First time - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
First time

Hello. I am new here. Just want to introduce myself. My wife and I are just about ready to purchase a new Casita 17 Dlx, probably a Spirit but possibly a Freedom. Just looked at a Freedom for the first time through the company visitation program. The owner was a very friendly and helpful individual, answered our questions before I could ask! I think the Spirit is somewhat more to our liking, although we have not been able to actually see one, because the dinette can be used as a bed But I do like the idea of a comfortable chair to sit in after a day of hiking...

We intend to only stay in an RV park if we have to, and prefer to primitive camp, having spent years backpacking and camping with the Cub Scouts then Boy Scouts.

t I intend to order a mattress from Southern Mattress and soon thereafter a portable composting toilet; an Air head, C head or Nature's Head, not sure which. I expect to take out the standard toilet and put this one in it's place.

I probably will get an Anderson hitch and will have installed an electronic brake controller prior to picking the unit up at Rice, TX and towing it home to Nashville, TN,

I have never towed anything this big but I don't think I will have any problems. I do have a 5x8 utility trailer that I have overloaded and lost a couple of times, so I am at least aware of how it should be loaded and what to expect.

My TV is a 2011 Tundra Dbl cab, 5.7 L 4x4 with the tow package.

Thank you for this forum and for allowing me to participate.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Welcome Aboard Henry!

If your going to be ordering a brand new one, just have them not install the toilet...save a few dollars and one less thing hanging under your trailer. I have a porta pottie, I might 1 day adda composting toilet as well. Im familiar with the airhead, almost installed one on the sailboat I was living on... it saves on paying for a pumpout lol.

best of luck to you folks

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I like the idea of a composting toilet but I wonder if the capacity is such that it'll have to be emptied before compost can be expected from it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

New Jersey
Registry
Ive heard of people dumping the bin into a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the lid for a month or so till it finished composting.

I guess as a fulltimer your going to be useing it more then a weekender...single vs family. The poop issue is a problem in the marine world as well as the rv world. Never a perfect solution, but we keep trying till we find something that works for us.

but ya cant bucket and chuckit in a campground lol

deryk
Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Henry, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here

We're all waiting here to see what Casita Trailers is posting this next week. A brand new model!!

Good luck on your model decision, I'm sure you'll pick the perfect one for your use.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
If you ever think you may need a second bed for any reason you better stick with the Spirit but like Donna said Casita is coming out with a new upgraded model in a few days that you might want to look at first.
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #7

I too like the idea of a comfortable place to sit at the end of the day. So, IF you choose to go with the Freedom, I have some information bookmarked that shows how to change it out to more of an SD... another bed. It may be a bit cumbersome for constantly changing back and forth, but it's doable.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

Tennessee
Independence

I caught the new model being put out this week by Casita, the Independence. I am going to hold off purchasing until I see what that is all about.

Deryk, thank you for the idea of ordering a TT without a toilet, I did not know that could be done.

Rgrugg
I have no direct experience with the composting toilet but have been doing a bit of research on it. There is no smell, peat moss or sawdust is added each time, two people can use it about 2 to 3 weeks: Solid waste can be emptied into a garbage bag and thrown away in a dumpster (legally), or put in the compost bin at home. Liquid waste has to be emptied a bit sooner but the bottle detaches and can be flushed down a toilet, say at a gas station or dump station etc. They are a bit pricey.

I have been reading, here and in other forums and Amazon, about using an LP catalytic heater instead of a furnace. I am wondering if perhaps it would be better to not order a new Casita with the furnace instead and instead get an Olympian Wave 3.

If you were buying new unit, would you get a furnace or take a chance and rely on the Wave 3?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #9

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah Henry, if I bought mine new I would go for either a catalytic style, or preferably a vented marine unit that doesn't "need" the fan to run constantly and deplete your batteries if your boondocking without a generator or solar. DickinsonMarine.com - Propane Fireplaces disregard the prices, they retail for alot less.

deryk
Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #10

Tennessee
Freedon to SD

Donna D
Thank you for responding to my entry. I would very much like to see how to turn that area into a temporary sleeping berth. Drat, I thought I had this figured out....
Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #11

Henry, I have two. They're both on the CasitaForum. If you're not a member there, you'll need to register to view these threads. It's easy to register and it's free just like here. You'll see alot of the same members there as here too:

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...reedom-deluxe/ and

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...sd-conversion/

Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #12

Tennessee
Donna D
I have been trying to register at both the Casita Forum and the Casita Club but my computer messes up occasionally and I can't seem to get it done, I keep getting error messages. I will check it out when I am able to get on the other forum. I am really curious as to how you resolved that issue.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
S

Welcome, good luck with your future purchase!

Just my opinion, but as a Freedom owner I suggest a Spirit model for a couple of reasons. First off, the captains chairs are not comfortable! #2, the storage under the spirit dinette seats is wonderful.

Ok, then I have to question your desire to install a composting toilet. Are you planning on staying in one place for months/weeks at a time? Reason I ask is, from my knowledge of composting toilets I don't see one being the best option. Personally, draging a full, even a half a tank around while waiting for it to compost doesn't make sense. Unless composting toilets are different than the ones I have experience with I would think it wouldn't be the best option. Again, just my opinion but I would really think about installing one.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #14

See that's what it is about opinions... like belly button's everyone has one!

I think the Freedom chairs are very comfortable. As far as storage, no one says the chairs have to stay on posts bolted to the floor. There are several threads at the CasitaForum, where folks have built cabinets, similar to the SD, cut off the posts and mounted them to the lids of the cabinets for removal. Then you can make a single bed. Best of both worlds!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Henry, Casitas are really nice campers. Looking forward to pictures of your new purchase when you pick it up. Many people pick up from the factory and then take an extended camping vacation on the way home!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
See that's what it is about opinions... like belly button's everyone has one!

Yuppers!

I think the Freedom chairs are very comfortable. As far as storage, no one says the chairs have to stay on posts bolted to the floor. There are several threads at the CasitaForum, where folks have built cabinets, similar to the SD, cut off the posts and mounted them to the lids of the cabinets for removal. Then you can make a single bed. Best of both worlds!

That's certainly a great idea if you think those chairs are comfortable!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #17

Tennessee
Warm reception

Thank you again for the warm reception to this forum.

We looked at a Freedom. The sales person sent me pics of the new Independence and the new bathroom. We decided to go with a new Spirit Dlx in its current configuration, with a pick up date at Rice, TX in late March.

I decided...we decided...that is, my wife decided I had best listen to your good advice and we are buying a unit with a furnace and a flush toilet.

Apparently my idea of a catalytic heater and a compost toilet did not resonate well with my wife...guess next time I will discuss such things in a little more detail...ah well....the best laid plans of mice and men...

As I may have mentioned previously I have no experience whatsoever with towing a travel trailer, or anything as big as a Casita. I am assuming I will have to buy an Electronic Brake Control such as a Tekonsha 90195 P3 or some such and have it installed prior to pickup. I want to also have an Anderson WDH but probably don't really need it. Do I need anything else?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
If it were me, i would camp at or near a Mallwart or some such and figure out what I needed in the way of basic supplies, TP, toothpaste, soap, whatever. The scout out the forum for things that people carry aboard that you think you might need. People carry all manner of things _ tools, emergency repair kits, portable air compressors, battery power pack . . . the list goes on.
But the primary thing to do is kit it out the way YOU want it. And, of course, enjoy it.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote