From GMC MoHo to TT Life - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #1

Name: Amanda
Trailer: In the market
Minnesota
From GMC MoHo to TT Life

I lived and traveled in a 1976 GMC shorty (23') for many years, then landed in southern MN for a while. Here, I've been living a house/van combo life. Last year, I did a 5 month road trip in my van. It was great, but now I want to take some family with me. I'm taking a serious look at ultra light fiberglass travel trailers because I like the idea of keeping my van with me. I need a floor plan that can accommodate 2 adults and 2 small children for sleeping. I loved my GMC and that helped me develop a preference for fiberglass. I can tow up to 3500 lbs, though I've never towed any thing before. How hard can it be? Right?

Amanda B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
From GMC MoHo to TT Life

Since you’ll be traveling with extra passengers, you won’t have the full tow rating available. 16’ Scamps are available with beds for up to 5 (no bath) or 4 (wet bath). They’re about the mostest (beds) for the leastest (weight and cost) you can find in molded fiberglass. They typically run 2400-2800# loaded, depending on layout, equipment, and loading.

If you don’t require a bath, a Scamp 13 (c.1500-1800#) also fits the bill. We are 2+2 and pull a Scamp 13 with our 3500# rated Honda Pilot.

Towing does add an extra dimension to RV travel, but since you’re already experienced driving a large, tall vehicle, you’re ahead of the curve. You will be learning about trailer brakes, hitch weight, and load balancing for stable towing. And of course backing up!

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #3

Minnesota
Thanks Jon

Yes, I'm leaning in the direction of the 16' Scamp w/wet bath and bunks. Glad you're talking about the towing. I do have concerns about it, and I have been wondering if the 3500 lb towing capacity of the Honda Odyssey included the weight of additional gear and people in the van. And then there's hitch weight to consider also, right? The towing will be a learning curve for me.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
From GMC MoHo to TT Life

Check your owner’s manual. My Pilot has a chart showing how trailer and tongue weight ratings decrease for each 150# passenger (or equivalent cargo) after the first two. You should be okay with two small kids as long as you don’t plan to bring too much gear.

Tongue weight of a 16’ Scamp will be around 275#, perhaps a bit less for the front bunk layout. You can tweak it according to how you load the trailer, but you want at least 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue for stable (sway resistant) towing.

Don’t know what year your Odyssey is, but check whether it has an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler installed. If not, that would be a good conversation to have with your mechanic or dealer. Some years require it for the maximum tow rating. It’s all in the towing section of your manual.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #5

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1974 Hunter Compact II & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Your "10,000 lb Hot Rod" 23 FT GMC can tow any fiberglass trailer you desire. Hook up and GO!

In my opinion if you have a side bath 23 FT GMC you have the most desirable GMC motorhome GM every made!

I have had 5 or 6 GMC's. All 23 FT with the exception of 1 26 FT. Could not git rid of that 26 FT coach fast enough!

Go git your 23 FT GMC back!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #6

Minnesota
Yes, it was the side bath, and I loved it. Ran around in it for nearly 10 years, then wanted to be stationary for a while. But I saw no reason to take it off the road, so found another good owner for it, and it's still on the road.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #7

Minnesota
Okay, thanks for the good advice, Jon. I'm reading about towing on this site as well. Already learning quite a bit.