First camper and it's a 99 Burro - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-31-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Burro
United States
Posts: 9
First camper and it's a 99 Burro

My wife and I had been discussing getting a camper in the next year or two, and we got offered this Burro 17' in trade for an older pickup we had for sale. Some details were worked out, and now we have a camper/project. The a/c had been removed and the hole boarded up and siliconed around. Needs some love, but with some elbow grease and hopefully some wisdom from this forum we'll have a functional classic.



__________________

andy_burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Posts: 139
Registry
A trailer and a story - great! Post some before pictures when you can. Will you name it?
__________________

__________________
The Egg-centric Argonauts are sailing soon...
SandyNorthFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Burro
United States
Posts: 9
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=burro.jpg Views: 19 Size: 258.8 KB ID: 132047" style="margin: 2px" />

Click image for larger version

Name:	burro_roof.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	132048

Click image for larger version

Name:	burro2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	132049
andy_burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Burro
United States
Posts: 9
Google's giving me a hard time sharing photos, so I've tried to attach a few and include a few from an online album

https://photos.app.goo.gl/e4xk6kTo6KrkGCto9

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191020_152538.jpg   IMG_20191020_141123.jpg  

andy_burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Daniel
Trailer: '82 Burro 13'
Northern VA
Posts: 259
First, congrats.

Second, FYI, silicone and fiberglass is not good. If you plan to patch, silicone prevents getting a good bond to the existing fiberglass. If you use that hole, there are better sealants for fiberglass. You can look here at previous posts and boating websites for info on fiberglass work.

Good luck. Looks like you got a good looking trailer.
__________________
1982 13' Burro
Burro Renovation
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Posts: 169
congrats & welcome to the club! you'll have alot of fun with this
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Burro
United States
Posts: 9
Thank you. I have already sourced a used A/C, so when I get a nice dry day, I'm going to remove that wood and sealant and install the A/C with a fresh gasket. Then we'll get started on figuring out bedding. The original cushions were wet and moldy.
andy_burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19 on order
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 1,822
I don't know where you are located, or where you plan to go, but you might be happier with a Maxx Fan in that rooftop location, than with an AC. The AC can only be used while plugged in, or with a generator of sufficient capacity, they are heavy and they are noisy. Of course, if you are in the South in the summer, you'll appreciate it, but I never use mine.

A Maxx Fan lets light in, does an excellent job of ventilating, is very quiet and uses very little power. They run just fine off your batteries.

It may be a distorted picture, but it looks like the roof is already bowed down from the weight of an AC.

I really like the size of that Burro and the flat door. Keep the pictures coming!
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Posts: 139
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_burro View Post
Thank you. I have already sourced a used A/C, so when I get a nice dry day, I'm going to remove that wood and sealant and install the A/C with a fresh gasket. Then we'll get started on figuring out bedding. The original cushions were wet and moldy.
I have a complete set of cushions for an EggCamper (PO replaced U shaped seating with queen memory foam). Pics on another thread and I'll share link if interested.

Only asking shipping charges. Estimated at $175.00 but if I use vacuum seal bags and can compress them to smaller box it would be less.

We are in North FL - if travels take you this way that may be most bang for the buck (pick them up vs. shipping).

Sending via cargo on Southwest has potential if you live near an airport they fly to.
__________________
The Egg-centric Argonauts are sailing soon...
SandyNorthFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Burro
United States
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I don't know where you are located, or where you plan to go, but you might be happier with a Maxx Fan in that rooftop location, than with an AC. The AC can only be used while plugged in, or with a generator of sufficient capacity, they are heavy and they are noisy. Of course, if you are in the South in the summer, you'll appreciate it, but I never use mine.

A Maxx Fan lets light in, does an excellent job of ventilating, is very quiet and uses very little power. They run just fine off your batteries.

It may be a distorted picture, but it looks like the roof is already bowed down from the weight of an AC.

I really like the size of that Burro and the flat door. Keep the pictures coming!
I considered picking up a Maxx fan, but we live in Arkansas. The summers here are brutal. We'll plan our summer trips around camp grounds with hookups. There is a vent fan in the front of the camper that should be fine for moderate temps though. The sagging on the roof looks like it came from a little water damage to the wood after the A/C was removed. If things getting iffy during installation, I'll rethink putting that weight up there.
andy_burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
CindyL's Avatar
 
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Posts: 2,694
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_burro View Post
I considered picking up a Maxx fan, but we live in Arkansas. The summers here are brutal. We'll plan our summer trips around camp grounds with hookups. There is a vent fan in the front of the camper that should be fine for moderate temps though. The sagging on the roof looks like it came from a little water damage to the wood after the A/C was removed. If things getting iffy during installation, I'll rethink putting that weight up there.
I was looking for a longer Burro (Our first fiberglass camper was a 13' Burro.) when we found our longer Uhaul. We did add AC to our shorter Burro through a portable unit put through the fiberglass on the back with engineering to support it on the bumper that also held the license plate. The longer Haul was built for AC, so we added AC to the roof of our longer Uhaul (looks like a skinny version of your Burro). Now, we have the longest fiberglass camper, the Bigfoot Silver Cloud.

With all our campers, we enjoyed the AC. We found campsites that were equipped for electric and water, and now with our Silver Cloud, even sewer if we can.

We usually camp in KOAs but do camp with only electrical hookups. Yes, we pay more, but we enjoy the AC and the other amenities.

It sounds like you want the kind of situation we have, a camper that is kind of a hotel room on wheels.

Enjoy.

CindyL
__________________
1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud, "The Egg Carton"
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Burro
United States
Posts: 9
I took a chance on a used A/C unit I found on Facebook last weekend. I ordered the ADB for it from Amazon this week, and all the stars aligned this weekend. I backed my truck up next to the camper, and my wife and I were able to set it on top. I shimmed the sagging areas enough to get a good seal, and voila: we have working air! Just in time or colder temps outside...








andy_burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Burro
United States
Posts: 9
It's not letting me post pics for some reason...
andy_burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Burro
United States
Posts: 9
attached
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191102_133550.jpg   IMG_20191102_135257.jpg  

andy_burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Burro
United States
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I was looking for a longer Burro (Our first fiberglass camper was a 13' Burro.) when we found our longer Uhaul. We did add AC to our shorter Burro through a portable unit put through the fiberglass on the back with engineering to support it on the bumper that also held the license plate. The longer Haul was built for AC, so we added AC to the roof of our longer Uhaul (looks like a skinny version of your Burro). Now, we have the longest fiberglass camper, the Bigfoot Silver Cloud.

With all our campers, we enjoyed the AC. We found campsites that were equipped for electric and water, and now with our Silver Cloud, even sewer if we can.

We usually camp in KOAs but do camp with only electrical hookups. Yes, we pay more, but we enjoy the AC and the other amenities.

It sounds like you want the kind of situation we have, a camper that is kind of a hotel room on wheels.

Enjoy.

CindyL

I grew up camping in popup campers with my parents in KOA and other well equipped campgrounds, and I really enjoyed it. When I was single, I didn't mind tent camping in primitive sites, but for the last few years we have been doing VRBO and AirBnB stays in the summers. I'm hoping the cost difference will allow us to get out a lot more. We also travel with two blue heelers, and not having to pay a pet deposit is a big positive.
__________________

andy_burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
burro


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Scamp First Camper stevea Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 25 09-25-2016 10:58 AM
First Burro, first post, first question :) Can i lie on the roof to do vent work? Colleen Rae Hi, I am.... 13 03-30-2015 08:38 PM
first-come, first-served state park campgrounds jen b Camping, Campout Reports 9 07-04-2012 02:47 PM
My first mod to our new Egg Camper rgrugg Modifications, Alterations and Updates 6 05-30-2011 02:44 PM
First night! (and first day on the road.) Bobbie Mayer General Chat 11 08-21-2007 08:18 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×