Future Egg Owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Kristen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
Future Egg Owner

Hello. My name is Kristen and I'm in St. Louis. I've been bugging my husband to buy a TT for a while now and he's finally showing some interest. After some research, I hope to find a used Casita, Escape or anything fiberglass. Not sure how long it will take to find something here in the midwest though. I love this site - all the information and friendly comments are inspiring.

Thanks,
Kristen
Kristen in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Kristen, welcome! One never knows, the search could be long or it might be very short. Used ones pop up for sale at random times.

Have you any feeling about what size you'd like? 13, 16, larger? Or are you open to any size at this point?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Kristen, to FiberglassRV. We're glad you here!

On the egg hunt... cool! As far as time, it takes as long as it takes. It will depend on your budget, tow weight limit, layout needed and condition you'll accept. I'm betting you'll find just what you need.

Keep an on: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #4

Missouri
Thank you both! I definately want a shower and toilet, so that would be 16-17 minimum, I think. It's just us + one almost 10 year old. Regarding tow limit... I only know this because we visited a local dealer that told us we'd be sorry if we get anything under 29 feet! We were told the Ram 1500 could tow 6000 comfortably. For layout and condition... I'm just not sure. Need sleeping for 3, but would like extra room for friends. I haven't been able to figure out what kind of rehab skills are necessary for these. If basic wood working and sewing, minor plumbing/electrical, I think we could handle something that needs a lot of work. But never having done this before and not even seeing one in person yet, I'd hate to get us into a project that's too big for us. But so far, dreaming and hunting is fun. Hopefully with more investigation and knowledge, I'll be prepared when the right one shows up. And I have no idea what the budget should be! Prices seem to be all over the place. I'm very glad that I found this site.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #5

Name: Patricia
Trailer: Casita Spirit DL 2007
Oregon
Hi Kristen,
I just finally purchased a 17 Ft Casita & adding my own touches at this point. I researched looked and bid on several Casitas before finally getting mine. They go very fast when they do come up for sale. Look for one that has everything possible that you want & of course condition and location of sale are important. I would suggest going to the Casita site and look at optional features for the different sizes. It's a good start. I'm very excited for you and good luck in your search! Can't wait to take my first trip when mine is all spiffied up!
Scrappinpat
scrappinpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #6

Missouri
Hi, Scrappinpat.
When you say you bid on several, does that mean you bid online - site unseen? If so, how'd you prepare for that? Or were you able to view them in person before committing to buying them? Everything I've been reading about buying a used trailer is all about inspecting it before buying it. But maybe it's different with fiberglass TT's. I've browsed the Casita site, but I'll follow your advice and really decide what we're looking for. Thanks for the information.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #7

Name: Sharon&Roger
Trailer: 2012 13ft Scamp
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen in MO View Post
Hello. My name is Kristen and I'm in St. Louis. I've been bugging my husband to buy a TT for a while now and he's finally showing some interest. After some research, I hope to find a used Casita, Escape or anything fiberglass. Not sure how long it will take to find something here in the midwest though. I love this site - all the information and friendly comments are inspiring.

Thanks,
Kristen
Hi Kristen,
We just purchased a bigfoot so that we can take our grandkids with us camping, so our 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe is now for sale. You can see it at Casitaclub.com. We live close by in Springfield Missouri. Sharon and Roger
Swasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swasson View Post
Hi Kristen,
We just purchased a bigfoot so that we can take our grandkids with us camping, so our 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe is now for sale. You can see it at Casitaclub.com. We live close by in Springfield Missouri. Sharon and Roger
Direct link: 2011 Casita Liberty 17' Deluxe - Excellent! - Classifieds - The Casita Club Forums
Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #9

Name: Sharon&Roger
Trailer: 2012 13ft Scamp
Missouri
Thanks Donna!
Swasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The dealer suggested a 29' because that's where the best profit is at !!!
That said, start lookin' now, used FGRV prices are just past the lowpoint for the year and have started up, up, up. Most years we can see a 33-50% difference between winter low and summer peak prices on usee FGRV's

And YES, you have to be able to inspect, inspect and then inspect anything you buy.

My #1 Tip.... If it sounds like a good buy, and is still available in a week, it isn't.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #11

Download, print and take with you every single time you're looking at a used trailer: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List
Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #12

Missouri
Swasson and Donna, thank you for the listing. we don't know what our actual budget is yet, but that's a higher starting point than we were thinking. I think our first one will be more of a fixer-upper. Good luck with finding the right buyer.

Mr. Miller and Donna, thank you for your comments and the link to the checklist. Glad to know NOT to buy anything sight unseen. We are not in a hurry and do want to find the best deal possible. I'm wondering if we should focus efforts to learn now and hope to buy next winter when prices are historically lower. My husband showed interest, but he's not as far along as I am with being ready to own one yet. So I have some work to do on that front
Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #13

Name: frankie
Trailer: 1971 hunter compact jr
Texas
It took me a month to find my lil compact jr. Inthat month I was also looking at about 10 other trailers that were canned ham style with no titles or needing a lot of wood work inside no dice for me no title no way ... do some looking on here see what style u my want to try to look for ... the hunt is tha best part u never know a ride in tha country may yeild tha find of a life time.... and as far as tha fixing up part its all on this site and most is fairly easy with minimum skills but tha more friend s u have tha more skills u have access too to help u out
frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
It will take time to decide on what your budget is.
$$ + fix-it-up = $$$

or, new(er) $$$$

Here's one I thought was in OK but is in VA.
Classifieds
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #15

NE Oklahoma
Here's one in Missouri.........From the forum:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...obo-55364.html

SORRY......this has been sold.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Smile Cost Formulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
It will take time to decide on what your budget is.
$$ + fix-it-up = $$$

or, new(er) $$$$

Here's one I thought was in OK but is in VA.
Classifieds
-------
--------------------------------------------------------------
In used fgrv's that formula frequently becomes:

Really Good Used = $$$$
Fixer $$ + Fix Up Costs $$$ = $$$$$

Axiom: Buy as good as you possibly can, unless you value your labor @ $3/hour and/or enjoy certain kinds of pain, that almost always comes out less than buying a fixer. Been there/Done that many, many times.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #17

NE Oklahoma
Being disabled I had to go for new with minimal maintenance expectations.