Florida State Parks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #1

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
Florida State Parks

Hi,I am Bobby. Planning on heading to Florida shortly, but I have no campsite reservations. Any suggestions for affordable (cheap) campsites ? We really like State Parks but will there be any sites available in Florida for us if we just drive up?
We toured Arizona this time last year without any problem .
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would look on reserve america for the parks you are interested in and check availability. We are staying the winter on the coast of Georgia but considering a couple weeks in Florida for a little warmer weather. The state parks we want to get into show no sites available. Looks like we're staying put. I would not go without reservations, but others do and seem to make out OK.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If you don't need hookups, you probably can drop into Long Pine Key campground in the Everglades. That might be your best bet to get really far south this time of year.

In the FL panhandle, try St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. This one doesn't seem to be as crowded as many of the other state park CGs, and you should be able to get in pretty easily.

You can also look up spots on freecampsites.net . There are a few spots scattered around the state.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

Ontario
Thanks Bob,
That $8.00 reserve america fee for each reservation sits in my craw as well.
Bobby
Old 01-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Was just looking today at Long Point Campground (Brevard County Park) for next winter, while there I noticed there were a handful of sites available for this week. This place is normally full up to a year in advance but they get a number of last minute cancellations. It's always worth a call when you get into an area checking to see if anything opened up.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #6

Ontario
Bob,
Thanks for the heads up for long point. I will check into that.
Bobby
Old 01-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Rocky Bayou SP, Niceville, FL

I am currently a 'Camp Host' at Rocky Bayou. This past weekend we had 3 vacant sites [out of 42] but a lot will be moving out tomorrow. $16.00 +tax per day. It is a little off the beaten path but quiet, clean, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, hiking. No Wifi, for this I drive out to MacDs. Shopping etc. within a 10 minute drive.
850 - 833 - 9144 is the 'phone number. C'mon down!
Scouter Dave.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Also keep in mind that Reserve America doesn't necessarily get all of the sites for a specific campground into their system. At some venues the number of on-line reservable sites is as low as 33%. Call and ask about first come/first served sites before giving up upon a specific venue.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
I am currently a 'Camp Host' at Rocky Bayou. This past weekend we had 3 vacant sites [out of 42] but a lot will be moving out tomorrow. $16.00 +tax per day. It is a little off the beaten path but quiet, clean, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, hiking. No Wifi, for this I drive out to MacDs. Shopping etc. within a 10 minute drive.
850 - 833 - 9144 is the 'phone number. C'mon down!
Scouter Dave.
Dave ,
Thanks for the good information.
Bobby
Old 01-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #10

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Also keep in mind that Reserve America doesn't necessarily get all of the sites for a specific campground into their system. At some venues the number of on-line reservable sites is as low as 33%. Call and ask about first come/first served sites before giving up upon a specific venue.
Thats good to know.When we camped at Catalina State Park near Tucson
last February it was full but they always had room for anyone who arrived without a reservation in the overflow area that was quite nice. I guess it would be best just to call ahead to the park office to see what is ,or is coming available.
Bobby
Old 01-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #11

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
We live in NW Florida and camp state parks all winter long have never had reservations and so far have never been turned away. We normally don't camp east of Marianna Fl. We also don't try to. Show up on major holidays. We normally go in on a Monday or late on Sunday after the working people go home. I still remember the working days and trying to camp every weekend so we try to let the working folks have it on the weekend.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have camped all over Florida. I have never made reservations for any campground anywhere. I have always found a spot. One thing I have learned is that most campgrounds always have some spaces that do not show up on reserve America so you cannot reserve them online. Instead, these spots are for the "first come, first served" crowd, and are held open for such folk. Now, if it is a campground in high demand, the trick is to be at the gate early when they first show up to take your money and you can usually score a spot. Quite often it is a primo spot, too!

This same policy takes place at many of the state campgrounds in other states. I discovered it one afternoon in California a few months ago, returning from Alaska. The dam in a huge reservoir was scheduled to open its gates, thereby flooding the stream, and huge flocks of river rafters had reserved about every thing in the campgrounds along this extremely fast moving, rocky stream. I parked at a campground, walked along the river bank inspecting each available site for the reservation sticker indicating the site was reserved. But, near the water and toilets, right on the river bank were two that had no paper. They were held for walkups, I was told when the host came by to take my $6.00 ($9.00?)fee where I parked at the best of the lot. I stayed there about three days, as I recall. Beautiful place. I had a great time. Once again, I had no reservation.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 PM   #13

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Can't wait to get down there later this year to check out some of the parks !!!