Future Egg owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: in the market
British Columbia
Future Egg owner

Hi All
This is a very informative site from everything I have seen .

I am looking to buy a fiberglass trailer . Have any Canadians purchased in the US ? what are the extra costs and issues to watch for .

Thanks...Mike
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco View Post
Hi All
This is a very informative site from everything I have seen .

I am looking to buy a fiberglass trailer . Have any Canadians purchased in the US ? what are the extra costs and issues to watch for .

Thanks...Mike
I have purchased both vehicles and trailers in the US and brought them back to New Brunswick. For any vehicle being exported from the US you must provide the US border crossing with a copy of the title and bill of sale at least 72 hours before you plan to bring it across. When you arrive at the border you stop at the US Customs office to declare it and an officer will come out and check the VIN against the paper work you provided. There is no cost for this and it takes 5 minutes.
When you declare the unit at Canadian Customs they'll prepare a Form 1. You will need this to register your unit. If the unit is less than 15 years old you will have to go through RIV (Registry of Import Vehicles). The cost is $205. You register on line as soon as you get home . You will need the number on Form 1 to start the process at RIV. Before you can register the unit you will need to wait for the OK from RIV and then take the unit to Canadian Tire to have them do a Federal Inspection to ensure the vehicle meets Canadian Standards. This is separate from a Provincial Safety Inspection. If the unut is 15 years old or older RIV is not required.
While this may sound complicated it really isn;t and everyone along the way is helpful.
I have always secured a transit permit from the state the unit was purchased in to permit me to tow it home.

I hope this helps.

Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I see you're located in Victoria. One of the finest molded trailer manufacturers is located not far from you: Escape Trailer Industries They occasionally get other brands of molded trailers in on trade and perhaps even Escapes in on trade for a different/newer model. Would be worth checking out. Reace and Tammy, the owners of Escape Trailer Industries, are fine, fine people... you'll like them!

Good luck in the egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
I have purchased both vehicles and trailers in the US and brought them back to New Brunswick. For any vehicle being exported from the US you must provide the US border crossing with a copy of the title and bill of sale at least 72 hours before you plan to bring it across. When you arrive at the border you stop at the US Customs office to declare it and an officer will come out and check the VIN against the paper work you provided. There is no cost for this and it takes 5 minutes.
Barrie
I have also purchased a new car and a used trailer in the US. Cross border shopping at it best. No duty if the car &/or trailer where built in the USA or Canada. I had to pay the GST on both the car and the trailer at the border and the PST when I registered them. Not sure how they handle it now with the new HST we have here in BC.

As Barrie mentioned it not hard to do and he has given a pretty good run down of the process. In the case of a trailer though you do not need to give them anything prior to arriving at the border where they may or may not check the VIN - true story they didnt on either a brand new car or the used trailer - never opened the door on either. Its only with a car that you need to send the paper work to them at least 72 hours ahead of time.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper