Finally found (and got) my Scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Finally found (and got) my Scamp!

First, thank you! Thanks so much to this wonderful community here, for giving me the knowledge and confidence to find what I really needed.

I'm so excited to have finally found a 1991 16' Scamp on the east coast in great condition, and to be able to reach it in time to buy it from a wonderful fellow who I'm sure I will see again. I've already gotten a taste of the warm community that surrounds fiberglass RVs, and I'm glad to finally be a part of it.

And before you ask, yes, I towed it home with a 2005 Prius. It rides wonderfully, stays level, corners gently, and stops easily even without the electric brakes. After connecting the brake controller, it doesn't even feel like there's a trailer behind me when I stop for a red light. That's one of the reasons I wanted the 16' - electric brakes for extra stopping and breakaway safety.

Oh, and I get 21-25 mpg while towing it.

Now, I'm looking forward to making it my own. It needs an awning, I'm looking forward to adding 12V ports inside, solar panels, an LP/CO detector, maybe eventually drawers thanks to your great ideas here.
Attached Thumbnails
946642_10100729650666017_115831201_n.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Great Job and there are lots of people on the forum waiting for their chance to jump on a FG unit. Nice looking rig to boot.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #3

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Congratulations! Looks sharp! I agree love the way it handles! Still working to get mine road ready..think it will be this weekend! Happy Trails!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The safety posse will show up momentarily to guide you on your choice of tow vehicle.

My take is that you may be stretching the capabilities of this as a tow vehicle. You may want to research it further.

Nice looking trailer.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Congratulations! I'm excited for you. We're still hoping to find ours. They are very few in the South East. Found one yesterday, called and left a voice message only to find out it was just sold! Ours is still out there some where! LOL
Old 05-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
I went through three "attempts" before finding success with this one.
-One had the title and plates in someone else's name, and in the wrong state! Meanwhile they insisted on cash only. Right.
-One had almost everything broken. Nice guy, but with repairs would have reached $10k just to bring it to functional.
-One sounded amazing, and when we postponed the trip because of a big snow-storm, he promised he'd give me 24 hours to get down there before selling to anyone else. He didn't.

This one is in great shape, from a nice fellow only 3 hours away, and has all the options I wanted, including a legal title. Whew!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
JBB

South Carolina
The one we found was several states away, and I'm sure it probably was bought by someone locally. We'll just continue our daily search. I know one will eventually come our way!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Regarding safety: I can honestly say that I, and the fellow selling it to me, were both surprised by how well it all handled. Tests with NO trailer brakes used:

-Pulled it up a loading dock ramp
-Got up to 10-15mph on GRAVEL and stopped within a two car lengths with no swerving, using NO trailer brakes.
-Pulled it around corners at 25mph+ with no skidding.
-Pulled it down into the Lehigh Valley with no braking issues (the energy got captured into the battery anyway, so brakes weren't overheating)
-Pulled it up from the Lehigh Valley to the PA Turnpike entrance, which is a long (30+ mins of uphill driving) and high grade.

The fellow who used to pull the scamp with his heavy truck remarked that it pulled more smoothly on my Prius than his truck. We were guessing it was because the rear of his truck was lighter, and my car has the batteries in the back.

With the electric brakes, it really is pleasant to drive and stop.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #9

Pennsylvania
That's how I felt for four months! I wasn't ready to give up, but it's a challenge! Keep up hope!

My best suggestion is to keep a running search on Craigslist. It takes a couple of days for it to appear on the fiberglass RV websites. I don't think mine ever got to Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale I had to move that quickly!

The tool I used is a very old Android app called Craigsnotifica, which is no longer published. I can see about sending the .APK if it'll help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
The one we found was several states away, and I'm sure it probably was bought by someone locally. We'll just continue our daily search. I know one will eventually come our way!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
JBB

South Carolina
My morning routine usually is check email then go online to Fiberglass RV, Molded Fiberglass RV's for sale, and National Craigslist for For Scamp trailers for sale. Since I still work PT as a RN, and if I'm working that day, I'll check those sites during my lunch on my phone. Not giving up!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Philly View Post
First, thank you! Thanks so much to this wonderful community here, for giving me the knowledge and confidence to find what I really needed.

I'm so excited to have finally found a 1991 16' Scamp on the east coast in great condition, and to be able to reach it in time to buy it from a wonderful fellow who I'm sure I will see again. I've already gotten a taste of the warm community that surrounds fiberglass RVs, and I'm glad to finally be a part of it.

And before you ask, yes, I towed it home with a 2005 Prius. It rides wonderfully, stays level, corners gently, and stops easily even without the electric brakes. After connecting the brake controller, it doesn't even feel like there's a trailer behind me when I stop for a red light. That's one of the reasons I wanted the 16' - electric brakes for extra stopping and breakaway safety.

Oh, and I get 21-25 mpg while towing it.

Now, I'm looking forward to making it my own. It needs an awning, I'm looking forward to adding 12V ports inside, solar panels, an LP/CO detector, maybe eventually drawers thanks to your great ideas here.
Ken, your rig looks great and I can relate to your very positive towing experience. We are in the same boat as our car is slightly heavier than your Prius and the towing ride is as you say..... wonderful. Keep us in the loop as you put some more miles on the rig.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey, the welcome mat got out before I knew it!

to FiberglassRV Ken, wer're glad you're here

Thanks for posting the pictures, nice looking combo.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
The safety posse will show up momentarily to guide you on your choice of tow vehicle.
I think this may be under-the-radar since the tow vehicle is not mentioned in the thread title. I won't tell if you don't...
Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #14

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
Hi Jan...here is one in Warner Robbins Georgia

13 ft Scamp Travel Trailer
Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
JBB

South Carolina
Referral

Thanks for the referral link Pageleigh! We're really looking for a 16' instead of a 13'. It will happen. I just need to be patient!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Maybe this will help in your search, ignore the JUNK in the title :

Search All Junk - Ever wanted to search multiple classifieds sites at once?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
JBB

South Carolina
I'll look into that Donna! I appreciate the link.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #18

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Nice!

WOW! Really nice looking combo! White on white, classic.

Keep us posted with pictures of your travels...voyeurs all we are. Especially those living vicariously right now.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #19

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
There is a 16 ft. Scamp for sale on the St. George, UT Craigslist.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #20

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
Wow Donna! What a great time saver! Thanks for the info.

Emily
Closed Thread

Tags
scamp