Hi, I am a long-time lurker, even before I joined in 2008. I thought it was about time that I actually introduced myself.
My husband, kids and I are the proud owners of a 1978 Trillium
The trailer was my husband's grandma's, who was the original owner.
She gave us the trailer in 2007, but it had been sitting un-used for a long time before that.
At first we did a few cosmetic fix-ups. All the cushions went, except the front top bunk and we threw out the old tattered floor carpet and put down some peel and stick tiles.
In 2008 we took it on a week long vacation where we found out that it leaked.
We did some temporary fixes, but knew we'd be spending time and money to get it fixed.
In the fall
of 2009 my brother lived in my trailer, in my driveway for two months. The furnace
and converter didn't work when we got the trailer, but we never had a need for heat before. So my brother used a space heater on the cold October nights, well until it blew something in the trailer. With the cold air outside and his warm breath inside, there was lots of condensation, which lead to mold. I ended up having to through out all but one of the cushions.
Interestinly enough, the only cushion that was spared was the one original cushion we kept. I think it's because I had covered it in outdoor fabric and vinyl instead of indoor fabric.
2010 I decided it was time to do something about it. I took off the belly band, tore out the ensolite and took out the windows
. The plan was to get it done that summer. However, nothing usually goes as planned and my husband had more work than normal so it didn't get done. LOL My poor neighbours had to see it sitting with a tarp over it for nearly a year (no garage).
2011 my husband and I pulled out as many of the metal pieces as we could from the belly band and I fiberglassed the whole thing. I still have to go over it once more, but then it will be done.
We took off the vent, awning
attatchment and a light
that went through the ceiling of back bed. We're almost done putting them back in. We still have a few things left to go.
We never would have found all the leaks
if we hadn't of tore out all that ensolite. We had leaks
from the windows
, the vent and even the awning
Since cost is a factor, we're trying to just do a little at a time and as cheap as we can, but do it right. Hopefully we can get it done before the kids outgrow it. We have 3 kids and the middle and youngest sleep on the bottom bunk together. I don't even know if they'll fit this year as they are 6 and 9. LOL I still have to figure out what we're using for the insulation. I've looked into marine products, closed cell foam underlayment and a really considering children foam play mats since they are on sale for less than 50 cents a square foot. I have grandiose ideas for the covering of the insulation, but what actually gets put in there is anyone's guess.
I have a lot of my fabric already that I picked up for $5 a bolt. It is outdoor fabrics and vinyl so they should hold up. They have dictated the colourscheme. I plan on putting in a cork floor since we had some leftover from our kitchen redo. Ideally I would like to paint
all the finished fiberglass inside the trailer since we did quite a bit of patching, but not sure it will get done this year. We also need to do some electrical
rewiring (my husband's area), install new lights
, new or renewed cupboard doors and paint
the exterior. As you can see a lot of work.
Without this forum I don't know where I'd be. I have found so much wonderful information here. So thank you to all of you with the fantastic ideas.