Family of 4 in a 13” Scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-12-2021, 03:21 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Family of 4 in a 13” Scamp

I’ve been a long-time lurker but neglected to introduce myself. My name is Rick and I hail from eastern PA. My family of 4 has taken our 2002 13” Scamp halfway across the country and back. My kids are too cramped in the bunks now, so the wife gets the Scamp while the kids and I tent camp. Maybe it’s time for an upgrade?
rickdob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:28 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tough spot, Rick. Are the kids too tall, too heavy for the upper bunk, or just don’t like the limited headroom? There are larger molded trailers, but the beds aren’t that much different in many cases.

Scamp’s 16' layout 7 sleeps four without using the upper bunk, but beds are still pretty narrow. A Casita 17’ Spirit standard offers the same layout with a larger dinette bed for the adults. The Escape 19 is pretty roomy and sleeps four without bunks (queen and double), but we’re talking a big investment. Any of these larger trailers might also require a tow vehicle upgrade.

Looking beyond molded fiberglass, there are conventional (non-molded) trailers with larger bunks, but again, a new tow vehicle might be required. A tent trailer gives the most sleeping space for the money and might avoid a tow vehicle upgrade. Look for a minimum 10’ box length to get larger pull-out beds.

If you decide to keep the Scamp, the tow vehicle can be an alternative to a tent for overflow sleeping. Our Pilot sleeps 1-2 with rear seats folded. Removing the top bunk in the Scamp makes the bottom bunk more usable for a larger person. Sleeping in opposite directions makes the dinette bed roomier for two.

One last thought… depending on how old the kids are, beware of making a long-term change to solve a short-term problem. Ours were 6 and 9 when we bought our Scamp. Now they’re 15 and 18. By the time the Scamp was starting to feel cramped, I realized we only had a few years left for family camping. Between sports and part-time jobs, we haven't been able to travel as much during the high school years (COVID was a factor, too). We’ll be down to three for our next Scamp trip.

Thinking further ahead, the Escape 19 also makes a nice empty-nest trailer, with room for grandkids down the line. Always good to take a long view with molded trailers!

Welcome out of the shadows, and best wishes, whatever you decide!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:32 AM   #3

Name: Niesje
Washington
We’re a young family of four looking at buying a Scamp. Let us know if you decide to sell :-)
NMaccini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Hello, Jon, thanks for the thorough response to my predicament! I will look into those options you suggested. My tow vehicle is getting old - it’s a 2008 Saab 9-7x, so at some point in the next 1-3 years I will need to get another used tow vehicle. We do like our 13” Scamp, but it does not have air conditioning, which limits us to evenings at less than 80 degrees and chops our camping season short. My kids and I can’t stand sleeping outdoors at those temps.

My wife and I already sleep head to feet to gain that extra bit of space. I hadn’t thought of removing the top bunk cushion and instead using my tow vehicle for 1-2 people.

We wholeheartedly want to be outdoors, but my wife struggles with tent camping, mainly due to sciatic pain when getting up from sleeping low to the ground and not having a comfortable place to sit. We only want a RV that allows us to live out of it as opposed to living in it. To us, it’s not fun to tow a ginormous travel trailer behind us. I’ve looked into R-pods and liked the layout of those. Seems like anything non-fiberglass just doesn’t have the longevity, though, but they come at a much cheaper price-point.

I have a 12 year old daughter and a 10 year old son, so we realistically have quite a few years before they’re out of the house, and something with AC would give us a longer camping season. I figured if I sold our Scamp at fiberglass prices I might not need that much more to get into something like a R-pod or similar small travel trailer.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
How old are your young ones? Ours were great in our Scamp until somewhat recently. We also don’t have AC in it. I wouldn’t mind trying to make something happen if I can find a larger replacement with AC.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:00 PM   #6

Name: Niesje
Washington
Rick,
My girls are 3 1/2 and 1 year old. We have always tent camped but we are running out of space with all the gear and two dogs in a Subaru. Honestly, your kiddos are probably old enough to sleep in a two-man tent outside the Scamp. That's what we did growing up. But if you are thinking of going bigger let me know. We are located in Washington State.
Good luck,
Niesje
NMaccini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:39 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree about “fiberglass prices.” If you decide to make the jump to a conventional trailer, now’s a great time to sell.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp