Gave money to charity, got a trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Gave money to charity, got a trailer

My wife and I had been throwing around the idea of picking up a travel trailer for the last year. We wanted to stick to the light fiberglass trailers so we didn't need to buy a bigger tow vehicle. We took a trip to the midwest this year and ended up going to the Scamp factory. That visit, plus a visit to Glacier National Park this summer spotting some "cute" trailers, my wife was ready to pull the trigger. The plan was to put a deposit down on a new one by the end of the year.

There is a charity auction by me that runs every other week selling vehicles donated to a veterans association. My wife is in grad school and spends much of the weekend studying, so I'm always looking for an excuse to get out of the house. Well, a few weeks ago there just so happened to be a Casita on the block. As the bids went up, it was stalling well below market value, so I started bidding. High bid was mine, a trip to the bank for a cashier's check later, and it was towed home.

Its a 1997 16' Casita Liberty Deluxe. The plates on it expired in 2003, so its been off the road for a while, but it was at the very least under a carport because it appears to be in fairly solid condition. I'm sure it will need some work, but for what I have into it, I'm not too worried.

First thing was to get new tires, as they were all the originals from 1997. Now I'm going through it testing systems and cleaning it. Everything appears to work, though I'm still waiting on parts to test the water heater.

I'm looking forward to no longer sleeping on the ground!

TTaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:21 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Nice find. Looks like a 16' deluxe? Obviously very well taken care of. New tires, grease the bearings, adjust the brakes. I'd check for leaks around any holes in the shell, windows, lights, vents etc. Sealants do dry out over time. Take care of it and you'll have a trailer for life.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:57 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I also scored mine mainly by being in the right place at the right time. Well done! Enjoy.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #4

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
How exciting and congrats to you on that terrific camper!
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Well done. The outside looks to be in very nice shape, hopefully the inside matches.
Looks like it has AC but not the furnace?
It and you would benefit from bringing the waste system up to modern standards. That's a fun project and not too difficult. I've done it on two '90s casitas and it's really worth doing.
Welcome to the fiberglass world. Lots of good friends to meet here.

Walt
Old 11-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Beautiful! We really enjoyed our Casita. Keep us posted as you make modifications or renovations. Well done indeed.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:26 PM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Well done. The outside looks to be in very nice shape, hopefully the inside matches.
Looks like it has AC but not the furnace?
It and you would benefit from bringing the waste system up to modern standards. That's a fun project and not too difficult. I've done it on two '90s casitas and it's really worth doing.
Welcome to the fiberglass world. Lots of good friends to meet here.

Walt
What is needed to bring a 1997 Casita up to modern waste standards?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #8

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
What is needed to bring a 1997 Casita up to modern waste standards?
Two major mods.

1. Replace the rubber p-trap from the shower with a Hepvo valve. No more forgetting to open the gate valve every time you take a shower. Casita now does that on all new trailers. You could also replace the p-valves on the two sinks with Hepvos and never need the pink stuff again.

2. Combine Black and gray tanks into a single 3" bayonet drain valve , the way all trailers are configured these days. Makes the stop at the dump station a whole lot easier.

I did those mods before Little House Customs started marketing their kits, but hopefully the kits are still available. I spent most of one Pineknot Rally under my Casita working on that mod.

Walt
Old 11-26-2020, 08:16 PM   #9

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTaM View Post
My wife and I had been throwing around the idea of picking up a travel trailer for the last year. We wanted to stick to the light fiberglass trailers so we didn't need to buy a bigger tow vehicle. We took a trip to the midwest this year and ended up going to the Scamp factory. That visit, plus a visit to Glacier National Park this summer spotting some "cute" trailers, my wife was ready to pull the trigger. The plan was to put a deposit down on a new one by the end of the year.

There is a charity auction by me that runs every other week selling vehicles donated to a veterans association. My wife is in grad school and spends much of the weekend studying, so I'm always looking for an excuse to get out of the house. Well, a few weeks ago there just so happened to be a Casita on the block. As the bids went up, it was stalling well below market value, so I started bidding. High bid was mine, a trip to the bank for a cashier's check later, and it was towed home.

Its a 1997 16' Casita Liberty Deluxe. The plates on it expired in 2003, so its been off the road for a while, but it was at the very least under a carport because it appears to be in fairly solid condition. I'm sure it will need some work, but for what I have into it, I'm not too worried.

First thing was to get new tires, as they were all the originals from 1997. Now I'm going through it testing systems and cleaning it. Everything appears to work, though I'm still waiting on parts to test the water heater.

I'm looking forward to no longer sleeping on the ground!

Nice find. Hope the black holding tank is not only 5 gallons like our 86 was. If so then it could be changed to a larger one. Looks like you can have many nice times in this one.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #10

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the Market
Missouri
I'm always in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, someday...
beerster69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #11

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Nice find! We were mulling over a fiberglass trailer and happened to go by one with a for sale sign on it just 3 miles from the house, a 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17.
A quick inspection and a trip to the bank the following day and it was ours. You never know what fate awaits but karma has a way of working things out. Yours looks to be in better shape than ours!
Congratulations!

Ron
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #12

SW Virginia
Ron
I have a somewhat similar story.
A good friend was looking for a used Casita, having seen and liked mine.
At some point I stepped out of a nearby restaurant after lunch and found myself looking across the highway at a 13' Casita with a for sale sign on it.
He and his wife have now thoroughly enjoyed their little house for several years.

Walt
Old 12-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
You never know when things will happen. I told the Wife it was a sign we were ment to have a Casita!

Ron
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote