DIY camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: DIY
Arkansas
DIY camper

Hello I am excited to be here and am building my own custom fiberglass hi lo type camper
bill91194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Titanium
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill91194 View Post
Hello I am excited to be here and am building my own custom fiberglass hi lo type camper
Hello! Good for you! We'll be excited to see your progress.
lilcamperpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
LiL Hauley

Welcome Ralph.

I had a hilo for a couple of years and sold it this spring. I got 15 MPG towing with my V6 Tacoma. I have a LiL Hauley on order which I will be outfitting myself. It is a LiL Snoozy with nothing inside. I have most of the parts sourced and have purchased the cassette toilet already. The hardest part is waiting for LiL Snoozy to build the shell and mount it on the trailer. I plan on posting progress reports on this forum when I get going. Hopefully you will be doing the same. I am quite interested.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #4

Name: Ralph
Trailer: DIY
Arkansas
Yes I will post pics and progress notes. What type of lifting system did your hi-lo use
bill91194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Hilo lift system

It was a standard Hilo lift system, consisting of a 12 volt hydraulic pump located in the front of the trailer and a hydraulic cylinder, mounted left to right under the trailer. There are 4 cables that connect to the drivers side frame under the trailer which are routed thru 4 pulleys connected to the end of the hydraulic cylinder. The cables are then routed to pulleys at the four lift points, up to the top of the lower section thru another pulley and down to the bottom of the upper section. The cylinder is connected to provide a 1 to 2 mechanical advantage. In other words the cylinder moves 1 foot and the cables move 2 feet. There is also a metal safety rod that drops down when the hydraulic cylinder is fully extend to prevent the cylinder from slowly retracting and the top from slowly lowering. The hydraulic motor is operated by a switch just inside the entry door. To lower the top you have to first lift it a little to take pressure of the safety rod, pull a cable to hold the safety rod up then press the lower button.

I am sure there are some mechanical schematics available on web which would provide a visual description.

Hope this helps.