future full-timer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: future full-timer
Utah
future full-timer

I am preparing to go full-time in Aug. 2017. There is no time like the present to start planning. I am getting the impression that fiberglass is the way to go. I would like to get input in order to make the right decision. Many thanks. Am looking forward to participating in discussions.
johnwarrensimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Will you be traveling alone? Pets?

We started with a motorhome and about 8 years ago switched to small trailers and are totally happy with our FRV.

Beyond initial cost, there's maintenance cost and operating cost advantages. Even more important to us is the ease of use compared to bigger rigs and access to places you can't reach with a bigger rig.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's an old saying "Plans are worthless, planning is priceless" The lesson here is do a lot of planning, but the moment you retire through out the plans and just go.

Traveling after retirement is the best. Not full timing but really enjoying the traveling. Next week we expect to off.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Give us a few more clues and more help will be forthcoming

1. How many will be in your retirement party
2. Do you currently have a tow vehicle you want to use or will you be buying another
3. What kind of amenities do you need
4. If buying used, What age & condition can you accept, Turnkey >>>>> Fixer
5. What is your approximate timeline and budget

Good luck in your planning, you are off to good start

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwarrensimpson View Post
I am preparing to go full-time in Aug. 2017. There is no time like the present to start planning. I am getting the impression that fiberglass is the way to go. I would like to get input in order to make the right decision. Many thanks. Am looking forward to participating in discussions.
Welcome, John!
Few people think they can full time in a small egg. If you are looking at eggs, then you must think you can. There are a few fulltimers using fiberglass trailers and doing just great. The build quality is certainly better than most. You can attend a rally to see the different companies. If you want to see a certain brand, you can call the company and ask for the names of owners near you to visit.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: future full-timer
Utah
I will be traveling solo. I expect to do a lot of boondocking. My interests are seeking out dark sky sites while I do my stargazing. Will be writing a book about cultural astronomy. Would like to do solar for as much as I can. I live a simple life. My needs are not great. One of my mantras is "Solitude, Silence, and Darkness." Though it will be interesting to meet others who are on similar pathways. From what I have seen so far the Escape 19' looks promising. I am looking forward to these conversations.
I am planning to purchase Toyota Tundra 5.7 v-8 for towing and independent explorations and day trips. Planning to spend a lot of time in the in the West (Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona).
johnwarrensimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Two really dark locations.

Chaco Canyon south of Farmington, NM. National Park far from a street light and relatively few visitors.

Rusty's RV Park, Rodeo, NM, nearth the Chiricahua Mountains. Numerous nations have remote controlled Telescopes nearby and many local amatuer telescopes. Rusty's has two medium size reflectors. This is a Passport park with huge sites.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #8

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
You might find this blog interesting: rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more She lives full time in a 17' Casita and usually boondocks.

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwarrensimpson View Post
I will be traveling solo. I expect to do a lot of boondocking. My interests are seeking out dark sky sites while I do my stargazing. Will be writing a book about cultural astronomy. Would like to do solar for as much as I can. I live a simple life. My needs are not great. One of my mantras is "Solitude, Silence, and Darkness." Though it will be interesting to meet others who are on similar pathways. From what I have seen so far the Escape 19' looks promising. I am looking forward to these conversations.
I am planning to purchase Toyota Tundra 5.7 v-8 for towing and independent explorations and day trips. Planning to spend a lot of time in the in the West (Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona).
FYI - Death Valley is a designated dark place. Not a place to be in the summer but a great place in the winter for viewing stars.