Fiberglass...YES! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 06:27 AM   #21

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
I know everybody favors what they own, it’s a natural thing I guess. But if your always going to be camping where you have electric and not doing the rugged thing, there is an EggCamper that just popped up in Michigan. It’s for sale on this site. The nice thing there is the WIDE hallway so you can actually walk around your dogs and not have to step over them! It’s all electric so you will need electric if being out for more than one night and running fridge or if you want heat. But it’s roomy! 17’. Very long bed too. Full time dinette. Bathroom. And it comes in right at 2000 lbs. Also is simple! I don’t want to open the propane debate but not having propane can be a nice......assuming you plug in.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:42 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
insulation

we have hit 18d in our scamp 18 or lower in our A-Liner 40mph winds ice snow out in western ks. the A-Liner created condensation our scamp 13 doesn't. since you are going to be in campgrounds to me insulation would not be a problem with whatever you buy. there are no drafts to contend with using a fiberglass travel trailer!

fire up your little el. heater and have at it! matter of fact you will be able to run 2 of them if you like!

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Someone on the Escape forum posted a pic yesterday of a cross-section of Escape's insulation. From FG hull through inside vinyl wall covering, it's almost exactly 1" thick with their 'extra insulation/thermal windows' option. They say R5 without that extra insulation, which is about 1/2' thick, so I'd guess maybe R10 with it. Keeping in mind that part of an effective R value is the ability to stop air infiltration, and the FG hull does help in comparison to a stick built trailer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Someone on the Escape forum posted a pic yesterday of a cross-section of Escape's insulation. From FG hull through inside vinyl wall covering, it's almost exactly 1" thick with their 'extra insulation/thermal windows' option. They say R5 without that extra insulation, which is about 1/2' thick, so I'd guess maybe R10 with it. Keeping in mind that part of an effective R value is the ability to stop air infiltration, and the FG hull does help in comparison to a stick built trailer.
That was a photo of mine of the piece I cut out. This extra 1/2" of insulation definitely helps keep the heat either in or out of the trailer, depending upon season. It deadens the sound a heck of a lot too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shell X-sect2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	117051
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #25

Name: Kim
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Registry
I have an Escape 15A for sale. Easy to tow and in great condition.
California Bay Area
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That was a photo of mine of the piece I cut out. This extra 1/2" of insulation definitely helps keep the heat either in or out of the trailer, depending upon season. It deadens the sound a heck of a lot too.
Thanks for the picture, Jim. I assume the extra 1/2" is the white stuff? And it is only included in the optional insulation package?

I can see that would make a significant difference.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Thanks for the picture, Jim. I assume the extra 1/2" is the white stuff? And it is only included in the optional insulation package?

I can see that would make a significant difference.

That is correct, Jon. The 3/8" black insulation with the vinyl liner is the standard insulation. I have always said that for me adding this insulation, along with dual glazed windows would always be the first option I would tick off when purchasing and Escape trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
That white layer has very large bubbles in it. The bubbles are creating what is working as a dead air space between the radiant foil layers but that layer is supporting the metalized radiant layers. You can't assign it an R Value by comparing it to the standard polystyrene types of foam insulation. It is not the same thing, it has a different structure.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote