Echo Brake Controller - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #1

Name: Marianne
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Echo Brake Controller

Hi I'm new to the community. We ordered a 2020 Casita 17' Liberty. I understand we need Electronic trailer brakes. Our new Chevy Colorado has the towing package but, a brake controller is not included in the package (seems like it should be). Does anyone have any experience with the Echo Brake Controller? It works with the bluetooth on an iPhone.
Missfoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Its been discussed before. In fact I saw some comments in the last few days.. See: https://www.google.com/search?q=echo...berglassrv.com

There are certainly some valid concerns and drawbacks with any "wireless" controller, especially the Echo which can be stolen in seconds.

But in some cases less modification to the tow vehicle might be preferred over the shortcomings of the controller.

But in your case I'll bet the truck is prewired for one, in that case get a Tekonsha P2 or P3, mount it and plug it in. Done.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #3

Name: Skip
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
I have it. I like it. Not worried about theft.
Flydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Mel
Trailer: aliner
Texas
I've had the Echo for about 18 months. I'm a EE and can share my feedback:
1. My previous wired brake controller was fine but I never used the override other that testing. I travel through mountains frequently, my previous Highlander weighed about 3800lbs and my loaded Aliner folding RV weighs 2500lbs.
2. The Echo kept me from mounting a brake controller in my new 2018 Highlander under an already-crowded dashboard, locating under-dash wires, fishing wires through firewall, and difficult installation.
3. The Echo calibration instructions are vague. I'm still not sure they're exactly right.
4. Echo uses the Aux+ and Ground return to power it. Test your Aux+ to see if it automatically turns off when TowV off to avoid battery drain. If it doesn't, unplug Echo during extended stops.
5. Even without BT connection, Echo indicates working with on-board blinking lights (hidden normally with 7-way cover). That's usually all I use unless I'm REALLY board.
6. If not well-plugged-in and well-secured, Echo can unplug and will be damaged by dragging. Avoid this by providing back-up support wire, string, chain, or wire tie. Mine is now slightly damaged but still works.

So far for me, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
I hope this helps.
MelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:41 AM   #5

Name: Megan
Trailer: Scamp
Kentucky
Love My Echo!

I've been using my Echo brake controller on my 2014 Subaru Outback for more than a year or so, which tows my 13 ft. Scamp. No difficulties at all and I simply remove it when I am not towing. I do agree that the calibrations are not explained well but the settings I have now seem great!
Megala M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Echo Brake Controller

I agree with Gordon. Odds are good that your truck is prewired for a controller. If so there is a port under the dash somewhere. You buy the controller and the connector that mates with the port. No wires to fish. eTrailer probably has instructions, including where to find the port on your vehicle.

Why bypass what the manufacturer has provided? Some new vehicles even have anti-sway software that works with the built-in trailer brake wiring.

If you’re having trouble finding a spot to mount a Tekonsha P2 or P3, the Hopkins Insight is another option.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote