Gail in Newfoundland Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #1

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Newfoundland
Gail in Newfoundland Canada

Hi! Gail in Newfoundland Canada. Most easterly province if Cabada and Newfoundland is an island .

Looking for light weight 13 foot camper . My Toyota 2010 1.8 L 4 cinder has tow ratingbif 2000. Have owned in the past 2 Boler 13 foot . First was in car accident 7 years ago and the latest I just sold last year for minor welding issue that welder would not touch. Looking back I should have kept it and gut second opinion . Instead I got scared and sold and sold it for $3000.

It’s just me and adult daughter and our 2 dogs. It’s really difficult to pick up light weight cMpers here! Even a 10 foot pop up camper is beyond my towing weight restriction once you factor in our human weights and dogs and food etc.

Interested in a 2012 Riverside Whitewater 12 foot but the seller won’t send me photos other than stock photos taken in what looks like a dealer parking lot. He is 2 provinces away including a 10 hour drive to get to ferry to go 8 hours ferry just to get to more driving time. I’m afraid of getting scAmmed so cannot just send money etransfer without being sure trailer exists and is what he says it is !

Gail
gdavis120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Welcome, but I have to say that you probably aren't going to find much of anything in a fiberglass trailer, even a 13 footer, that isn't going to overload your tow capacity at only 2,000 Lbs. Don't forget, that is a maximum towing rating, which also has no allowance for whatever else in addition to the trailer that you will also be adding, to either your Toyota as well as the trailer, (i.e. people, clothes, food and beverages, camping equipment, etc,) because all the weight needs to be factored in, not just the bare trailer and tongue weights. And you probably won't be very happy with the towing performance with that little 1.8 L engine. I think that my lawnmower engine is bigger than that, so I wouldn't think of it as suitable for towing.

Sorry to be less than reassuring, but I think that you may be wanting something that won't work out very well, if at all.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Either a motorcycle pop up or a simple teardrop, neither are sized for two adults plus two dogs. Need to consider a larger tow vehicle. Really nothing wrong with camping with a tent, we did that for years with our old Toyota SR pickup, took our large dog with us, and had a lot of fun and great memories too!

Yes, on some of these trailers, its easier to deal with a welding issue with the box off the frame. $3000cdn Bolers are quite rare.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #4

Newfoundland
Thank you for your response .
We were however more than pleased with our 2 separate Boler trailers over the course of about 13 years total. First with a 99 Saturn wagon which did not have the power of my Toyota Corolla which I’ve used 2 separate ones . It got us safely where we wanted to go ... and back . I. I am aware of the need to include the weyghtbifbpassengers/ digs/ gear in that 2000 towing rating . I was just simply asking if there were any known lightweight trailers around 1000 lbs available in Eastern Canada / Atlantic provinces .
Thanks
Old 02-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #5

Newfoundland
Thank you fur yiur resonse. Havevalso camoed with tent - prefer not to thanks. Teardrops are mostly heavier than my tow capacity as are pop up campers unfortunately . Our Bolers served us well for a combined 13 years . Got us safely where we wanted to go and back . Farthest we ever go is about 5 hours drive away one way.

Yes I undersold my Boler . I’m sadly aware .
Thanks
Old 02-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Gail!

Two models to watch for: Eriba Puck and Predom Cadet.

The Puck has a molded roof with an aluminum frame and sides. There's a pop-up roof section over the front galley for stand-up headroom and a large bed at the back that you might be able to use as two twins. Unloaded weight is about 900#. There's a company in California that's making a reproduction called the Meerkat, but they're new and pretty pricey, around US$16-18K.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Puck.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	127751

The Cadet is all-molded and closer to the Boler in size and layout. Guessing unloaded weight is about 1100#. It also has a pop-up roof section.
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Cadet.jpg Views: 9 Size: 51.1 KB ID: 127753" style="margin: 2px" />

Both the Puck and the Cadet are rare, vintage European imports in high demand because of their light weight, so snagging one will not be easy. As others have said, with a limited budget, isolated location, and very limited tow rating, your choices are few. There may be others, and you'll have to take each one on a case-by-case basis.

But don't dwell on past regrets. Keep looking, be patient, and I'm sure eventually something will work out!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Another light weight trailer is the little joe by weiscraft
Mfg in Colorado
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Gail in Newfoundland Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Another light weight trailer is the little joe by weiscraft
Mfg in Colorado
Good idea, and its lighter predecessor, Lite House- same shell with lighter weight undercarriage, would be an ever better choice. The narrow width would make them an easier tow behind a smaller vehicle. Both are pretty rare, sadly.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #9

Name: Mel
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel
Nova Scotia
I have had 6 13 ft Bolers from 74 to 85. Presently have 2 Scamps. I love them both. I will keep an eye for one for you from Nova Scotia. Feel free to message me. A good Boler sold near here last week for the same price as you sold your last one. mocomeau@ns.sympatico.ca
Mel Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Hi Gail, my wife and I are Calgary Newfies. We have camped in all 10 provices so far. Trailers are indeed expensive on The Rock and in shorter supply than on the mainland.
We remember our Newfie camping trips well, winding roads, wind and steep hills don't help. Tents and tent trailers don't do well in wind and rain.
I would have to agree with the previous comments about a heavier tow vehicle to give you more options.
What part of The Rock do you hail from?
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Gail, if you can stay within your tow ratings, gross vehicle weight rating and gross combined vehicle weight rating, you might consider the Boler 13 again! That's if you can find one similar to my previous 1974 Boler 13. It weighed 1140 lbs. unloaded and with no tanks, no battery. The weight DID include all cushions. Great camper.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:47 AM   #12

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis120 View Post
Hi! Gail in Newfoundland Canada. Most easterly province if Cabada and Newfoundland is an island .

Looking for light weight 13 foot camper . My Toyota 2010 1.8 L 4 cinder has tow ratingbif 2000. Have owned in the past 2 Boler 13 foot . First was in car accident 7 years ago and the latest I just sold last year for minor welding issue that welder would not touch. Looking back I should have kept it and gut second opinion . Instead I got scared and sold and sold it for $3000.

It’s just me and adult daughter and our 2 dogs. It’s really difficult to pick up light weight cMpers here! Even a 10 foot pop up camper is beyond my towing weight restriction once you factor in our human weights and dogs and food etc.

Interested in a 2012 Riverside Whitewater 12 foot but the seller won’t send me photos other than stock photos taken in what looks like a dealer parking lot. He is 2 provinces away including a 10 hour drive to get to ferry to go 8 hours ferry just to get to more driving time. I’m afraid of getting scAmmed so cannot just send money etransfer without being sure trailer exists and is what he says it is !

Gail
:Instead of paying the out of site price for the big ferry why not go up on west Coast to other Ferry and get off in Labrador and travel the 500 miles to Quebec City area. I believe this road is mostly paved now only around 100 miles not paved but might be paved all the way.
Pretty costly to buy trailer else where then pay the fee on Ferry for 8 hours and sometimes more if weather is rough.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #13

Nova Scotia
Gail. Mel Comeau here. That Boler I was talking about is still for sale. The owner just called me. I can get it for you and maybe even tow it to Nfld for you. Here is a summary of it. "Hello. I had been holding the 97 Boler for a guy, but hes unable to come up with the funds. So it is still available. I thought id reply to you before i reposted it, because i was overwhelmed with the msg last time. So, im startimg with you. It is in need of renovation, paint on exterior, and a complete cleanup or redo on the inside. I can get it for less than you sold yours for. Please reply to mocomeau@ns.sympatico.ca Thank you
Old 02-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #14

Nova Scotia
I now have my 6th Boler13 in 30 years. I just bought it. I also have a 16 and an 18 ft Scamp. Love them all. :-)
Old 02-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #15

Name: Keith
Trailer: 2016 Casita Freedom Deluxe
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis120 View Post

Gail
Gail do not send money. If he is not sending pics there is a reason...sohold your money, you will find something.
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote