Excited to get your input and information - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-18-2021, 05:57 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: currently shopping
ON - Ontario
Excited to get your input and information

Hello,

I have been looking into buying a fiberglass camper for the past year, little pieces of gold they are.. once you find one for sale they are gone like little hot cakes. I want something light and small 13ft is good enough for me. Im in ontario and was wondering if you had any ideas where i could find some better sites too look at? Kijiji and market place are all i know.

Thank you.
firsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:37 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Two primary places...
1. https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.com/
2. https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/

rvtrader gets some mostly dealer ads.

Then there is Craigslist, Facebook, eBay, etc.. but even more scams on these sites than numbers 1 and 2.. so buyer beware.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Welcome Jennifer,
I hope you can find your fiberglass "dream trailer," but unless you place an order for a new one from one of the companies who make them, (and waiting for several months to over a year depending on the brand,) the number of used fiberglass trailers on the market are rarer than hen's teeth. Yes, occasionally one will show up now and then, but they disappear as fast as they pop up. Even used, they command a high resale value price, unless it is a total rotted out basket case. You are sharing a competition with literally thousands of others also seeking their "fiberglass egg." They have become especially desirable since the onset of the pandemic, and people wanting something to do "recreationally" with current social distancing requirements, because people can go camping, either as individuals or as families, so they're especially "hot ticket" items right now. Good luck in finding your dream trailer.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #4

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
If you fancy a drive to BC. I have a nice little 13' Trillium that I am willing to let go. I have two. Only need one. Not listed it yet as I want to get it weighed. Waiting for the snow to clear. Figure end of the month.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
any camper used i have found always took a drive to get!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I will second that Martin P used f/glass trailers are in high high demand. at 79 i am toying with the idea of selling our 13f scamp! I can only imagine the riot that will insue! LOL
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #7

ON - Ontario
Thank you
Old 02-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #8

ON - Ontario
I wish that was a possibility for me, unfortunately i cant. But thank you so much for the offer.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #9

ON - Ontario
Thank you

Sorry im new to this forum, im not sure how to reply to each of you to say thank you, it all seems to appear on the forum. But i appreciate all your input.
Its very much appreciated.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:39 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
Hello,

I have been looking into buying a fiberglass camper for the past year, little pieces of gold they are.. once you find one for sale they are gone like little hot cakes. I want something light and small 13ft is good enough for me. Im in ontario and was wondering if you had any ideas where i could find some better sites too look at? Kijiji and market place are all i know.

Thank you.
Just remember if a deal sounds to good to be true it probably is. If it is from a regular member on this site you are most likely safe as these are usually good people. Just don't send cash, cards, etc ahead of your arrival. Make sure you take cash, take a cashier's check or the like to purchase from a private person. Make sure you get the title and it is a good one. Verify the ID number on the trailer if it has one. Don't go alone. Stay safe and have fun looking and owning. Even some places claim to be dealer's and aren't.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #11

ON - Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Just remember if a deal sounds to good to be true it probably is. If it is from a regular member on this site you are most likely safe as these are usually good people. Just don't send cash, cards, etc ahead of your arrival. Make sure you take cash, take a cashier's check or the like to purchase from a private person. Make sure you get the title and it is a good one. Verify the ID number on the trailer if it has one. Don't go alone. Stay safe and have fun looking and owning. Even some places claim to be dealer's and aren't.
Thank you!!!
Old 02-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #12

ON - Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Welcome Jennifer,
I hope you can find your fiberglass "dream trailer," but unless you place an order for a new one from one of the companies who make them, (and waiting for several months to over a year depending on the brand,) the number of used fiberglass trailers on the market are rarer than hen's teeth. Yes, occasionally one will show up now and then, but they disappear as fast as they pop up. Even used, they command a high resale value price, unless it is a total rotted out basket case. You are sharing a competition with literally thousands of others also seeking their "fiberglass egg." They have become especially desirable since the onset of the pandemic, and people wanting something to do "recreationally" with current social distancing requirements, because people can go camping, either as individuals or as families, so they're especially "hot ticket" items right now. Good luck in finding your dream trailer.

Yes they are very much in demand. Even more with the Pandemic like you said. Everyone is looking into things they can do that wont be restricted by covid. Thank you for your input I appreciate it.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:51 PM   #13

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
Sorry im new to this forum, im not sure how to reply to each of you to say thank you, it all seems to appear on the forum. But i appreciate all your input.
Its very much appreciated.

I know I come across as a complete idiot on the forum sometimes. Not knowing how to use the system.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #14

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
No idiots here, with the possible exception of me. I was in a similar state, looked at lots of ads, 99.999% scams (this on Craigslist). One day, saw an ad, and when I looked closely, it had a local phone # AND a low price! A local couple were selling their house and had bought a Condo. The Condo place wanted them to pay for having the camper parked there! So, they listed it for a price, I snagged it. Only problem it had was a damaged HW heater. A friend welded it up for me and now good to go. Mine is a 16' Scamp. I have been towing it with a vehicle which is not recommended (a 4 Cyl Ford Ranger, manual trans). Awaiting a higher horsepower TV, but the Ranger actually does well on flat roads. Not going to tackle mountains with the Ranger. Watch your weight, go with empty tanks for water, waste, etc.

I have really enjoyed my Scamp. Did a minor refit of everything, got things working well, my wife enjoys the attention it gets. I started out as a backpacker, my wife will NOT go hiking and said "Only way I will go camping is if you get a Camper!!" She is a "Glamper", she wanted me to get a new Airstream.......I told her that when I die and she gets the insurance check, she can buy one. She does like the Scamp, tho.

Right now, as others have said, these are high price wise. A Scamp 13' just went for $12,000 near me the other day. Clean, but basic. I snagged my Scamp for a third of that. Just keep looking, something may pop up. Good luck on your hunt. One note, unless you have a receipt for the tires, replace them as soon as you buy a camper. Old tires and trailers do not mix!

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You don’t need a receipt for tires. The date of manufacture is stamped in the sidewall as WWYY, week and year. Over 5 years is suspect. Over 8 years is trash.

Sometimes the date code is on the inner sidewall.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote