First camper and it's a 99 Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 06:53 PM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Burro
United States
First camper and it's a 99 Burro

My wife and I had been discussing getting a camper in the next year or two, and we got offered this Burro 17' in trade for an older pickup we had for sale. Some details were worked out, and now we have a camper/project. The a/c had been removed and the hole boarded up and siliconed around. Needs some love, but with some elbow grease and hopefully some wisdom from this forum we'll have a functional classic.

andy_burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #2

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
A trailer and a story - great! Post some before pictures when you can. Will you name it?
Old 11-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #3

United States
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=burro.jpg Views: 20 Size: 258.8 KB ID: 132047" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	burro_roof.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	132048

Name:	burro2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	132049
Old 11-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #4

United States
Google's giving me a hard time sharing photos, so I've tried to attach a few and include a few from an online album

https://photos.app.goo.gl/e4xk6kTo6KrkGCto9

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191020_152538.jpg   IMG_20191020_141123.jpg  

Old 11-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #5

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
First, congrats.

Second, FYI, silicone and fiberglass is not good. If you plan to patch, silicone prevents getting a good bond to the existing fiberglass. If you use that hole, there are better sealants for fiberglass. You can look here at previous posts and boating websites for info on fiberglass work.

Good luck. Looks like you got a good looking trailer.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #6

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
congrats & welcome to the club! you'll have alot of fun with this
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #7

United States
Thank you. I have already sourced a used A/C, so when I get a nice dry day, I'm going to remove that wood and sealant and install the A/C with a fresh gasket. Then we'll get started on figuring out bedding. The original cushions were wet and moldy.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I don't know where you are located, or where you plan to go, but you might be happier with a Maxx Fan in that rooftop location, than with an AC. The AC can only be used while plugged in, or with a generator of sufficient capacity, they are heavy and they are noisy. Of course, if you are in the South in the summer, you'll appreciate it, but I never use mine.

A Maxx Fan lets light in, does an excellent job of ventilating, is very quiet and uses very little power. They run just fine off your batteries.

It may be a distorted picture, but it looks like the roof is already bowed down from the weight of an AC.

I really like the size of that Burro and the flat door. Keep the pictures coming!
Old 11-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #9

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_burro View Post
Thank you. I have already sourced a used A/C, so when I get a nice dry day, I'm going to remove that wood and sealant and install the A/C with a fresh gasket. Then we'll get started on figuring out bedding. The original cushions were wet and moldy.
I have a complete set of cushions for an EggCamper (PO replaced U shaped seating with queen memory foam). Pics on another thread and I'll share link if interested.

Only asking shipping charges. Estimated at $175.00 but if I use vacuum seal bags and can compress them to smaller box it would be less.

We are in North FL - if travels take you this way that may be most bang for the buck (pick them up vs. shipping).

Sending via cargo on Southwest has potential if you live near an airport they fly to.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #10

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I don't know where you are located, or where you plan to go, but you might be happier with a Maxx Fan in that rooftop location, than with an AC. The AC can only be used while plugged in, or with a generator of sufficient capacity, they are heavy and they are noisy. Of course, if you are in the South in the summer, you'll appreciate it, but I never use mine.

A Maxx Fan lets light in, does an excellent job of ventilating, is very quiet and uses very little power. They run just fine off your batteries.

It may be a distorted picture, but it looks like the roof is already bowed down from the weight of an AC.

I really like the size of that Burro and the flat door. Keep the pictures coming!
I considered picking up a Maxx fan, but we live in Arkansas. The summers here are brutal. We'll plan our summer trips around camp grounds with hookups. There is a vent fan in the front of the camper that should be fine for moderate temps though. The sagging on the roof looks like it came from a little water damage to the wood after the A/C was removed. If things getting iffy during installation, I'll rethink putting that weight up there.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_burro View Post
I considered picking up a Maxx fan, but we live in Arkansas. The summers here are brutal. We'll plan our summer trips around camp grounds with hookups. There is a vent fan in the front of the camper that should be fine for moderate temps though. The sagging on the roof looks like it came from a little water damage to the wood after the A/C was removed. If things getting iffy during installation, I'll rethink putting that weight up there.
I was looking for a longer Burro (Our first fiberglass camper was a 13' Burro.) when we found our longer Uhaul. We did add AC to our shorter Burro through a portable unit put through the fiberglass on the back with engineering to support it on the bumper that also held the license plate. The longer Haul was built for AC, so we added AC to the roof of our longer Uhaul (looks like a skinny version of your Burro). Now, we have the longest fiberglass camper, the Bigfoot Silver Cloud.

With all our campers, we enjoyed the AC. We found campsites that were equipped for electric and water, and now with our Silver Cloud, even sewer if we can.

We usually camp in KOAs but do camp with only electrical hookups. Yes, we pay more, but we enjoy the AC and the other amenities.

It sounds like you want the kind of situation we have, a camper that is kind of a hotel room on wheels.

Enjoy.

CindyL
Old 11-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #12

United States
I took a chance on a used A/C unit I found on Facebook last weekend. I ordered the ADB for it from Amazon this week, and all the stars aligned this weekend. I backed my truck up next to the camper, and my wife and I were able to set it on top. I shimmed the sagging areas enough to get a good seal, and voila: we have working air! Just in time or colder temps outside...

Old 11-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #13

United States
It's not letting me post pics for some reason...
Old 11-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #14

United States
attached
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191102_133550.jpg   IMG_20191102_135257.jpg  

Old 11-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #15

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I was looking for a longer Burro (Our first fiberglass camper was a 13' Burro.) when we found our longer Uhaul. We did add AC to our shorter Burro through a portable unit put through the fiberglass on the back with engineering to support it on the bumper that also held the license plate. The longer Haul was built for AC, so we added AC to the roof of our longer Uhaul (looks like a skinny version of your Burro). Now, we have the longest fiberglass camper, the Bigfoot Silver Cloud.

With all our campers, we enjoyed the AC. We found campsites that were equipped for electric and water, and now with our Silver Cloud, even sewer if we can.

We usually camp in KOAs but do camp with only electrical hookups. Yes, we pay more, but we enjoy the AC and the other amenities.

It sounds like you want the kind of situation we have, a camper that is kind of a hotel room on wheels.

Enjoy.

CindyL

I grew up camping in popup campers with my parents in KOA and other well equipped campgrounds, and I really enjoyed it. When I was single, I didn't mind tent camping in primitive sites, but for the last few years we have been doing VRBO and AirBnB stays in the summers. I'm hoping the cost difference will allow us to get out a lot more. We also travel with two blue heelers, and not having to pay a pet deposit is a big positive.

Tags
burro