That should be measured with the trailer on the hitch.

Curb weight vs Gross weight, important difference there.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #23

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
Thx, Good to know. Waiting on a quote with having to ad the flange
On Scamps I think it's rare that you can just weld the flange on. Some axles have hubs that allow that, but I'm not clear how popular those are.

I couldn't weld the flanges on my hubs and needed a whole new axle. But the new axle and brakes were less than $400, before installation anyway, installation wasn't cheap.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1

Correct. Their factory receivers are not strong enough to support the leverage from the WDH. That is why a custom heavy duty receiver would be required.

This is a custom receiver being installed on a Sub. Quite a difference between custom and factory.
Actually this is totally incorrect. Subaru only started putting their own receivers on their cars in the past 2 years but the no WDH rule had been in effect long before. It's actually an issue with how a WDH impacts their all wheel drive system.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #25
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Actually this is totally incorrect. Subaru only started putting their own receivers on their cars in the past 2 years but the no WDH rule had been in effect long before. It's actually an issue with how a WDH impacts their all wheel drive system.
Interesting.

All the WDH does is transfer some of the weight from the back of the vehicle to the front of the vehicle. As long as one doesn't over load the specs on the axle weight ratings there shouldn't be any problems.

There are a lot of 4wd Subs using WDH's. No problems that we have heard of. There can be an issue with the Subs using a WDH and the factory air suspension but that is a different story.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1

Interesting.

All the WDH does is transfer some of the weight from the back of the vehicle to the front of the vehicle. As long as one doesn't over load the specs on the axle weight ratings there shouldn't be any problems.

There are a lot of 4wd Subs using WDH's. No problems that we have heard of. There can be an issue with the Subs using a WDH and the factory air suspension but that is a different story.
At the end of the day the bottom line is the people who build the car clearly in the manual state " Do not use with any type of weight distribution hitch" highlighted. Personally I will take their word for it rather than those who are speculating as to the reasons why.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If the Trillium does not exceed the Subaru's tow weight and hitch weight limitations, the combo should be ok IMO. With AWD and low center of gravity, the Subaru will handle an appropriate trailer very well. I hope the numbers are favorable for you.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #28

Name: Marie
Trailer: Shopping
Texas
thanks Mike; waiting for an exact weight on unit and tongue.
Organize4u is offline   Reply With Quote