Finally found our Scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #1

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
Finally found our Scamp!

Hi all! I have already posted a few times about our search for an egg, and some concerns about towing with 16 foot kayaks. I am happy to say, we bought a 2011 Scamp 13 yesterday, right here in CT!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2557.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	69349
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2564.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	69350

We are avid campers, kayakers, hikers, and general outdoors people. I have a bad back and am soooo looking forward to camping without having to crawl around in a tent! I will check out the upcoming egg rallies and see if we can make it to any. We have a lot to learn, this is our first time towing anything. I am so glad you all are here, you are such a great resource for us newbies!

The previous owner, Mark, asked them to make his Scamp without the logos. We are thinking of things to pep up the exterior and make it our own. But he took very good care of it and came up with lots of clever mods for storing things. He may have picked up some of them here, I know he spent some time at this site and learned a few things at an egg rally.

I will post more detail in the mods forum.

Now, we are on to searching for the right tow vehicle. Probably a Rav4 or maybe a Highlander.

Anyway, looking forward to running into some of you out there, and in here!
VicCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Congratulations. I know you'll love your Scamp 13'.... we did our last two.
Have fun making it your own style, and don't hesitate to ask any questions to help you figure out how to get the most out of your new home on wheels.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you are considering the RAV4, it will have to be 2012 or older.
In 2013 the tow rating went from 3,500 lb ( for the V6 with tow package ) to 1,500 lb.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Congratulations Vickie.
Lots more memories down the road.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Congrats!!

You are going to have a lot of fun with that Scamp.

Looks great in the photos.

Google egg or chicken decals/stickers and you can find some fun things to stick on the outside or inside.

here are a couple of sites:

http://www.cafepress.com/+egg+bumper-stickers

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Chicken-and-Egg-Vinyl-Wall-Decal-Art/8786095/product.html?cid=209797&fp=F&TRACK=CSEShopzilla&mr :referralID=6c28bcdb-b877-11e3-87fe-001b2166c2c0
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #6

Connecticut
Hi David,
Yes, we love it already! I wish we could keep it on our property so we could visit it more.

Glenn, I know they changed the tow capacity (what's up with that?!), but I am buying used anyway. I might actually go for an '08 or '09, simply because I am not sure I will love the RAV and don't want to invest in a more expensive, newer one. Plus, there are two options I really, really want: satellite radio (have it now and can't drive without it) and heated seats (after this winter in New England, that's a deal breaker for me). These options are really hard to find in a 2010-2012 RAV around here, but are more readily available in the 2008-09 vintage, for some reason.

Can I ask how your '08 is holding up? Would you pay, say, $12-14k for a used one of that vintage, seeing as you are in a position to know? :-)
Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Vicki. I know you'll love your new Scamp.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicCT View Post
Can I ask how your '08 is holding up? Would you pay, say, $12-14k for a used one of that vintage, seeing as you are in a position to know? :-)
Mine is holding up just fine, but I only have 63,000 kilometers on it ( 39,000 miles ) and it's had every service at the Toyota dealership, on time. Could wash it once in a while.
If I were selling, I would expect considerably more than twelve grand, but this is Canada and it was $36,000 new. I'm not really in a position to know what you should expect to pay.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Just finished reading your previous thread. We towed many miles using our Honda Ody. We got the 6 cyl Toyota Rav4 before it was discontinued.

For traveling with the trailer I much prefer the space I had with the Ody. Our trailer is not as high as yours. The Ody made a great wind block for our trailer.

My husband actually feels the Rav4 has a bit more guts, but I don't think the mpg with the RAV4 is what I hoped for.

Towing I would prefer the Ody. Driving around town the RAV4 is so much fun, love that turning radius.

Our old Ody always gave us an average mpg of 17.5 on our 3-5,000 mile trips.

We seem to have only had horrible wind so far towing with the RAV4.

BTW, have your trailer weighed. I will bet you a large sum of money that it is over 1500 lbs.

Nancy
Nancy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Just noticed dual propane tanks. We have never emptied one much less two!

Your tongue weight will be 200 or more. I have wondered how much our tongue weight would drop by just taking our one off. Never bothered.

We have one of the most stripped down 13's out there and our tongue weight is 200.

Have lots of fun with your new trailer.

Nancy
Nancy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #11

Connecticut
Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone. John, those are great sites. Spent a night looking at decals when I should have been looking up info on batteries. :-)

Nancy, I am sure you are right about the trailer and tongue weight. I shouldn't have to worry as I have lots of wiggle room with the RAV's 3500/350 max. I am not sure yet how much propane we will use, but we will be cooking outside a lot so I might have one set up for the outdoor stove.

I did purchase a 2008 v6 RAV, which I am picking up Saturday. Have to get the hitch, bike rack, kayak rack, ca-ching, ca-ching! Lots of research going on here.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
The search is part of the fun.................................
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Congratulations on your "new to you" Scamp! Ours is a 2011 also, purchased new. Have you considered towing with a Subaru? Ours is a Legacy sedan. (see avatar) I think my next tow vehicle will be an Outback or Outback because they have a higher clearance and look more outdoorsy. When we purchased the 2008 Legacy we had no idea that we would every own a trailer! We've been extremely happy with the choice of a Subaru as have many other FGRV owners. Check out the "Search" button to find many threads devoted to tow vehicles.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Congrats on the new trailer and RAV4! Should work out to be a good combo.

As someone else mentioned two 20lb propane tanks is a lot of weight on the tongue and one or two folks have mentioned here in the past that RAV4's do tend to squat a little in the rear. Personally have gotten by with only one tank of propane a number of times for more than week of camping - running the fridge full-time, stove, hot water tank & furnace as needed on propane.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #15

Connecticut
Thanks Carl!

Gilda, I test drove a Forester and liked it a lot. However, I was concerned that the 200# tongue weight would limit us too much. The RAV with the v6 has a 350# limit. We might want to have a bike rack welded to the hitch (we would remove a propane tank if we did this), so we wanted extra tongue weight.

Carol, I read about the RAV's rear sag issues. My tv and I will have something in common! ;-) If I find it to be a problem I will purchase a weight distribution hitch, which RAV owners have had good success with. We could remove a propane tank if necessary, but if we can keep it I would like to have a separate tank for outdoor cooking, since we will be doing most of our cooking outdoors. No more need to carry the little green tanks.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #16

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
What a little beauty! Congratulations!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicCT View Post
We could remove a propane tank if necessary, but if we can keep it I would like to have a separate tank for outdoor cooking, since we will be doing most of our cooking outdoors. No more need to carry the little green tanks.
I purchased a propane tank holder that you can strap a half size tank into for using with the outdoor stove & BQ as well as my propane fire pit (outdoor fire bans are common in my neck of the woods in summer). Found its handy to be able to move the tank to where I needed rather than tapping into the tank on the tongue (which I tried for a while to do). I actually carry mine on the floor in the trailer - its never moved an inch. Might be a cheaper option than a WD hitch ;-)

Have fun with the new trailer and tug!
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #18

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Hi, I have a Scamp 16' and I tow it with a V6 Rav4. I get 20 on the Rav without the trailer and 18 with it. I use a weight distributing hitch and have no noticeable squat on the rear of the Rav4
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 AM   #19

Pix of RAV4 V6 without and with weight distribution hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
NO WDH1.jpg   With WDH1.jpg  

No WDH2.jpg   With WDH2.jpg  

Old 04-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Like Carol, we have a 10 pound (I think) propane tank that we carry separately. I've never seen the holder, Carol. Where can we get one? Here's the description on Amazon of the 10#er. Amazon.com: Worthington 281149 1-Gallon Steel Propane Cylinder With Type 1 With Overflow Prevention Device Valve: Patio, Lawn & Garden

We have two large tanks on our little Scamp and have never emptied one let alone two. I'm thinking of removing one tank. In order for the weight to be distributed correctly I think we need a welder person to do the job. Does anyone have experience/expertise in this area?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp