Furnace Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Furnace Question

New to the forum and looking at Fiberglass RVs. I have a question about the furnace used in the Casita and Scamp. How hot does the front of the furnace get? I noticed the Casita furnace is right next to the dinette. When its made into a bed does the front get hot enough to be concerned if a blanket or pillow ended up against it?
Thanks,
Tony
TCMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I don't know about the Casita but on my Scamp the furnace is located under the stove top. It gets warm to touch but not hot enough to touch that it would burn. Suspect it is due to the size of our trailers the furnace only runs for short periods to heat up the trailer so the grill doesnt get a chance to get to hot. I would not want to leave any bedding touching it though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We have used our furnace quite a lot over the last decade, and have had no issues concerning the front of the furnace. In fact we have had a plastic egg character magnet stuck to the furnace for years with no ill effects.
The only bad thing is that it feels like a hairdryer blowing on your legs when you sit on the edge of the bed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMJ View Post
New to the forum and looking at Fiberglass RVs. I have a question about the furnace used in the Casita and Scamp. How hot does the front of the furnace get? I noticed the Casita furnace is right next to the dinette. When its made into a bed does the front get hot enough to be concerned if a blanket or pillow ended up against it?
Thanks,
Tony

I used a temperature probe a few years ago because of furnace concerns. I found one spot that was hot enough that I didn't want to keep my hand on it for very long. That spot (facing the furnace) upper right. Reading temperatures I found NO spots hot enough for paper ignition.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #5

Name: Tony
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Thanks for all the replies.
TCMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #6

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Canadian Tire sells an infrared heat detector with a good readout you may have something like that in your local store; ours cost about $59 if you are concerned?

Tags
furnace